Start by marking “Arabic for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Arabic for Dummies

Arabic for Dummies

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Regarded as one of the most difficult languages to learn for native English speakers by the U.S. State Department, Arabic is gaining both prominence and importance in America. Recent world events have brought more and more Americans and other English speakers into contact with Arabic-speaking populations, and governments and businesses are increasingly aware of the importa ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Arabic for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arabic for Dummies

Fred Kohn
This book didn't work for me at all. I suppose it might be OK for an international traveler wanting to pick up some Arabic in a hurry. The emphasis was on vocabulary and common phrases. I was more interested in grammar and word construction, and there wasn't much of that. Most annoying was the unacceptable number of mistakes in the transliteration of Arabic characters into Latin characters: words in the wrong order, the wrong word transliterated, words left out, and sometimes even the wrong symb ...more
Colleen
Sep 12, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
Reading again. Want to build my Arabic skills back up and better, but this really isn't cutting it. Anyone know a speaker who'd offer tutoring?
Batool Al-Saeedi
Jun 24, 2015 Batool Al-Saeedi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does not teach Arabic exactly, but gives some idea about it.
Arabic is my mother language. I read this book just to see haw non-Arabic speakers can learn this difficult language.
I can say that the book is easy and interesting. However, it's like the first step in gaining the language but not mastering it (mastering a language needs a lot of practice. you can't get it by reading only)
Another comment is that there are some slight mistakes in translation and in other things.
Overall, I like it and
Michael
May 15, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this is a good, easy to read overview of the Arabic language. No, you will not be fluent in Arabic after reading it, but you will have a good reference on its alphabet, grammar, terms, and common word usages. In addition, it adds some helpful tips on common Arab customs and on travel to Arab countries.

I found it a useful companion to the Rosetta Arabic language learning software, which provides very little structured information on Arabic alphabet or grammar.
Margaret Cunningham
Fantastic reference guide to the very basic Arabic for a monolingual Scots lass such as myself. As expected with attempting to learn any language, the very basic of greetings taken from this guide were often met with laughter from my Arab friends. If only the guide had a section on the regional variations of Arabic.
Mar 18, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know arabic after reading this. I also don't need to know how to say "my mother's brother's cousin on his father's side."
Kea Grace
Dec 24, 2013 Kea Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-and-study
Solid, basic overview presented in easy-to-digest chunks.
Syafiq Firdaus
Syafiq Firdaus marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Will M
Will M marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Maher
Maher marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Lui Morais
Lui Morais marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Charlotte White
Charlotte White marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Gb
Gb marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Cabdi
Cabdi added it
Jul 31, 2016
Arkinsbow
Arkinsbow is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2016
Guro Fcqialadze
Guro Fcqialadze marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Hobburglar
Hobburglar marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Daniel Van Horn
Daniel Van Horn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Dina Alagha
Dina Alagha marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Baldeep Singh
Baldeep Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Plucino
Plucino is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Pedram
Pedram marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Angela Roman
Angela Roman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Albert B. Wolf
Albert B. Wolf rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Sarah Alaa
Sarah Alaa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016