Start by marking “Ten Years Later” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,928 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The third and final volume of the 'd'Artagnon Romances', of which "The Three Musketeers" and "Twenty Years After" constitute the first and second volumes, The Vicomte de Bragelonne was first serialized between October 1847 to January 1850. It has subsequently been published in three, four, and five-volume editions. Our edition contains four volumes: "The Vicomte de Bragelo ...more
Published May 19th 2011 by Neeland Media LLC (first published 1847)

Irene
Jan 22, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to read all of the D'Artagnan Romances
Shelves: fiction
First, a recap. I am reading the D'Artagnan Romances via the FREE Kindle ebooks available on Amazon:

Book 1: The Three Musketeers
Book 2: Twenty Years After
Book 3a: The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Book 3b: Ten Years Later
Book 3c: Louise de la Vallière
Book 3d: The Man in the Iron Mask

Ten Years Later actually refers to the ten years in between Twenty Years After and The Vicomte de Bragelonne, so really, I think the titles of Books 3a and 3b should have been swapped. While the Vicomte still is not consiste
Reni
I wish I cared about any of the romance subplots, because there are some beautiful descriptions in there, but this book simply has too much detail. I feel like Cate Blanchett in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" when she foolishly tells the aliens that what she wants for a reward is to "know everything" and consequently her head explodes.

Only my head feels swollen not only from too much information but also from boredom.

Well at least the much more exciting power struggle between Colbert and Fouqu
Ragne
Again, this was OK, but had alot of stuff I'm not sure why is in there. I'm starting to think that these books could just as well have been one volume, with as many pages as one of the books.
The language is of course beautiful, but again, it's so "flowery", it makes it much, much longer than it needed to be.
This book, I skimmed through much of it, as long periods didn't really have anything to say for the story. The next, I will probably be even more selective in what I choose to read thorough
Gabriel C.
Feb 04, 2017 Gabriel C. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Wearying. Slightly amusing at points but far too heavy on romance and royal farce and too light on adventure, derring-do, and intrigue.
William
Jan 07, 2017 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The edition I am reading divides the third story into four separate novels:

Vicomte de Bragelonne
Louise de La Vallière
The Man in the Iron Mask

This review is for Ten Years Later. Once again, the characterization is outstanding. This installment shifts focus to the younger crowd; particularly Louis XIV and his sister-in-law’s (Henrietta of England) court. Plenty of court intrigue is present.

Dangerous politics are also at play, especially regarding Aramis.

I really enjoyed this novel
Megan Gery
***This review is for the entire D'Artagnan Romance series (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask).***

The entire D'Artagnan Romance series is well over a million words long and spans several volumes and forty years in the lives of its main characters, the famous musketeers. The prodigious Alexandre Dumas wrote this epic tale to be published in the serial magazines that were popular during his day,
Ig-88
Oct 02, 2016 Ig-88 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laboriosam est ullam sint id molestiae rerum. Blanditiis quam quaerat tenetur unde est. Laboriosam et quia non. Voluptas et quas voluptates. Ipsa aut magni sed quis.
Marko
Dec 08, 2014 Marko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excerpt from my review at: http://susimetsa.blogspot.fi/2014/12/...

Dumas' writing style, already discussed in my previous piece, continues here as well and the dialogue is rather meandering and it often takes the characters a page or two to get to the point that they wanted to express. While amusing, it adds to the feeling of unnecessary length of the plot itself - I'm sorry to say that I found the courtly games and descriptions of the extravagance relatively boring reads and the love affairs we
Jon Pentecost
Dec 13, 2016 Jon Pentecost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dumas is still an excellent writer. This book focused much more on the intrigues of a young court, and is clearly mainly preparatory for Louise de la Valliere and The Man in the Iron Mask, so it dragged a bit at times.

I'm excited for the next step in these adventures of D'Artagnan and co, though
Arctic
Feb 18, 2008 Arctic marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
From Wikipedia:

"The third and last of the d'Artagnan Romances following The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. It appeared first in serial form between 1847 and 1850. In the English translations the 268 chapters of this large volume are usually subdivided into three, but sometimes four or even five individual books. In three-volume English editions, the three volumes are titled "The Vicomte de Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask." Each of these volumes is ro
John (Taloni) Taloni
Kind of tedious. It's more of D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers, but they have descended into parody. Porthos goes from the somewhat tubby and strong member of the Musketeers to an almost ogre-like giant. D'Artagnan has his status pushed back to where it was at the start of Twenty Years Later, apparently just because Dumas didn't know what else to do.

The characters contend against historical events again, and as historical fiction it is a fairly painless way to learn. It's just that the charac
Dave Turner
May 24, 2013 Dave Turner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
*Please note I'm reading the 4 book set as opposed to the popular three book or obscure five book set*

In the second part of 'The Viscomte of Braglonne' the story subsides somewhat and takes a rather relaxed pace. There are really two competing storylines here, one major one (involving the royal family and all who orbit it) and a minor one (relating to the secret of the Bastille) and I, for one, was much more entranced by the latter.

This is still a very slow the trek and were often estranged from
Leslie
This volume (#3.2 in the D'Artagnan series) had less adventure and more plotting than the previous ones in the series. I have already read "The Man in the Iron Mask" (volume #3.4) and I could see that a lot of groundwork for that volume was being laid. I am unhappy about Aramis who (view spoiler) ...more
Ragne
Ds
As much as I always enjoy Dumas' writing and this was indeed the third book (I have the 5-books edition) out of the whole saga, something was missing: the main characters. I'm not one to complain if there's not enough D'Artagnan or Athos and the others..but this was a huge lack of absence and, compared to the previous book, I really felt it. The book was also a bit dragged towards the middle. That's why I gave it four stars instead of 5. Because otherwise, the books is excellent in its plot, wri ...more
Carmen
Aug 17, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am working my way through the entire Three Musketeers saga. Every time I think I am on the verge of finishing the collection, it turns out there is another installment! It is very entertaining but it is also clear that Dumas was getting paid to serialize the story. At last count, it appears to total more than 4,000 pages. I think I am somewhere in the early 3,000's (hard to tell - reading everything except the first installment on my Kindle - still, a great way to spend train commutes. He has ...more
Julie Tichonchuk
Of all of the books comprised in the Three Musketeers saga, this one was my least favorite. I felt like I was stuck in a mixture of Shakespeare's Midsummer Nights Dream and a Harlequin Romance. While I love former, I resist the latter as trivial dribble. I found the story dragging and tedious. I missed D'Artagnan's presence, as well as his faithful companions. I'm not sure what turn Aramis' character has taken. I will read the next two installments to find out.
Jake
Aug 04, 2009 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When I made my way through the Musketeer Saga, this was one of the titles. However, my favorite Musketeer novel is Twenty Years After .

The main fuss I have with Dumas's Musketeer saga is perhaps a childish one. I wish the books boasted the same nonstop action as some of the film adaptations do. Instead, they often focus on political posturing. The pace often drags.
Mar 03, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young D'Artagnan becomes embroiled in court intrigues, international politics, and ill-fated affairs between royal lovers. The book at hand is the second volume of the third serial. Louis XIV is well past the age where he should rule, but the ailing Cardinal Mazarin refuses to relinquish the reins of power. Meanwhile, Charles II, a king without a country, travels Europe seeking aid from his fellow monarchs.
George Isaacs
May 18, 2015 George Isaacs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume delves heavily into the world of 17th century French (and related) royalty. A world so alien to me, I can only visualize it in my mind in a style that mixes the manga/anime work of Mamoru Nagano with that of P. Craig Russell back when he was adapting Michael Moorcock's Elric to comicbooks. This is not a complaint.

(the version I'm reading is not a hardcover, but an ebook from Project Gutenberg. I'll change it later)
Jason
Feb 06, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another section with more political intrigue than action. Even so, it is rife with emotions, clever dialogue, treachery, misunderstandings, and suspense so thick you could cut it with a knife! I enjoyed all of the funny moments with our merry gentlemen as always and I am greatly looking forward to the final section- The Man in the Iron Mask!
Zana
Mar 18, 2012 Zana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, own, fiction, kindle
Wow, the court of Louis XIV is full of thoroughly unpleasant people! And our heroes are nowhere -- or rarely -- to be seen in this volume. Porthos is only mentioned once. The only really interesting parts were the bits where Aramis was laying the groundwork for his plans; he has suddenly become a much more interesting character now that we actually get to see his intrigues.
Dave Johnson
A complete slog. Two stars, though I reserve the right to downgrade it to one after I get through The Man in the Iron Mask and see how necessary all of this backstory really is. Way more court intrigue than the other books. It is a romance, not an adventure story, and though I don't hate the former, I was expecting the latter.
Kirsa
Mar 04, 2011 Kirsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Considering that I hated all the court intrigue throughout the book, and that was pretty much all the book consisted of, I didn't like it much. Poor Raoul. Only one more volume left to read before reading The Man in the Iron Mask!
Adam Gutschenritter
A lot of political intrigue and political romance. I am annoyed with La Valliere and how fickle she is, despite how much she is claimed to be a beacon of virtue. This needs to pick up in the next book.
Kerstin Olcott
This is the fourth book in the Three Musketeers series. I found it most diappointing. There was very little action and way too much court intrigue. I'm hoping the last two in the series do not disappoint.
Jeff Collett
Aug 11, 2013 Jeff Collett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing of Dumas continues to be superb. The story itself is rather drawn out. Not a lot of action in this one but none the less an interesting story. It is witty, smart, and intriguing. I don't mind waiting for climaxes when the writing is good.
Gable Roth
I was very disappointed that the main characters weren't really in this book. As such the story was somewhat slower than the others. Some parts were good but not enough, in my opinion, to account for the slowness of the rest of the story.
Kealan O'ver
I find it hard to imagine this as only part of one giant novel that had a first part as entertaining as it was. This one spends almost every page with the various and unnecessarily convoluted intrigues of the French court. Hopefully the third part will pick up a bit but somehow I doubt it.
Clayton Brannon
Aug 10, 2016 Clayton Brannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues. Intrigue and love surround the Royal Court. Excellent reads. The Dumas series needs to be read in order to really enjoy.
  • Lord Tony's Wife
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Dick Sands the Boy Captain (The Extraordinary Voyages #17)
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • Sylvie and Bruno
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • House of Corruption
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • Love of Life (Short Story Collection)
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • Pharaoh's Son
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...