Start by marking “Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented” as Want to Read:
Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented

Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"It’s a conundrum I can’t understand. Someone’s hankering for pie; you can see the pie-longing in their eyes. They want a delicious flaky crust, something with buttery overtones. They want fresh fruit—not a vague whisper of berry in a butter cream, but overt chunks of apple, discernible bites of berry. But it’s just not done. You don’t serve pie at special events like fift ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Stewart, Tabori & Chang (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pie It Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pie It Forward

Mar 19, 2012 Shoshana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cookbook lovers, pie lovers, bakers
Shelves: favorites, 2012
I love it! Beautiful pictures; (fairly) clear instructions; great anecdotes, side notes, and tips; and I love the author's voice! Instructional, but casual and friendly at the same time. I already made the Chocolate Cream Pie (admittedly with a store-bought crust rather than homemade) and it was delicious!
I’m picky when it comes to cook books. Designs, style, rich color photographs; I pay close attention to all of these things when I consider quality. Even more importantly, I look for recipes that I haven’t already seen hundreds of times. I look for recipes that actually work. All of my criteria are met in the new baking book by Gesine Bullock-Prado, Pie it Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes & other Pastries Reinvented.
This is not Bullock-Prado’s first book. She had me hooked a few years
I found this book at the library. I renewed it the maximum number of times & realized that I had to own this book. Gesine Bullock-Prado makes the most difficult pastry (phyllo) look like something I can do. She talks about pastry requiring finesse. I think I've always possessed the finesse of pastry. She helped me figure out a few more of the mysteries of pastry. I LOVE this book!
Bernette Beals
Pie It Forward review

This cookbook has an amazing amount of information about pie making. It boggles the mind. There's a lot of data to absorb. The only thing I didn't like was there's not a picture for every product.
May 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pie lovers, tart lovers, dessert lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Pie It Forward is a beautiful cookbook with lots of humor and lovely pictures. Based on the information inside (and it's worth reading if you're interested in the perfect crust for all types of pies, tarts, pizzas, etc.), the recipes sound like they're going to be amazing. As I've not tried any of them yet, I'm only giving 4 stars, but I'll update that as soon as I start baking from the recipes, which should be very soon.

The cookbook is full of a variety of treats for lovers of sweet and savory
When I really want to go all out and make a spectacular pie, this is the book I use. It's worth the price just for all the pie crust recipes alone.
I enjoyed flipping through this cookbook. I do love baking, but I don't think I'm that inspired by pies. I enjoy a good pie, but I find them more comforting to make rather than inspiring. Still this book was perfect for a snowy afternoon.
So the only reason I haven't given this five stars is that I didn't actually make anything. The instructions look fine...I think I understand what they are saying. But this looks like many of these creations are a lot of work to make. Much more so than I had time to play with this weekend. And I wish there were more pictures. However, if I ever wanted bakery quality desserts...this would be one of the books I would check out first. And for that fact (and the beautiful pie pops) I would totally g ...more
Jul 05, 2012 Lisa added it
I am not going to rate this since I didn't actually try any of the recipes. That seems like the basis of a cookbook rating, doesn't it? Let me say this, it is really entertaining cookbook. Bullock-Prado is funny and informative. Did you know they really did use to bake blackbirds in pies? (as in the nursery rhyme) Turns out the type of bird and the number of birds put into a pie were a status symbol. One royal family member had whole peacocks. Gross! Anyways, it was interesting to read all the s ...more
Meg Allison
Gorgeously rendered baking book by Vermont's most famous baker, Gesine Bullock-Prado. Gesine's conversational and intimate style of writing make this cookbook as enjoyable to read as it is to pour over the exquisite photographs of pies in all shapes and sizes, from savory to sweet, simple to sublime.

She keeps an amazing website and blog is active on Facebook & Twitter, and shows up at book signings with more pies than you can shake a stick at. It's all good. Very good.

Treat yourself~
I really liked the author's previous book, so I was optimistic about this one. While it is a nice, solid pie cookbook, it is not in the same league as Sugar Baby, her previous book. Most of the recipes are anything you could get from other pie cookbooks, and there are not enough pictures of finished dishes. There are some very helpful technique pictures, and the recipes are solid (although I would put a bit more thickener in my cherry pies because I don't like them really runny).
Jun 20, 2012 Bonnie added it

I love to read this book ....and one of these days I will master pie baking. Gesine is both a talented baker and superb writer. And she has a delightful sense of humor. Raspberry Lemon Tartlets, Fruit Tart, Boston Cream Pie, Lemon Tartlets and Key Lime Pie are recipes I hope to make. And oh yes, her German Apple Custard Tart looks good.
This cookbook is sooooo good. How good? I was reading it on a 100 degree day and was inspired - nay, compelled! - to get off the couch and BAKE something (Bavarian calzones with chicken, lemon-garlic aioli, and brie). Must own this book...
Melissa Fenton
If you are a pie newbie, this is where to start. Gesine writes with humor and style. You will no longer fear pie crust.
I'm sure the recipes are delicious, but I'm not in a pie mood lately.
Doris' Library
Doris' Library marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Reading Faerie
Reading Faerie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Taurean Watkins
Taurean Watkins marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Erika marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Mary Alexandra
Mary Alexandra marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Matt Richichi
Matt Richichi marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • SprinkleBakes: Dessert Recipes to Inspire Your Inner Artist
  • Cutie Pies: 40 Sweet, Savory, and Adorable Recipes
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Butter Baked Goods: Nostalgic Recipes from a Little Neighborhood Bakery
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours
  • The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook: Cookies, Cakes, Candies, and More
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites