Start by marking “The Window at the White Cat (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)” as Want to Read:
The Window at the White Cat (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)

The Window at the White Cat (Barnes & Noble Digital Library)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Politics, poker ... and murder! This 1910 mystery-romance is set in a slightly disreputable gentleman's club. When her father vanishes, a beautiful young girl seeks the help of a well-meaning but inept lawyer. He struggles to solve the case, helped and hindered by a detective, a newsman, and a pair of charming elderly ladies.
Published August 1st 2011 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Window at the White Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Window at the White Cat

Julie Davis
#59 - 2010.

Picked this up from LibriVox and I recommend it highly for the narrration by Robert Keiper which is pure delight. His introduction reads:
When a clumsy, well-meaning lawyer gets involved with a pair of delightful old maids and a beautiful girl, he must acquire some of the skills of his friends the detective and the newspaperman to solve the puzzle of The White Cat. That’s the name of a back-street political club serving beers, political favors and, occasionally, murder.
There is a wick
Michele
I loved this book and will DEFINITELY be reading more of Ms. Rinehart's books. Refreshing to read a book from this time period that was actually written in this time period.....all details were totally correct and no chance of historical inaccuracies, as the author only knew her own time period.
Mandolin
With her trademark skill at telling a story rich with ominous portents and foreboding, Rinehart recounts a dark tale of a crooked politician's disappearance and subsequent murder, into which John Knox, a bachelor attorney, is drawn when he falls head over heels in love with the politician's engaged daughter. Clues, like suspects, are everywhere - from missing pearls to switched cases and strange notes scribbled with the numbers "11-22" - but none seems to fit together to fully explain the murder ...more
Kristel
Literary detectives are different from you and me, those haughty geniuses with photographic memory who navigate a crime scene with laser-like precision. Because they are masters of detection, we the audience are often left scrambling in the dust, unable to make sense of the mystery until the genius detective deigns to explain everything to us. So it’s quite refreshing when I encounter a mystery where the problem-solver is as clueless as the average reader. In fact, Atty. Jack Knox in Mary Robert ...more
Pat Scott
They don't write like this anymore - unfortunately

today's authors think sex and and blood and convoluted plots make for fine writing. they're wrong. normal characters, believable dialogue, and interesting plots, along with solid writing skills make a book such as The WIndow at the White Cat a timeless classic. Modern readers might bemoan the lack of technology and the difference a cell phone would have made to the story, but this story was written in a different time, with different values. That
Susan
The Window at the White Cat is the fourth book that I have read by Rinehart, and I must say that I found it just as enjoyable as the others. Rinehart delivers a great story full of twists and turns as a lawyer finds himself employed to find a young woman's missing father only to find himself at the center of several confounding mysteries. The book is a quick, fun read as Rinehart gives the reader a number of suspects, a confusing murder, a mysterious robbery, and a missing woman. The many colorf ...more
Dave Law
I have to say I have become a major fan of Mary Roberts Rinehart books. Though she has been called the American Agatha Christie, I don't think this does her justice. With Agatha Christie, whom I have read and enjoyed, I find the mystery is the core of her stories, whereas with Mary Rinehart the people and psychological element are the core whether she is writing a mystery, romance or drama. In this case the story is a mystery told from the prospective of a lawyer that gets involved in it whom sh ...more
Richard Ward
Not sure why people call Mary Roberts Rinehart "The American Agatha Christie." Truth is, the two women are very different from each other. A matter of opinion which is better. I like Christie much better, but MRR is good, too.

A corrupt politician (are there other kinds‽) abruptly disappears. His daughter hires a lawyer, our hero, to find him. He only begins his search before the girl's elderly aunt also disappears without a trace, giving the lawyer two mysteries to solve .

The White Cat in the b

William
I actually owned this book when very young but never got around to reading it. I recently discovered it as a Kindle freebie and finally read it. Just as well I didn't read it then. It may have been beyond me then. Now, however, it is a very enjoyable, if dated, mystery. Rinehart is one of those classic mystery authors whom I never have read but have always been aware of. I will now find more of her books and read them.
Ruth
A nice, solid mystery full of twists and turns, but comfortable. Probably I should be less find of this than I am. After all, there is at its heart a dysfunctional family at the base of this story, but this is a piece if its period so the focus is on the story not the dysfunction.

I will say that I can't imagine a worse reading voice than the one that this publishing house (Tantor) uses. Sheesh it is awful.
Heidi
This is a classic early Rinehart mystery with a touch of romance. It does keep you guessing right until the end. It's fascinating to read something written over a hundred years ago just to see how people lived. There's also the inadvertent humour to a modern-day reader, for instance when the lawyer and cop eagerly jump in to a fresh crime scene and rearrange the body, and nobody bats an eyelash! Quite enjoyable.
Jacquey25 Hubler
Sep 18, 2008 Jacquey25 Hubler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good mystery
Shelves: classics
Great Mystery!!!! Just when you think you have it figured out, you don't. I was listening to this book in my car for several day. I would have a hard time trying to get out of my car I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I love how Mary Robert Rinehart potrayed the charcters and created suspense throught the book. Great ending to a great story.
Julie
Loved it. Well written with lots of twists and turns. Revenge, embezzlement, missing persons, thieves, murder, politics, secrets and romance. I couldn't put it down! I also loved some of the humorous things that happened with the main character. A lawyer, detective and newspaper reporter solved the mystery.
Vicki Seldon
Although I had to ignore the early- twentieth century notions of proper upper-middle class behavior and other stereotypical touches, I did enjoy this American drawing-room mystery with its endearing and somewhat bumbling lawyer turned detective and the backdrop of corruption in state politics.
Linda Jacobs
After skipping the totally racist parts, I found the story to be engrossing, with kidnappings, murders, suicides, love triangles, missing pearls and eccentric aunts. It was written in a different time and reflected the views of that era.
Kathy
One of Rinehart's good mysteries. Liked the characters. Enjoyed the mystery. I would have given it a different title, maybe "1122" or "The Missing Spinster" or ""How I Met Your Mother." (I guess that last one has been taken...)
Kim
Fun romantic suspense. And yes, it is old fashioned, but nevertheless, a really fun book by an excellent writer. Very much in the romantic suspense vein of things, with some blood-curdling mysteries thrown in.
Marts  (Thinker)
Marjory Fleming's father is found dead and Jack Knox is bent on solving this mystery...
Ryan G
So this will be my last Mary Roberts Rinehart review of the year, and I'm really not sure when I will have a chance to review another one. Not because I still don't love her books, but because I don't have anymore to read. What's worse, I think I've finally emptied the used bookstores in Wichita of their Rinehart books. I can still find the books I already own, but I'm afraid there are no "new" ones to find. If I have to end my Mary Roberts Rinehart love fest for a while, at least it was with a ...more
Michelle
The Window At The White Cat
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Mystery
244 pages

Mary Roberts Rinehart
Her name is synonymous with ingenious mystery. She is
the author of over sixty chilling masterworks, and her
millions of fans are a testament to her unequaled
skill at weaving intrigue adn villainy into
spine-tingling tales of suspence...

The Window At The White Cat
Attorney Jack Knox adored the beautiful Margery
Fleming, but unfortuntely she adored teh
less-than-reputable Harry Wardrop. If that wasn't
enough of a headac
Denise Kuntz
I have read or listened to other stories from Mary which are very good. This story is good so far, the best is the narrator, Robert Keiper is one of the best male readers that I have heard of these far! The different voices for the characters is amazing! I have found all of these great stories from ambling.com, this is a pay or free site, also we are able to just do a look up for your favorite narrators! I highly recommend the book and the site!
Sophie
Unfortunately, I couldn't get far enough in to this audio book to evaluate the actual mystery. The narrator, Rebecca Burns, was so monotonous, so much like a computer-generated voice that I had to give up after twenty minutes or so. (I kept expecting her to say, "I found five clues, two of them are fairly close to you...") With so many talented readers out there, I can't imagine why any company would waste money putting out such an inferior product.
Dain
Read this as book #1 for our Community Read's Library Centennial celebration. We are reading 3 books that were either written 100 yrs ago or about that time period. This one was actually written then. Although Rinehart is apparently famed for her mystery/detective stories and cited as the source of many "standard" and familiar colloquialisms ('the butler did it', etc), I just found the story too dated for my liking. It was convoluted, yet simplistic. I did love her turning of a phrase and the la ...more
Wanda
Inconsequential time-filler, but interesting for learning how life was in the past--taking trains and street cars, a 65-year-old woman able to walk three miles at 2am in perfect safety in an urban setting. No PC and no multi-culti. Such a relief!
Brenda Mengeling
I mildly enjoyed The Window at the White Cat while I was actively reading it, but there was nothing very memorable about it. I often had to review what I had read previously before continuing; the story just didn't stick. I also was able to figure out what was going to happen, so that didn't help matters. Also, the generic setting--the narrator tells the reader early on that the setting is essentially a typical city in a typical state--added to the vagueness of the piece. Since Ms. Rinehart's st ...more
Ange
It was pleasant enough. Had difficulty with the audio part. A woman read it. When the narrator and main character was speaking, it was difficult to remember the character was a man.
Becky Loader
I love reading old mysteries! Mary Roberts Rinehart is a classic.
Marci
I have liked Mary Roberts Rinehart for many years, having started with her Miss Pinkerton stories when I was a teenager. This mystery is of the "had I but known" type, with lots of clues presented in the form of foreshadowing, usually my least favorite style but not bad here.

The version I read was a Kindle public-domain transcript. Despite its stated publication date, it was first written and published in 1910, which, when I looked that up, made the story flow better for me.
Janet
I'd been wanting to read some books by early crime/mystery writers that I'd heard of but never read before. This particular book popped up as a free title for my Kindle so I gave it a try without knowing how representative it was of Rinehart's novels. I'm glad that I read it and I hope to research Rinehart's works to learn more about her style of crime writing.
Jenn Estepp
How much am I enjoying downloading little-remembered early twentieth century mysteries for free on my Kindle? Quite a lot. In this one, I found that the a lot of the supporting character blurred together a bit - was that square-jawed man a detective or a politician? - but it was a nice mix of murder and politics.
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Grey Woman
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • The Mystery of the Hidden Room
  • The celebrated jumping frog, and other stories (The World's best reading)
  • The Eye of Osiris
  • Lady Molly of Scotland Yard
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Might as Well Be Dead (Nero Wolfe, #27)
  • The House Of A Thousand Candles
  • The Great Impersonation
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Patricia Brent - spinster.
  • Flight of the Butterflies
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • The Secret of the Night
  • Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...
The Circular Staircase The Man in Lower Ten The Bat The Yellow Room The Case of Jennie Brice