Start by marking “The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)

The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy #2)

In this follow-up to The Compass Rose, Kallista's unique magic power no longer works as it should. Yet she continues her search for the other Godmarked--the only ones who can help her keep the demon invaders from shattering her world. Original.
Published February 21st 2006 by Luna

To ask other readers questions about The Barbed Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barbed Rose

Kerry
Jul 04, 2016 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, 7, reread, 10, 2010, 2006
ORIGINAL READ: 10/10 (17 July 2006 - 20 July 2006)

I really enjoyed this. I had throughly enjoyed the first book in the series, The Compass Rose and was looking forward to this one, atlhough I didn't have time to read it for a lot longer than I would have liked. This series uses the group marriage as the fundamental family basis of its society and Dayton does it beautifully, weavimg it into the story without using it as a shock tactic. Kallista and her ever-growing illian have problems, issues an
Abby
Jun 11, 2010 Abby rated it liked it
Brief Summary
Kallista and her ilian are separated when she, Tochay and Obed are called back to the capitol. Demons are once again threatening Adara and killing the magic-gifted naitani who protect the country. But with her ilian separated, Kallista's magic is weak and they are still lacking in the number of godmarked needed to truly defeat the demons.

Why I picked it up
I read the first in the series and was curious how Dayton would continue the saga. Unfortunately the cast of characters is now so
Nancy
Jun 21, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Magical mage and captain in the palace military, Kallista just wants to spend time with her family, but demons threaten the land and only her powers can save the queen and all her subjects. Split apart from several of her family members, Kallista must seek out the powerful demons and destroy them while gathering intelligence on rebel forces. Will she be strong enough to defeat the enemy? This second book in the author’s Rose trilogy (The Compass Rose is first) drew me in with its sympathetic ...more
E.
Jun 08, 2009 E. rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Kallista Varyl has been forced to break up her ilian (family unit) to respond to the Reinine's request for her presence. The fledgling family has been blessed with twins and is expecting another child to increase their number even though the entire land is unsettled and dealing with the rebellious factions that are working in concert with Demons and attempting to destroy the entire Adaran Society. Kallista's ilian is still in flux as they try to adapt to each other and the One does not seem to ...more
May B
Mar 08, 2011 May B rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
I read these out of order but this is still may fav of the series. Kalista torn by her duty but still accepting. Its truly a case of being careful what you wish for because when you get it you don't know what form it will come in.

Over all a good read and its stood up over the three different reads I've given it. The over all premise is good too, waring faction united by the gods for a common purpose. This of the series though really seems the strongest of the stories.
Julia
Jan 10, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it
Gail Dayton continues her story began in The Compass Rose, of Major Kallista Varyl, now a mother of twins and head of a large family or 'ilian.' She is also a 'naitan,' or wielder of magic, in a world where rebel forces assisted by demons are threatening world order. I was less intrigued by the major plot events involving this threat than I was by the unusual social organization and concept of family introduced by the author. Not as good as the first, but worth a read.
Heather Rohrer
Mar 28, 2016 Heather Rohrer rated it liked it
I was slightly disappointed with this book. I expected to be more engaged but the story seemed to drag on. I read this book because the compass rose was stellar. Sadly, this book is less than stellar because there is less of a plot and too many sex scenes.
Fanny
Jul 18, 2012 Fanny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Moins bien que le précédent. Kallista est plus énervante que dans le premier tome et les nouveaux Elus se pressent un peu trop au portillon... Le pire étant la fin qui donne horriblement envie de lire le 3e tome... qui n'est jamais sorti en France!
Kim
Dec 04, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who likes good action/adventure
Just as good as the first! Includes list of characters, pro-nunciation guide and glossary. Can't wait to finish the trilogy. This is up there with "The Bone Doll's Twin" for well written strong female characters.
Fanny
Jan 11, 2016 Fanny rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one but it was nice to see the characters evolve. Except for Obed, I don't like him... :(
Annie
Jun 21, 2007 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: meh
fantasy - 2nd in series. 3rd in series was supposed to be out a couple of months ago - no sign.
not a bad read. will update y'all later.
Update: meh
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
An enjoyable second book to the series with more great characters added to the iliasti. I'm excited to read the third book next!
El
I read this book because of the very interesting culture in which it is set. To be honest, the magic doesn't really impress me.
Annie
Jan 19, 2009 Annie rated it it was amazing
I really liked the whole idea of family in this story. I think everyone would benefit from love like that.
Erin
Feb 25, 2010 Erin marked it as to-read
The orgy sex magic is getting a little strange. Still like the book, it just happens that I got on a horror book kick and put this down for a while. I will come back.
Sherstin
Sherstin rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Supershineygirl
Supershineygirl rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Scole3407
Scole3407 rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Pele
Pele rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Jessica Pilon
Jessica Pilon rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Jelena
Jelena rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Ele
Ele rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Kristoffer
Kristoffer rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Shadows of Prophecy
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Guardian (The Guardian Interviews, #1)
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • Shield of the Sky (Stone God, #1)
  • Terra Stands Alone (The Theogony, #3)
I've been a fan of fantasy, science fiction, fairy tales and other "books of wonder" since I was young enough, I still thought kissing was icky. Then I grew up and decided I liked a strong dose of romance in the mix.

I live on the Texas coast with my fella of 30-plus years, our youngest son (who should be graduating college this semester) and the granddog Dolly, a princess wussy pitbull mix who le
More about Gail Dayton...

One Rose Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • The Eternal Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #3)