Start by marking “Objects of Desire: Design and Society Since 1750” as Want to Read:
Objects of Desire: Design and Society Since 1750

Objects of Desire: Design and Society Since 1750

Objects of Desire looks at the appearance of consumer goods in the 200 years since the introduction of mechanized production, whether in Josiah Wedgewood's use of neo-classicism for his industrially manufactured pottery or the development of appropriate forms for wirelesses. The argument is illustrated with examples ranging from penknives to computers and from sewing machi ...more
Published June 17th 1992 by Thames & Hudson (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Objects of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Objects of Desire

Korri
Oct 02, 2009 Korri rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, dissertation
This book is a staple in the canon of design history so I was glad to read it. Although the ideas may seem commonplace now, Forty challenged the way in which design history was written: there are no histories of individual 'genius' artists or designers here nor any notion of teleological progression. Refering to Barthes's Mythologies, Forty posited the notion that 'unlike the more of less ephemeral media, design has the capacity to cast myths into an enduring, solid and tangible form, so that th ...more
Pashmina
Apr 18, 2011 Pashmina rated it it was ok
What makes an object desirable? From this book I know now that it is not just great design but also the effort put into the production and the marketing of the object. The book isn’t a how-to, but I can relate to many of the examples. But the book wasn’t exactly a fun read, and I don’t think that the examples were much fun. Plus the illustrations weren’t that amazing or useful either.

Talking about design… this book wasn’t exactly well designed!
Brad Needham
Nov 08, 2016 Brad Needham rated it it was amazing
An excellent refute to the assertion that Form Follows Function., containing example after example of consumer objects that were designed to convey specific messages rather than blindly reflecting only the function of the object. One of my "must read" recommendations.
Azamat
Nov 06, 2012 Azamat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Достаточно интересная книга, которая исследует историю дизайна в основном интерьера на примере истории дизайна Великобритании. Есть интересные заметки и исследования. Обложка вводит в заблуждение, потому что это не буквально история промышленного дизайна в привычном понимании. Здесь не будет как в энциклопедиях историй в алфавитном порядке о том, кто изобрёл булавку или пылесос. Скорее общий взгляд на то, как дизайн влиял на общество в истории.

Этоне какая-то гениальная книга, обязательная к проч
Andrey
Jul 13, 2014 Andrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great book for someone willing to learn about the history of design. How the concept of design appeared in the first place and which changes it brought to the appearance of objects. I have nothing to do with the design in my work or studies but this book was extremely interesting for me, it gives quite an insight.
Yoonho Choi
Jul 18, 2009 Yoonho Choi rated it it was amazing
The best book I've read since I began to look at design history. His socio-economic approach to design has influenced so much on design history and material culture studies.
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I'm hoping to gain some inspiration for a lecture I have to give from this book that I read years ago...and recently purchased from Broadway Market.
Snoozie Suzie
Aug 13, 2011 Snoozie Suzie rated it really liked it
The only text book from my degree course I actually read from cover to cover. And kept. Very interesting book and how design works.
Angela
Feb 08, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
About the relationship between social and cultural trends and the design of material objects. Written by a British author, and uses primarily examples from Britain.
Vanya
Vanya rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Courtney Walls
Courtney Walls rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Tanya Behagen
Tanya Behagen rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Anton Sotkov
Anton Sotkov rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Helena Gordyniec
Sep 25, 2013 Helena Gordyniec rated it it was amazing
strong 4+
Alejandra Celedon
Alejandra Celedon rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2010
Diego Boccia
Diego Boccia rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dmitry Kuriakov rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Pavel Moiseenko
Pavel Moiseenko rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Qaaim Goodwin
Qaaim Goodwin rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Augusto Ruckert
Augusto Ruckert rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Michael A.
Michael A. rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Nurg
Nurg rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2009
Susannah
Susannah rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Chris Tweed
Chris Tweed rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Christine Neo
Christine Neo rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Janice Wong
Janice Wong rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2009
Nadezhda
Nadezhda rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Annisa Dienfitriah
Annisa Dienfitriah rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Renato Russo
Renato Russo rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Language of Things: Understanding the World of Desirable Objects
  • Designing for People
  • The House Plant Expert (The Expert Series)
  • Making It: Manufacturing Techniques for Product Design
  • Selfish Pigs
  • Pioneers of Modern Design: From William Morris to Walter Gropius
  • The Little Black Hen
  • The Individualized Society
  • A Dreambook for Our Time (Writers from the Other Europe)
  • Beyond the Brain: Birth, Death, and Transcendence in Psychotherapy
Adrian Forty is Professor of Architectural History at The Bartlett, the Faculty of the Built Environment at University College London. He is the Programme Director of the MSc programme in Architectural History.

In 2003, he was awarded the Sir Misha Black Award for Innovation in Design Education.

Forty's main interest is in architecture's role in societies and cultural contexts. His research includes
More about Adrian Forty...

“In the way it transforms ideas and beliefs, successful design is like alchemy: it fuses together disparate ideas from different origins, so that the form of the completed product seems to embody only a single idea, which comes across as so familiar that we find ourselves supposing it to be exactly what we ourselves had always thought.” 0 likes