Start by marking “My Billion Year Contract: Memoir of a Former Scientologist” as Want to Read:
My Billion Year Contract: Memoir of a Former Scientologist

My Billion Year Contract: Memoir of a Former Scientologist

To a young, teenage girl, Scientology seemed to be just what the author was looking for; a way to improve herself and attain spiritual enlightenment. But it was only after she joined Scientology’s elite inner circle, the Sea Organization, and signed a Billion Year contract that she discovered the dark world of fanaticism and abuse at the center of Scientology’s vast empire ...more
Published October 26th 2009 by CNM Publishing (first published September 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Billion Year Contract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Billion Year Contract

Jacquelyn
Jul 30, 2010 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a technical standpoint, this book isn't well written. Grammatical errors, technical mistakes, and redundancies abound. There are periods in the middle of sentences, tense fluctuations, abbreviations and acronyms used before the full phrase (sometimes chapters before), and some Scientology terminology is never defined. If the author or an editor had gone through the manuscript a few more times before publication, the errors may have been ironed out.

So, why five stars?

Pure subject matter.

E
Chris Faraone
Jan 26, 2013 Chris Faraone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If every last allegation that Church of Scientology (CoS) defector Nancy Many charges in My Billion Year Contract is true, then her book should inspire several FBI raids and a Lifetime mini-series to rival any Charles Manson documentary. But even if just some of her trials really happened — we'll leave that debate to Many and her ex-cronies — her new memoir might still be the most shocking nonfiction work featured at this week's American Library Association (ALA) Midwinter Meeting in Boston.
The
Sue
Sep 23, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had an interst in learning about Scientology. This book was written by a former member and was very "scary" to say the least.
Lawrence Sypowicz
Excellent expose of a fraudulent business calling itself a religion

Another very necessary expose of the evil spirited business masquerading as a religion. The fact that they have tax exempt status is a disgrace to every tax paying business in the helping field and that the so called church practices medicine without any recognized training or license. Long story but worth the time and effort.
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Many's story is not dissimilar to may Scientology survivors: As a curious young college student she was sucked in with the organization's sales pitch, not realizing what was happening as she was fleeced of her money and freedom until she found herself working feverishly for pennies hard-selling the organization's products. One of the lowest points actually comes very early on in the book as she is assigned the dreaded RPF, or Rehabilitation Task Force, a kind of hard-labor prison program w ...more
Huma Rashid
This book was a pretty wild, scary look at the mind of a Scientologist, and I'm glad I plodded on through until the end. The descriptions and explanations of how underhanded and evil and well connected the CoS is... is just staggering.

On a technical note, this book is not particularly well written. There are TONS of punctuation errors (equally the fault of the 'editor,' if there even was one) and both run-on and fragmented sentences. It gets distracting, given all the mechanical errors. There's
Shea Mastison
After reading this for a second time, I began to notice some inconsistencies in Nancy Many's narrative. It could be nothing more but the standard exaggerations many of us will make when describing an experience to make a more specific point about its effects on our emotional state of being; but, it did make me a little more skeptical about some of the more outrageous behavior she claimed she saw at the top of Scientology's ecclesiastic heights.

There's an interesting contradiction between Nancy's
Ann Carol Lamb Girotto
Lots of interesting insight into Scientology and their cult, but I had a hard time following some of it. There was a little too much about her mental ups and downs that appeared to come from her personal journal. I got it...and didn't really need a play by play of how she was feeling.

Yay for her for recognizing and acknowledging what they were doing to her and getting out.
Sharon Shelley
I did not care for the book. Needed to educate myself on the subject of Scientology. I felt I did accomplish that. How people let themselves fall under that kind of mind control is amazing to me. Cults that hide behind political and and religious ideology will always be around, unfortunately, continuing to brainwash and control anyone that Is open to it.
Harold Shuckhart
Nancy Many writes about her personal experiences as a ranking member of Scientology's "Sea Org" and how she came to leave Scientology. A moving story detailing some of the horrible practices used by Scientology's leadership to keep the membership in line and to milk money from those 'believers' and followers of L. Ron Hubbard.
Erica
Jul 24, 2012 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking look behind the facade of Scientology. I read this book out of pure curiosity. It was honestly one of the craziest things I have ever read. You wouldn't believe what is hidden beneath the guise of "becoming a better person."
Daniela Murphy
Jan 08, 2016 Daniela Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching and fascinating, the €hurch of $cientology has in the last few years begun to lose many of its historic - sea org - administrative staff members, Nancy Many is one of them. Her story is mind blowing. A must for those of you who really want to understand the truth.
Betsy Willing
Jul 21, 2012 Betsy Willing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the end gets a a bit repetitive when she starts to post her journal entries, the first three fourths of the book are incredibly captivating and will give you the inside look at Scientology that you are craving!
Fay
Jul 14, 2012 Fay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good autobiography of woman's life with Scientology, starting from when joined the Sea Org until she had a psycotic breakdown because of the auditing procedure. I recommend the book to anyone who wants to know how this cult operates.
Lisa-Jaine
Jan 27, 2016 Lisa-Jaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really interesting as this was written by someone who saw both the good and bad in her choice to follow Scientology and it was a well written and balanced account of her journey.
Rob Cartwright
Rob Cartwright rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
kaitlin
kaitlin rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Jennifer Stidham
Jennifer Stidham rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Beth Goza
Beth Goza rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
James H
James H rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Frances McCormack
Frances McCormack rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2017
Simon Götestrand
Simon Götestrand rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Steve Moore
Steve Moore rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2014
Josh Pepper
Josh Pepper rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Gayle Roy
Gayle Roy rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Marilize
Marilize rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Jeff Wasel
Jeff Wasel rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology
  • A Place Called Waco
  • The Ashes of Waco: An Investigation
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • Beauty, Disrupted: A Memoir
  • Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of L. Ron Hubbard
  • Ivy League Stripper
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • Scientology - Abuse At the Top
  • Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror
  • Greed and Glory on Wall Street: The Fall of the House of Lehman
  • Vice: One Cop's Story of Patrolling America's Most Dangerous City
  • What Paul Really Said About Women: The Apostle's Liberating Views on Equality in Marriage, Leadership, and Love
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews