Start by marking “The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End

The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End (Enderby #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Le caractère choquant et provocateur du film Orange mécanique de Stanley Kubrick ne manqua pas de susciter des réactions hostiles lors de sa sortie, même si par ailleurs beaucoup de critiques en saluaient la richesse visuelle et musicale. Anthony Burgess, qui avait participé à la campagne de promotion du film dans les médias, fut lui aussi mis en accusation en tant qu'aute ...more
Published May 1st 1984 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End

Alex Sarll
Through the first two Enderby books, one wonders how autobiographical the shambolic poet protagonist might be. Once philistines start traducing him for youth violence which bears some similarities to a film loosely based on his work...well, that rather clarifies the matter. Barely a novel, but interesting nonetheless.
Mark
Fred R
Enderby touches down on Mr. Sammler's planet to pay for Kubrick's blood orange and ponder Burgess's clockwork conundrum.
David Guy
I decided to reread the Enderby novels when I recently read a biography of Burgess and the author referred to them as veiled, wildly exaggerated autobiography. I'd never thought of the books that way, since Enderby is such a klutz. But I thought I'd go back and have a look.

In this third Enderby novel, Burgess seems to have relaxed with the verbal excesses, and is making allusion to his own troubles with the film of A Clockwork Orange. This is more accessable and likable than the two previous boo
John Vogel
Jul 10, 2007 John Vogel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of A Clockwork Orange (the book, mostly)
A thinly veiled reaction to the popularity of the movie A Clockwork Orange. Burgess states his own thoughts on the backlash from the movie through Professor Enderby, a British poet living and teaching in Manhattan during the 70's. The character is likable but gets himself into situations where he blurts out offensive phrases without thinking, soliciting harsh reactions from students and studio audiences. This is the final book of the Enderby Trilogy.
Kristin
Oct 14, 2008 Kristin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Burgess fans, ethic/ moral, lit
I did enjoy the book. I read this years ago, and decided to give it another look. Love the story line!!! Most plots dealing with any ethical standpoint I enjoy. I always wonder how far are we from this. I found this to be a quick read. with our present technology, it is easy to over look the language Burgess applied.
I know most people read this in high school. Take another look at it.
Paul
There is very little in terms of plot in this short novel, which serves more as a vehicle for Burgess to reflect on a number of issues. The character of Enderby is much more to the fore, serving perhaps as a mouthpiece for Burgess' views. Although it sounds dated at times, the humour is always good, with lots of interesting stylistic passages a bonus, too.
Angela Mcentee
Anthony Burgess is a fascinating writer and person. He uses words I have to look up, yet I don't resent him for it. He loves words. I loved clockwork orange but this May be my favorite book by him. Love the scenes where Enderby is teaching the American college students... ..
Will
Jun 20, 2008 Will marked it as to-read
Heard this was good. I tried a Burgess novel a few years ago and didn't like it--I think it was over my head--but I'm willing to give him another shot.
Aaron
Good. Funny. Sure. Very incisive satire on American hyper-popular and -defensive culture.
Leif Erik
Part of my Burgess obsession when I was in high school.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kaitlyn Utkewicz
Kaitlyn Utkewicz marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mireille
Mireille marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Rodolfo Torre
Rodolfo Torre marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Riaz Humayun
Riaz Humayun marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald Mystery #3)
  • Trust Fund
  • Bigfoot Dreams
  • The Two Destinies (Pocket Classics)
  • The Barrack-Room Ballads and Other Verses
  • Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure Magic and Romance
  • The Secret of Skull Mountain (Hardy Boys, #27)
  • Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue
  • Horse's Neck
  • Old Mortality
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • Daredevil, Vol. 8: Echo
  • The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven: A Novella and Stories
Anthony Burgess was a British novelist, critic and composer. He was also a librettist, poet, playwright, screenwriter, essayist, travel writer, broadcaster, translator, linguist and educationalist. Born in Manchester, he lived for long periods in Southeast Asia, the USA and Mediterranean Europe as well as in England. His fiction includes the Malayan trilogy (The Long Day Wanes) on the dying days o ...more
More about Anthony Burgess...
A Clockwork Orange The Wanting Seed Earthly Powers The Doctor is Sick One Hand Clapping