Start by marking “Steampunk-Style Jewelry: A Maker's Collection of Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Designs” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This how-to jewelry-making book features the work of an array of invited jewelry designers influenced by the growing Steampunk trend. In Steampunk circles, jewelry-makers are often master metalsmiths who combine found objects with fine metals to create elaborate pieces. In Steampunk-Style Jewelry, the projects focus on "no fire" techniques—like simple stringing, wirework, ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk-Style Jewelry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk-Style Jewelry

Kate
I got this at the library after my boss showed me a bracelet she'd ordered from Etsy that was made out of coiled wire and watch parts. I haven't read a lot of steampunk but I definitely love the steampunk-style jewelry.

This has a lot of ideas and specific projects. The problem with making a book on creating steampunk jewelry is that a lot of the "beads" are actually "findings" - or very unique pieces that one cannot necessarily find at a store. This is the beauty of steampunk jewelry, that every
Paul
For someone who knew of the 'Steampunk' culture and artistic movement but never really immersed themselves into it, this is a rather intriguing craft book for those with a bent for sci-fi, recycling, skip surfing or other such salvaging subversion.

Not only is there plenty of relatively understandable to follow instructions for various projects but lots of background information on the aesthetic and inspiration behind the movement.

I haven't been able to gather together all the equipment I need to
Emily
Streampunk is new to me. I learned the word during an online book discussion last August, and have heard it many, many times since then. Now, jewelry making is not my thing, and the only reason I put a hold on this book is that I keep hearing about Steampunk, and I know it’s gaining popularity in the cos-play and convention world. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I found this was basically two books. In between each jewelry project is a one or two page spread highlighting different aspects o ...more
Davonna Juroe
This book is a fantastic resource for Steampunkers! I love all the designs. And there's a great little intro that describes what Steampunk is. I gave it to my mother to read, and now she is officially on-board with Steampunk. :)
Ellen
What I really like about this book is not just the clear instruction as to how to make certain pieces of jewellery, but also I appreciate it for the ideas and inspiration it generates.
Kai
*sigh*
This book was not what I expected.

The bits in between the jewelry were interesting, with lovely pictures and some quick beginner slices of steampunk culture such as a history, books, clothing, etc. They weren't polished essays or in-depth enough to frighten anyone off. It was a taste of things; a large taste more than is usually expected in a jewelry making book, and I enjoyed reading them. I'm not naive to steampunk, but I'd never seen some of the pictures before and enjoyed learning ab
Sara
Steampunk Style Jewelry by Jean Campbell is a treat. She is a lovely and talented author, who seems to put a great deal of time and thought into every book that she writes. Steampunk is hot these days, but this style has been around for more than twenty years. According to this book, the term was coined in 1987. So, what is steampunk?"Generally, Steampunk is a fashion, design, and popular-culture phenomenon that combines romance and technology." Jean was kind enough to show our Metallics beading ...more
Rachel
There are three main aspects to this book - the projects, technical advice, and vignettes giving the reader a view into the world of steampunk culture. The vignettes are nice enough, but anyone with any familiarity with steampunk will find them fairly basic. The projects - in terms of the objects, that's a matter of taste. I have to admit that I'm not that fond of the filigree and charms variety of steampunk jewelry, and there's more of that in here than I'd like.

But the technical advice is exc
Sarah Bringhurst
This was another one of those esoteric books I picked up on a whim from the "new books" shelf at the library. Really, I was just curious to finally find out exactly what that cryptic term "Steampunk" means. To my delight, as well as being an artsy how-to book, this actually is a sort of primer to Steampunk. There's an introduction explaining the term at the beginning, and short chapters interspersed between the jewelry projects explore different aspects of Steampunk style and history.

The jewelry
Patrick
Blends DIY steampunk jewelry with commentary and descriptions of current steampunk trends. Jean Campbell has created some fantastic, inspired pieces of art that only LOOK like jewelry! Judging by her other book titles, fantasy and sci-fi might not be her forte. But she knows how to design jewelry. Her aesthetic is very tasteful and creative and her instructions are very easy to follow. The book is very well put together too: full color on every page, sturdy stock, wide pages. As if it were meant ...more
Lady Knight
Totally loved the projects outlined in this one! The drawbacks?

(1) I simply don't have the crafting skill level to do these projects. These are for your enthusist jewelry makers, not beginners.

And,

(2)These projects all call for one-of-a-kind pieces. While definitely cool, one could never make a piece look exactly like what's portrayed in the book.

Overall, an awesome book and if my jewelry making skill level every increases I will absolutely be checking this book back out and making a few piece
Edward
As a Young Adult Librarian this was one of my staple sources for many of my Teen Craft Nights. Some of the other reviewers are correct in noting that many of the designs here have components that are not going to be found at your local craft store. Indeed, most of the crafts are not geared towards group activities. Nevertheless, I found that I could use the designs here as a basis for projects, and with a bit of substitution and simplification they provided very enjoyable crafts for my teens.
Dee Vasquez
I should have read reviews before spending 20.99 on this book. I wasn't looking for a history lesson. There's two designs that I might use at least I did get a little inspiration from it. I could get the same thing from looking on Etsy at other artists work for Free!
Nicole Bunge
Interesting jewelry making guide. Most of the projects require jeweler's tools, sauntering, and advanced stuff I can't do. But it gives good ideas, has some interesting 'culture' pages, and a bunch of websites where they got stuff on the very last page.
Cara
So far, this book has made me smile every minute I've read it. <3 <3 <3
Good book with jewellery instructions, ideas & gallery pages for inspiration of steampunk jewellery designs, also has info on steampunk clothes, films & history, but not in much detail, would have liked a lot more pages !
Overall pretty good :)
Poppy Fields
Great book for an intro to jewelry making. I laughed when I went on etsy.com and saw exact replicas of the jewelry from the book. It is also a great introduction to Steampunk. The author included very current information and links.
Lee Koopman
For someone who doesn't know much about steampun, this book is a MUST! It's not just about jewelry but about the whole lifestyle. It has sections on clothes, on music, on "modding" and the jewelry designs are cool too.
Charles
The instructional sections seem very easy to follow. Also, I particularly liked the sections in-between the jewelry that gave a brief over view of the history of steampunk style, as well as some pop-culture examples.
Unit of Raine
Granted, I haven't attempted any of the projects in the book. But I'd love an aviation ring...

Many of the necklaces aren't my style, but I enjoyed the references to steampunk culture and the ideas.
Mickey
this was a neat little book, but most of the projects require more patience and creativity than I possess. I may have to try a few ideas it inspired though! Craft store, here I come....
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
This beautifully designed work not only shows you how to make steampunk jewelry but also offers a primer for steampunk sensibilities, literature, music, art, and more.
Stephanie
I would love to have a few pieces found in this book. But I know I'll never get around to actually making any. Still a fun read!
Josh
This book displays more creativity and most; it even has an intro written by Paul Di Filippo - a well-known steampunk author.
Patrice
I'm leading a steam punk jewelry program at my library in April, so I have been using these steam punk book for some great ideas.
Jenne
This has some really cool, if expensive, pieces to make. Still, I definitely want to try a couple.
Kerry
I have stumbled over the awesomeness that is Steampunk! This books is fantastic.
Chris M.
Great book for inspiration or for some great step by step to make steampunk jewelry.
Teresa Raines
Some interesting pieces of jewelry and art in the one. Worth looking at.
Michael
I cannot wait to use this to make my own jewelry.
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • Steampunkery: Polymer Clay and Mixed Media Projects
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • Steampunk: The Art of Victorian Futurism
  • Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects
  • Creepy Cute Crochet
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Teach Yourself Visually Jewelry Making & Beading
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
Getting Started Stringing Beads The Art of Beaded Beads: Exploring Design, Color & Technique Creating Glamorous Jewelry with Swarovski Elements: Classic Hollywood Designs with Crystal Beads and Stones Stringing Style 2 Beadwork Creates Beaded Rings