Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 1 (Season 9, #1)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 1 (Season 9, #1)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 1 (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9 (issues) #1)

Season 8 ended with a bang when Buffy cut the world off from the hell dimensions and all supernatural influence. Great, right? Except Buffy has left her best friend, Willow, powerless, and ended the long line of vampire slayers, leaving her hated by the hundreds of girls who recently stood behind her. Newly relocated to San Francisco, Buffy can count on a fresh start, and ...more
Jo Chen variant cover, 40 pages
Published September 14th 2011 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

HelenaBasket
Interesting to see what's in store for the old Buffster after 8. Buffy with roommates that aren't sucking her soul. Though it seems like instead of maturing she's backpedaling a little.

Story is interesting, the art is not. Wish I could give it 3.5 stars but because Spike made an appearance I'll give it the benefit of the extra half star.
Angela
Feb 01, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
After the outright chaos of season eight, I must admit I am giddy over the return of everyday Buffy in this newest season. She's not in charge of an army of slayers nor chasing down the elusive Twilight in this the ninth series, but me likey. The witty banter, the character driven scenes, and the return to the basics made my heart happy. I am all in!
Jun 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle
This is the first collected volume of comics in the continuation of the Buffy series. I'm still really enjoying following the characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in graphic novel form. I did have a hard time following the beginning of this story though. After rereading it twice and then once again after I finished the whole volume I think I finally figured out what was going on, but I definitely think it was needlessly confusing. Either that or I'm really slow on the uptake. Though more of ...more
Fran
I really needed to read S8 before I got started on this. I got a bit fuzzy towards the end of my S8 reading and am still really a bit confused by the whole Twilight/Seed payoff.

Still, an interesting start. Writing was tight. Art, however, was a bit of a mess. That was Dawn? Willow has changed hair colour (and style, but that's intentional). Riley looked nothing like Riley. Let's not even talk about Andrew. I've got used to the comic likeness of the characters that Georges shaped in S9, so I'm no
Whitney
Jul 19, 2012 Whitney rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
A good opener! I am definitely excited for this season! Of course the first issues seem to always pose more questions than answer them, but I am still intrigued and ready for more. The art is great as always and the dialogue feels true to the characters. Buffy does seem a bit lost, which is understandable, but as I am sure many have said, and even Buffy herself sort of acknowledges, this issue sometimes feels like a repeat of Beer Bad. But Buffy is just like any other young 20 something trying t ...more
motherofboys247
This rating is for the entire series, really-- seasons 8 and 9. I wasn't a comic book fan before they started making Buffy season 8, but if I've learned one thing, it's that if Joss is involved, I'll be a fan of whatever it is fairly soon. I still don't really like vampires, but I do love Buffy. It's about the writing folks, and the writing is alive and well in seasons 8 and 9, even if I didn't love a couple of the arcs.
Margareth
Sep 29, 2011 Margareth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-2011, comics
The art was atrocious, the whole "storyline" was one big mess, and it completely failed to make me the least bit interested in what's coming. Naw. Think I'll stick to Angel & Faith: Live Through This Pt. 1.
Amanda McDonald
May 03, 2012 Amanda McDonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the craziness of Season 8, I was happy to come into Season 9. It was an interesting twist to see Buffy living with Dawn and Spike. And I feel bad for Willow now that there is no magic. I feel like she resents Buffy in some ways. All-in-all a good read for a Buffy fan.
Alan
Feb 03, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much better than season eight which was too unrealistic (in Buffy standards). It seems like it becoming less convoluted than S8. It got to a point where you hadn't a clue what was going on. The whole twilight thing flew right over my head.
Ryan Mishap
A return to the human-interest angles that make fantasy stories more interesting than video games. The storytelling method produced a choppy narrative, but points for trying something new (multiple flashbacks are easier to do on television).
Flossie
Jan 08, 2012 Flossie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!!!

I enjoyed this season a whole lot more than 8.

also- set if sf!
Paula Nikolina
I have to say I'm wholly satisfied with this issue
Nov 04, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-and-gns
A good start to the new "season," with a good amount of goofiness paired with some more serious stuff going on under the surface. Beautifully done, as usual.
Scott
May 22, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to go wrong here.
Adam
Oct 14, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
A really good to start to the new series. Buffy is back to basics, no magic left in the world but the same cast of great characters, humour and action as ever.
Marcus
Aug 26, 2012 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A decent enough start to season nine. Nothing particularly bad about it, but nothing particularly thrilling either.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This was amazing. Reminded me so much of what I loved about the t.V. Show

Awesome start to a new season.
David Monroe
Jun 23, 2012 David Monroe rated it really liked it
3.5 but I'll bump it up to 4. Great story by Joss.
Gianna Nagatani
Gianna Nagatani rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2012
Will
Will rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Greg Shelander
Greg Shelander rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Saba Mahmood
Saba Mahmood rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 2 (Season 9, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This, Part 1 (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles (Season 9, #0)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Death of Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #29 Buffy Season 5)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9 (issues) (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 2 (Season 9, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 3 (Season 9, #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 4 (Season 9, #4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Slayer, Interrupted (Season 9, #5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Space No One Can Hear You Slay (Season 9, #5.5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own, Part 1 (Season 9, #6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own, Part 2 (Season 9, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Apart (of me), Part 1 (Season 9, #8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Apart (of me), Part 2 (Season 9, #9)