Start by marking “Utterly Lovely One” as Want to Read:
Utterly Lovely One

Utterly Lovely One

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  81 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Tender, playful, and full of joy, this ode from mother to child makes an utterly lovely baby gift and will resonate with readers big and small.

Oh, my Yummy One, my Utterly Lovely One!
Look at you, so gorgeous!

So opens a glorious praise song from a parent crane to her little cranelet — drawing many other species into the circle of love as she sings. Warm, funny, and full of
Published February 14th 2012 by Candlewick (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Utterly Lovely One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utterly Lovely One

Danielle Mootz
Cute simple story perfect for an English accent.
Cat
Mar 24, 2012 Cat rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebooks
I loved the illustrations but I couldn't get over the mother calling her baby "yummy one". It was a little too flowers and sunshine for me.
Erica
Jun 13, 2017 Erica rated it it was amazing
I liked this just for the fact that it expresses appreciation for all that is around you. specifically animals and their unique traits. since I am tracking books I read this summer for the library reading program I might as well review here as well.
Peg
A fluffy blue crane introduces her “utterly lovely one” to the other utterly lovely creatures in their habitat. Among them are fancy, fabulous frilled lizard, baby elephant with kind, gentle eyes, careful snail and flashy dragonfly—quiet, loud laughing jungle bird, playful monkeys, and handsome crocodile. Each is special, in its own way. Murphy occasionally drifts from physical characteristics to anthropomorphism with words such as nice or shy. The repetitive text is a bit sweet as it lyrically ...more
Karen
Dec 29, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. He liked the silly blue bird on the cover. It turned out that the cover was the best thing about this book.

I was fine reading the phrase "utterly lovely one" over and over again, but "yummy one" made me want to gag a little. My son, admittedly, was probably a bit old for the target audience, but I can think of no time in his life when I called him anything close to "yummy one" even once, much less repeatedly. Also, I know tha
Heidi-Marie
This wasn't quite my kind of book. A little too sacchrine for me. Maybe that will change when I have my own children. I know what it is to feel so special to have my little brother, and each niece and nephew. I know how it is to love them so much and feel so blessed they are in my life. But I don't think I would continuously call them "Yummy One" even if there are some times they are so cute you could eat them! :-) The pictures are cute and will catch attention of the young child. You could even ...more
Morgan Ellsworth
Oct 26, 2016 Morgan Ellsworth rated it it was amazing
The beautiful elaborate pictures and the message this book sends is a must read. This book is about a mother bird who is informing her baby bird about different animals and how amazing they are in their own special way. "Here comes dragonfly, darting on his flashing wings, and snail, slow and careful. Both little. Both quiet. Both utterly lovely". This book sends a message to children that looks are not important it is whats on the inside that counts. The book demonstrates how everyone has speci ...more
Britta
Jan 24, 2014 Britta rated it really liked it
I love the balance this book's illustrations strike between naturalism and cartoon quality. It captivates my 3 year old daughter. She reaches out to touch each of the creatures. They're fairly realistic, yet seem interactive and cuddly. And we both love the idea that each of them are utterly lovely in their own way. Not quite sure why it strikes such a chord!
Kayla
Jan 04, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok
Mary Murphy's illustrations are always cute, but this story is sort of lackluster. I love that the parent bird dotes on the child and also describes the beauty in the other animals, but the whole "my yummy one" bit gets weird after the first time. My son actually said, "That was a long book" when we finished it, which is preschool speak for "boring."
Janet
Feb 23, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like that the protagonist tells her child what positive features she appreciates about other animals they know.

It could lead to a discussion of what is special about the child, what the child and parent appreciate about people they know, or that everyone is special in their own way.

Or it could be a nice book to read without any thought of extending activities!

Stephanie Martin
Sep 10, 2012 Stephanie Martin rated it it was ok
Picture Book 37: This was an okay book but didn't really grab my attention. The colors were dull and baby like and nothing popped out to me. All in all the book wasn't that good because I didn't really understand why she kept saying utterly lovely one. I didn't really understand the book at all. I wouldn't recommend it.
Mary
This story is very encouraging and accepting of differences. All of the animals in the book have special personalities, and they are each beautiful in their own way. It is repetitious, but doesn't rhyme very much. The letters are fun, but I felt that there wasn't a good flow to the book. The pictures are large and colorful, but I could only imagine reading this book in a one-on-one setting.
Julie
Jan 18, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
This ode to the bond between mother and child was too sweet for me - think Stepford Wives sweet. The animal illustrations may well appeal to the very young, but I suspect adult readers may be left feeling a little underwhelmed by this book (unless they are still in the throes of newborn baby bliss).
Shelli
Mar 14, 2012 Shelli rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This was one of those picture books that made me curious where the direction was going and why anyone would want to take the time money and expense to publish it. With so many amazing books to choose from this one would not be a book anyone would select to bring home.
Rachel
Feb 21, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Loved the sentiment here that everyone is lovely and there are some interesting animals, the illustrations are fun and interesting, the text is very lackluster though.
Marcie
Mar 24, 2012 Marcie rated it really liked it
I'm sure the language is what it is because the author is Irish. Might be an Utterly Lovely bed time story. The positive upbeat nature of this made me want to visit the zoo.
Jocelin
Apr 16, 2012 Jocelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this was a sweet book. The illustrations were really colorful & vibrant. I enjoyed the sweet sentiment of the mother crane to her baby. Cute read, good bedtime story.
May 13, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it
This is way too touchy feely for me. I just can't do it. Also, who the hell calls their kid "yummy one?" That's weird.
Molly
Jun 10, 2014 Molly rated it liked it
This is not my usual type of picture book I like, but it would be good for toddler storytimes with all the animals and big pictures.
Matthew
Apr 08, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
This book was sweet and simple. Not my favorite book but not totally awful either. A nice book worth the read.
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Steph
Steph rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Elizabeth Peterson
Elizabeth Peterson rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Zac
Zac rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Children's author and illustrator Mary Murphy enchants even the youngest of readers with her bold style, combining eye-catching graphics and a bouncy text that seemingly jump off the pages.

Mary Murphy has an advanced diploma in Visual Communications and has written and illustrated a number of children's books, including her lift-the-flap, pull-the-tab book about friendship, ROXIE AND BO TOGETHER.
More about Mary Murphy...