Start by marking “Crandalls' Castle” as Want to Read:
Crandalls' Castle

Crandalls' Castle

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When her uncle decides to buy the Crandalls' old mansion and make it a bed-and-breakfast, twelve-year-old Charli is all for it, at first. She even volunteers to help clean out the dilapidated building. Then strange things begin to happen. Charli hears someone singing--but no one is there. She sees the shadow of a rocking cradle--but there is no cradle. And then she hears a ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Crandalls' Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crandalls' Castle

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie AlenderThe Ghost Files by Apryl BakerAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeThe Ghost Files 2 by Apryl BakerKings & Queens by Courtney Vail
Best Teen Horror/Suspense/Thriller
110th out of 218 books — 638 voters
Supernatural Hero by Eran GadotThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Children of Green Knowe by L.M. BostonThe Shadow Guests by Joan Aiken
Middle Grade Ghost Stories
21st out of 101 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa the Shelf Stalker
Confession time. I am an adult who enjoys reading teen fiction. I don't mean Vampire Academy style, though some of that is okay. I mean Goosebumps and Betty Ren Wright.

My best friend recently suggested we read The Dollhouse Murders together and so I picked up Crandalls' Castle at the same time.

This isn't one of my favorites but it is an entertaining read nonetheless. The passages were descriptive and painted a vivid mental images.

The ghost and mystery aspect of the story are downright eerie. My
Carol
It is an interesting format. For a writer, it probably was hard to keep the points of view straight. We read a third person point of view from the main character Charli, a single teen with a new step-father. Then we have a first person point of view from Sophia, an orphan who comes to live with Charli's aunt and uncle who live across the street from her. The aunt is a distant relative of Sophia's.

I would say the third main character is the old Victorian house that they call a castle. We learn ab
Anita Truong
Intending to pick up The Dollhouse Murders for a reread with my BFF as part of our Mini Book Club selections, I came across this book at the library and decided to give it a go since the cover looks so creepy cool (from a child's perspective as well as my own). Unfortunately, this book didn't come off as well as I expected and I was thoroughly disappointed.

For a full ranting review see my post at Review: Crandall's Castle on my BookLike's blog: Ani's Book Abyss.
Carmen
Feb 28, 2013 Carmen marked it as to-read
This is a very suspenseful story, I love it so much!
Eve
Apr 03, 2012 Eve added it
Crandall’s Castle, by Betty Ren Wright, is about a girl named Charli. Her uncle decides to buy an old mansion to turn into a bed and breakfast. Charli is excited about it, until she goes into the mansion. She begins to have strange encounters, including doors closing by themselves, cradles rocking by themselves, and faint voices of singing when no one is there. Then, she hears a baby crying. Charli knows that something bad happened in the house, and she’s scared that it’s going to happen again. ...more
Dayna Smith
Sophia has no family, her grandmother is dying and she is about to be sent to live with a distant relative, after stays in numerous foster homes. Sophia sees things before they happen and this has caused her nothing but trouble - so she's keeping quiet. Charli's mom has just remarried and while Charli likes Ray he doesn't seem to like her mother's family. Uncle Will and Aunt Lilly are quite a pair! Uncle Will has always got some get-rich-quick scheme going and this drives the very sensible Ray n ...more
Morgan Duplechin
I love ghost stories! I saw the cover of this book and fell in love with it instantly. I liked this book. It's a good book for if you want a quick read that will send shivers down your spine. At times one of the main characters, Charli, would get on my nerves but other than that I liked this book.
Payton Nielsen
It was okay, the characters were different and cool and the ghost mystery was interesting.
Alexis
I read it two years ago and still recommend it to people!
James R.
Another kid book I read with grand kids.
Carrie Dalby
Another great read about family with a sprinkling of haunts.
Amanda
I didnt like this book at all. I thought it was very boring, not worth the read.

I read this book in 6th grade and it was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so boring. (It probably needs more so's but...) I really thought this book was going to be awesome but it was not, it was so boring. I mean I don't now any other words to describe it besides that it is really boring!
Michaela
If you want something flat out creepy, this is definetly a good book for that. But this isn't one of Wright's best books. It just seems fake. The characters are unrelatable, and it doesn't seem real. For some reason, I just got the feeling that the book was angry that I was reading it. I didn't think that it was an expecially good book, but it's a good ghost story.
Mo
Crandalls' Castle was a good book and every part was full of mystery with wonderful word choice. The ending ,although, could have been improved. Overall, this book is definitely not for teens or adults but it is a great "horror" story for children ages 8-10.
Kylie
I read this mystery in 3rd grade with my bestie Hannah and we both thought it was the scariest book of our life!!! I still sometimes compare how scared I was then with that book to newer books I read. I can still remember it and it is an ideal thriller for younger ages.
Krista
An easy fast paced book about a scatter brained family who buys a run down house to turn it into a bed and breakfast, gets haunted out of that idea by a murder hungry ghost. Lots of fun.
Linda
This book is a nice ghost story read for mid-graders. It's not too scary but scary enough to keep a kid's interest. Very cute read.
Megan
A good yet disturbing children's story both simplistic and creepy like a campfire tale with more rounded characters
Heather
A horror/mystery for tweens. This one was a little spookier than I expected, but not too bad.
Sabrina
i thought this book was very interesting its adventurous and at times nerve raking
Cory
I would call this a pretty good story. nice characters, good pacing, memorable end.
Alexis
It scared te heck out of me when she seen the shadow of a rocking cradle!
Ashley
I loved Betty Ren Wright's ghost stories as a kid.
Charank20
great book but really really scary yet really really good
10-11 Kathryn
Its great so far! now I have read it, it was fantastic!
Katia
Interesting. It had a bad beginning but it got better. :-)
Ashtinh le
it was pretty good. mysterious and FREAKY!!!
Good characters; not particularly frightening.
Jake Alvey
this book was very mysterious and frightening!
Emma
IT is a very good book with a suprise ending
  • Blood Trail
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror
  • Trouble with Lemons
  • The Intruders
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Abomination
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Bloody Horowitz
  • My Daylight Monsters (Mary Hades #0.5)
  • The Stranger Next Door
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • The Wizard's Castle (Circle of Magic # 5)
  • The Long Weekend
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The McCree's Star Spangled 4th (Chasing McCree, #1.1)
  • Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...
The Dollhouse Murders Christina's Ghost Ghosts Beneath Our Feet The Ghosts of Mercy Manor A Ghost in the House