Start by marking “Crandalls' Castle” as Want to Read:
Crandalls' Castle

Crandalls' Castle

When her uncle decides to buy the Crandalls' old mansion and make it a bed-and-breakfast, twelve-year-old Charli is all for it, at first. She even volunteers to help clean out the dilapidated building. Then strange things begin to happen. Charli hears someone singing--but no one is there. She sees the shadow of a rocking cradle--but there is no cradle. And then she hears a ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Crandalls' Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crandalls' Castle

Liz
Aug 05, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
This was another great book by Betty Ren Wright. The suspense was steady through the whole book and I could hardly put it down. I liked the way she had Charli's chapters alternating with the journal of the girl who lived across the street. It was easy and exciting to read. I'm definitely keeping this one!
Carmen
Dec 16, 2012 Carmen marked it as to-read
This is a very suspenseful story, I love it so much!
RumBelle
May 26, 2017 RumBelle rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
This was not the best, or worst, of Wright's books that I have read. Some of the elements fell a little flat, but others hit the mark beautifully. I love these books when the setting is an old, mysterious house, and that was one of the elements Wright did so well. Her descriptions were chilling, and spooky. Some of the elements of the story-line were a little hokey, but the book is intended for a younger audience. Overall, a good ghost story.
Mel Sunshine
Mar 15, 2014 Mel Sunshine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Confession time. I am an adult who enjoys reading teen fiction. I don't mean Vampire Academy style, though some of that is okay. I mean Goosebumps and Betty Ren Wright.

My best friend recently suggested we read The Dollhouse Murders together and so I picked up Crandalls' Castle at the same time.

This isn't one of my favorites but it is an entertaining read nonetheless. The passages were descriptive and painted a vivid mental images.

The ghost and mystery aspect of the story are downright eerie. My
Kennedy
Mar 28, 2016 Kennedy rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This was a quick pretty quick read for a chapter book. For a children's scary story, there were some moments where it did get kinda creepy towards the end. The story is of Charli, and her interesting family made up of her mom, new step dad, crazy aunt, uncle, and cousins that live right next door, and now this new girl who has come to live with her aunt and uncle. Her uncle comes up with a crazy scheme to fix up the old "haunted" mansion near their house and turn it into a bed and breakfast. At ...more
Eve
Apr 03, 2012 Eve added it
Crandall’s Castle, by Betty Ren Wright, is about a girl named Charli. Her uncle decides to buy an old mansion to turn into a bed and breakfast. Charli is excited about it, until she goes into the mansion. She begins to have strange encounters, including doors closing by themselves, cradles rocking by themselves, and faint voices of singing when no one is there. Then, she hears a baby crying. Charli knows that something bad happened in the house, and she’s scared that it’s going to happen again. ...more
Dayna Smith
Nov 24, 2011 Dayna Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-shelf
Sophia has no family, her grandmother is dying and she is about to be sent to live with a distant relative, after stays in numerous foster homes. Sophia sees things before they happen and this has caused her nothing but trouble - so she's keeping quiet. Charli's mom has just remarried and while Charli likes Ray he doesn't seem to like her mother's family. Uncle Will and Aunt Lilly are quite a pair! Uncle Will has always got some get-rich-quick scheme going and this drives the very sensible Ray n ...more
Carol Caldwell
Sep 04, 2014 Carol Caldwell rated it really liked it
It is an interesting format. For a writer, it probably was hard to keep the points of view straight. We read a third person point of view from the main character Charli, a single teen with a new step-father. Then we have a first person point of view from Sophia, an orphan who comes to live with Charli's aunt and uncle who live across the street from her. The aunt is a distant relative of Sophia's.

I would say the third main character is the old Victorian house that they call a castle. We learn ab
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This book is written from two points of view. One is Charli, a young girl who is a member of the family that plans to turn an old mansion into a bed-and-breakfast, and the other girl is Sophia who seems to be bounced around from one relative to another and is ending up across the street from Charli.

It's interesting to see how the chapters deal with one or the other point of view of the two girls, and how they end up becoming involved in the restoration of the old mansion and end up discovering t
Anita
Intending to pick up The Dollhouse Murders for a reread with my BFF as part of our Mini Book Club selections, I came across this book at the library and decided to give it a go since the cover looks so creepy cool (from a child's perspective as well as my own). Unfortunately, this book didn't come off as well as I expected and I was thoroughly disappointed.

For a full ranting review see my post at Review: Crandall's Castle on my BookLike's blog: Ani's Book Abyss.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
The style of switching back and forth between two protagonists, along with writing one in first person and the other in third person was very interesting, especially when the two characters weren't getting along.
Overall, I thought the personal drama of the two girls--Charlie adjusting to a new step father and Sophia's arrival; and Sophia, a foster kid looking for a place she can belong--was much more compelling than the ghost story that they end up wrapped up in.
Amanda
I didnt like this book at all. I thought it was very boring, not worth the read.

I read this book in 6th grade and it was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so boring. (It probably needs more so's but...) I really thought this book was going to be awesome but it was not, it was so boring. I mean I don't now any other words to describe it besides that it is really boring!
Michaela
Jul 06, 2013 Michaela rated it it was ok
If you want something flat out creepy, this is definetly a good book for that. But this isn't one of Wright's best books. It just seems fake. The characters are unrelatable, and it doesn't seem real. For some reason, I just got the feeling that the book was angry that I was reading it. I didn't think that it was an expecially good book, but it's a good ghost story.
Morgan Duplechin
Aug 20, 2014 Morgan Duplechin rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I love ghost stories! I saw the cover of this book and fell in love with it instantly. I liked this book. It's a good book for if you want a quick read that will send shivers down your spine. At times one of the main characters, Charli, would get on my nerves but other than that I liked this book.
Mo
Dec 26, 2013 Mo rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-books
Crandalls' Castle was a good book and every part was full of mystery with wonderful word choice. The ending ,although, could have been improved. Overall, this book is definitely not for teens or adults but it is a great "horror" story for children ages 8-10.
Kylie
Jul 23, 2011 Kylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this mystery in 3rd grade with my bestie Hannah and we both thought it was the scariest book of our life!!! I still sometimes compare how scared I was then with that book to newer books I read. I can still remember it and it is an ideal thriller for younger ages.
Jake Alvey
this book was very mysterious and frightening!
Anita
Jul 23, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
Ended too soon!
10-11 Kathryn
Sep 09, 2010 10-11 Kathryn rated it liked it
Its great so far! now I have read it, it was fantastic!
Heather
Jun 06, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
A horror/mystery for tweens. This one was a little spookier than I expected, but not too bad.
Charli
Apr 07, 2010 Charli rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review, audio
for professional review
Megan
Apr 16, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
A good yet disturbing children's story both simplistic and creepy like a campfire tale with more rounded characters
Roxanne
Oct 10, 2008 Roxanne rated it liked it
pretty good. they saved mickey
Isabel.s.f
Nov 11, 2010 Isabel.s.f marked it as to-read
I found it on amazon.
Moon
Feb 20, 2009 Moon added it
Can you say creepy?!?
Katia
Feb 10, 2012 Katia rated it liked it
Interesting. It had a bad beginning but it got better. :-)
Ashtinh le
Dec 17, 2008 Ashtinh le rated it liked it
it was pretty good. mysterious and FREAKY!!!
Carrie Dalby
Apr 06, 2014 Carrie Dalby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
Another great read about family with a sprinkling of haunts.
Emma
Dec 15, 2010 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
IT is a very good book with a suprise ending
Rachel
Jan 16, 2016 Rachel rated it it was ok
Never felt like the story fully developed, and it ended very abruptly. Felt like the initial idea of the story could have been good, but just fell flat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Blood Trail
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror
  • Trouble with Lemons (Fawcett Juniper)
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Stranger Next Door
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • The Intruders
  • The Mystery of Drear House (Dies Drear Chronicles, #2)
  • Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • The Long Weekend
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • The Raven's Knot (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #2)
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...