Start by marking “The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best” as Want to Read:
The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best

The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Sheryl Sandberg advises women to "lean in" to realize their full potential. To do so successfully, women need effective communication skills and a confident presentation style.In this must-have guide, one of the nation’s premier speech coaches shares tested techniques from twenty years of coaching women on what works and what doesn’t. The author details the practices and t ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Prometheus Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Ruxandra Balboa-Pöysti
Jan 06, 2012 Ruxandra Balboa-Pöysti rated it really liked it
When I first heard of this book, I had great expectations as I do believe we, women, should be able to give each other a kick in the ass from time to time to propel us in our careers - not to mention that I am the president of a Toastmasters club (in Finland) and that I indeed know how important it is to support the development of public speaking and communications skills, the importance of gaining confidence through training, etc.

I have not been disappointed: the book is very comprehensive and
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2011 Stephanie is currently reading it
Recommends it for: women who do public speaking
Recommended to Stephanie by: Story Circle Network
If you are seeking an up-to-the-minute resource that will turn you into a first rate speaker, this is your book. Written by a top speech coach, this book leads you into claiming your power by confidently stating your ideas and opinions while looking polished and prepared. In short, it helps you conquer public-speaking anxiety and be taken seriously.

Simply illustrated by Kersti Frigell with real life examples from speakers such as Ann Richards, Pat Summitt, Maya Angelou, and Melinda Gates, the ma
Tara
Jan 10, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
I really appreciated the author's anecdotal style to describe some of America's most outspoken women from whom she has drawn much of her inspiration. I don't speak publicly, so there were many parts of this book that I was able to skim, but I did find it useful to hear the stories of how women mentors handle themselves in the face of sexism and self-doubt.
Maggie
Feb 26, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I thought this book was incredibly useful and had some great advice for speaking, whether you are on a conference panel or presenting to your team at the office. I happened to go to two events this week and was able to note what the panelists were doing effectively and ineffectively - men and women! I also liked the author's strong call for us to support each other as women leaders and the profiles of different strong female speakers.
Decent primer for someone looking to get tips on public speaking -- although truthfully this is a skill that really should be taught/practiced in real life, and not just read about in a book.

For someone who has been trained in public speaking the book does not offer many new insights beyond the basics.
Avin
Oct 28, 2014 Avin rated it it was amazing
It is a must to read book, it guides how to be a truly well-spoken and astonishing presenter. And Christine is an amazing writer, the book is very well put together. lucky to have such book :)
Lillian
Jul 06, 2015 Lillian rated it liked it
The Well Spoken Woman is a great book on public speaking with a guide to how to prepare and present a speech that is thoughtful and thorough, while at the same time entertaining and inspiring with stories of well known accomplished women. I think the main reason I only gave it 3 stars is because I thought that it would have more tips on how to be a well spoken woman in the workplace, not just for giving speeches and presentations.
Jenna
Mar 13, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Must-read for any woman who regularly speaks to the public or works with the media!
Kelly
Sep 01, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for any woman who desires to sound (and look) her best in any speaking situation... from a brief introduction to a major speech or media interview. Jahnke profiles many, many successful women as she instructs the reader on how to state ideas more effectively, overcome anxiety, be taken seriously (especially in situations dominated by men), gain confidence in asserting opinions, and be polished and prepared. This is a great addition to my library, and a book that will be ref ...more
Patricia J
Nov 19, 2013 Patricia J rated it it was amazing
One of the best ultimate books for public speaking. You cannot read this book one time it must be read several times over.I personally read this book seven times and still reading different chapters once per week. The book cover everything from how to prepare and deliver acceptance speeches also how to speak with the media and so much more. It's your own private speech coach. The Well Spoken Woman is a book to have in your personal library.
Lisa Peterson
Jan 30, 2012 Lisa Peterson rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal book which should be required reading for any woman who has to speak to anyone, ever. It was both inspirational and instructional. I came away with many useful tips I can immediately incorporate into my upcoming public talks.
Holly
An excellent primer on public speaking and comporting yourself in the best way possible. All range of women could benefit from this book, not only women in the public eye. Give it a try!
Lynn
Sep 14, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Very helpful. I know I'll be referring to it in the years to come.
Shanti
Sep 29, 2013 Shanti rated it really liked it
Michel T
Michel T marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Jennifer Luo
Jennifer Luo marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jessica Olson
Jessica Olson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Yong Chin
Yong Chin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jacqueline johns
Jacqueline johns marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Meggi Trapaidze
Meggi Trapaidze marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Elizabeth Browne
Elizabeth Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Zoraida Roig
Zoraida Roig is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Crystal Otubuah
Crystal Otubuah marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lea Deesing
Lea Deesing marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Emily Saunders
Emily Saunders rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 28, 2016
Tram
Tram marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Whitney
Whitney is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
  • Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Women Don't Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • The Stress Free You: How to Live Stress Free and Feel Great Everyday, Starting Today
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • Be All You Can Be
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • Hardball for Women
  • How to Land (and Keep) a Literary Agent
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Woman Up!: Overcome the 7 Deadly Sins That Sabotage Your Success
  • On the Run (The Elijah Project, #1)

“More children will live through their parents' bankruptcy than will live through their parents' divorce.” 0 likes
“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.” 0 likes