Start by marking “Seven Dogs in Heaven” as Want to Read:
Seven Dogs in Heaven

Seven Dogs in Heaven

Part memoir, part fable, and part fantasy, this is the story of a man who dies unexpectedly and makes his way to Paradise with the help of the canine friends who shared his life. What if you lived in the middle of a beautiful nowhere, with a dog who mysteriously appeared at your door? What if you were out hiking one winter day, you broke your leg, and you froze to death? ...more
Published September 21st 2011 by Createspace (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Dogs in Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Dogs in Heaven

Brenda Perlin
Aug 02, 2014 Brenda Perlin rated it it was amazing
“When Imagination changes from hoping to knowing, it makes things real.”

Seven Dogs in Heaven by Leland Dirks (and Angelo, of course) has a creative storyline that grabbed my attention right away. Just the title made me weepy. Losing dogs is such an emotional subject. But this story was an uplift even if it could be emotional at times. There are lessons. Real life lessons that if we pay attention we will learn something. I really enjoyed the unusual path the author chose to take us on.

Seven Dogs
Robert Deburgh
Jan 24, 2012 Robert Deburgh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if you died and awakened in a world where the dogs you had shared your previous life with judged your actions and attitudes in a court of law? How would the verdict turn out in your case?
Leland Dirks has imagined just such a world and described it masterfully in "Seven Dogs in Heaven." Of course this was with the help of Angelo Dirks, a beautiful Border Collie who is his lifetime partner and friend.
The book is well written with humor and some sadness. It brings a message to all dog lovers
Greta Burroughs
Leland Dirks’ view of heaven is a little different than what I had been taught. I like his version better. Dogs have been a big part of my life and that’s probably why I enjoy Leland and Angelo’s books so much.
Our four-footed companions should be the ultimate judge of our life on Earth with their no nonsense approach to what is right and wrong. I just hope my furry friends rate my life worthy of an afterlife in Heaven.
Lori
Apr 08, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals-dogs
sweet story about a man who dies and before he gets to heaven he reunites with the dogs he had in his life. they are there to offer advice. he ends up in a judgement before he gets to heaven. I love to read stories about dogs. this was a nice book for dog lovers.
Lindsay
Mar 23, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
A short, but thought-provoking read.
Nancy Silk
May 10, 2014 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
"If Dogs Were To Judge Us"

This is a very moving, fascinating story of meeting up with all the dogs one has had throughout life. It's extremely well written, and at first I thought it was a collection of short stories, but I was wrong. The first chapter, "The End" reflects the last days of an older man's plight in the frozen elements of winter with a broken leg. His companion and loving dog, Angelo, is at his side. The next chapter, "Imagination" is where the man appears to have visions as he fee
D.J.
Feb 26, 2014 D.J. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: for anyone!
Seven Dogs in Heaven by Leland Dirks

I don't read reviews before reading books--and I'm glad I didn't in this case, also--too many spoilers (but I must admit, it would have been nice to know I needed a box of kleenex at my side).

Seven Dogs is the first of Leland Dirks' books that I've read. It is a compelling, well written story about the journey an old man, after his untimely death, made to heaven. I was uncomfortable in how it began--I actually put the book down before finishing the first chapt
Jan
Sep 17, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bought
What an interesting and different kind of dog story, it actually made me cry twice, one was related to my very first dog. This one is "the best" of Leland's books thus far. Even though it is fiction you leave it thinking "what if" and "maybe it could really happen". There's a lot of things that make you think about life and dogs and their place in it. I loved the inclusion of the Marines in the story. When a man dies we are carried along in with his confusion from his eyes and have a million ...more
Grace
Oct 17, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follow Leland as his trusty K9 companions show him the ropes after his death. If you had to stand trial for your past treatment of your furrbabies would you be found "lacking"? How about if the jury were those very furrbabies? The author has a humorous touch that can put a smile on your lips and tears in your eye.

After reading Leland and Angelo's story you won't be able to deny that this writing team is one to keep an eye on. This is the second of Angelo's books I have read and they are a must
Pam
Feb 24, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
This book really goes to the heart of our relationship with our dogs and how we treat them. I also could not help thinking of this as an analogy to human's relationship with God and how we are being judged by God. Without giving too much away, one man get's an opportunity to visit dogs from his past who are now in heaven. When I first started reading the book, I was not sure I would like it, but it really is a must read for all dog-owners. This is likely one book that I will read more than once.
Virginia L. Wilber
Great book! Great lessons!

Great book! Great lessons!

I gave this book 5 star rating because it had lessons of life to teach us. Lessons that u may not have even thought of. We are all God's creations and should treat each other as such, man or beast! I would recommend this book to anyone that needs uplifting. Even though it's not a true story I believe the message is clear. May God bless the authors and all who had a hand in putting this book out for us to read, Clearly God had a big hand in it.
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Seven Dogs in Heaven by Leland Dirks
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
I approached this book with some apprehension, thinking that Angelo would be the main character, again. I was relieved when I found myself identifying with his owner ascending to "dog heaven" and having his final judgment in quite a unique setting.
The central plot -- reincarnation -- reminded me of Grizabella's plight in Cats. I hope the author doesn't mind.
I enjoyed the book, immensely.
Cathy
Jul 09, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Ok, this made me cry.
It's about a man who dies and finds himself in heaven(?). He's met by all the dogs he's had in his life while they tell him what virtue they tried to teach him. But he's put on trial to find out if he ever really learned their lessons.
It made me think of all the pets I hope are waiting for me.
My copy says the author is Leland Dirks.
Bethe
Aug 24, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
Not sure about this book, at times I found it very sappy, then heartwarming, funny after I cried, then gasping at an unexpected turn of events. It's not stellar writing but worth $2.49 on kindle. Love the border collie Christmas story at the end, I am very partial to border collies, kept thinking about my beloved angel Guthrie!
Amy
Sep 28, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seven Dogs is a wonderful journey into the imagination as well as the human spirit. Exploring the afterlife is well visited terrain for authors but this is a very fresh and compelling vision of it. This book satisfies on a number of levels and I only wish I could have spent more time with these fantastic 7 dogs.
Sharon Crone
Feb 13, 2015 Sharon Crone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short book with great lessons

Fantasy and wisdom combined in this short book. When I first began reading I wasn't certain but I was so happy I continued reading. Your mind is opened to doors of lessons and the journey of growth. There are smiles and tears combined with "ah ha" moments.
Jane Sattler
Oct 27, 2015 Jane Sattler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angelo is a personal friend of mine and his owner usually says "Hi" also when we meet. The concept of this story is intriguing and it is certainly an all time favorite of mine in its well-developed pages. I have read it out-loud to my grandchildren and I have enjoyed it many times. If I need something inspiring to pick up--this is my go-to.
Christina Hickey
Aug 22, 2013 Christina Hickey rated it really liked it
Short story but touching! This book really shows the relationship between humans and dogs. It shows how dogs treat us with such love and how much fidelity they are to their master. Recommend to all dog lovers.
dave doak
Oct 20, 2015 dave doak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for people who have enjoyed the companionship of several dogs

Outstanding tale - readers who have lived with and bonded with several dogs over the years will easily relate to this endearing story. Oh, you will tear up at times but that is a good thing. di
Peggy
Jan 04, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
This is a story about dogs that one has in their life and when they get to "dog" heaven they actually judge their owner in the end as to if they will get into their heaven. It is an interesting concept, a story both my husband and I enjoyed reading.
Cheryl Mayo
Sep 20, 2012 Cheryl Mayo rated it it was amazing
A very enlightening look at the other side of death. Very creative and thought provoking. Loved it.
Emme
Jul 31, 2012 Emme rated it really liked it
To think you could spend eternity with all your pets, how glorious it would be...and learn lessons from them even in the afterlife...I'd die tomorrow. :)
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jan 22, 2016 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it really liked it
e reader

"Part memoir, part fable, and part fantasy, this is the story of a man who dies unexpectedly and makes his way to Paradise with the help of the canine friends who shared his life"
Kim
Oct 12, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Having had multiple dogs in my life and still owning, I reflected on all of them and what they taught me and what they are teaching me. Will reread this again.
Kellianne
Jun 20, 2014 Kellianne rated it really liked it
Cute story, and has a lot of really good lessons--of course, dogs are the best teachers after all. ;)
John Cade
Dec 20, 2013 John Cade rated it really liked it
Very nice book that is also a quick read. Great message and even greater angle for those of us who are dog lovers.
Joan
May 25, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
If you've ever lost a pet you loved, you'll see why this is a five star story.
Jane Caruana
Sep 04, 2012 Jane Caruana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very moving & thought provoking.
Jesse
Mar 04, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful dog book. I will listen to this one more than twice.
Gita Sturtevant
Dec 08, 2014 Gita Sturtevant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gentle

Must read idea to touch even the hardest of hearts with a better outlook for the future don't miss this chanc
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Angelo's Journey: A Border Collie's Quest for Home
  • Together
  • Life is But a Dream: On the Lake (Grace Adams Series)
  • Maggie: The dog Who Changed My Life
  • Animals and the Afterlife: True Stories of Our Best Friends' Journey Beyond Death
  • Blind Courage: Journey of Faith
  • Whole
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • The Chosen One (Grimsley Hollow, #1)
  • If Only I Could Talk: A Canine Adventure
  • Plenty in Life is Free
  • Triple Dog Dare
  • Shirley Link and the Hot Comic (Shirley Link, #2)
  • The Dogs of War
  • Paw Prints in the Sand
  • The Puppy Diaries: Raising a Dog Named Scout
  • Connected Souls A Dog Story
  • Scaredy Dog: Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog
Leland lives in an off-grid house that he built himself, with the help of neighbors from time to time. Angelo supervised the whole thing. Now he's pursuing another lifelong dream: Being a published author.

Seven Dogs in Heaven, Jimmy Mender and His Miracle Dog, and Angelo's Journey have been enjoyed on all seven continents (yes, if you check the library at McMurdo Station on Antarctica, you'll fin
More about Leland Dirks...

“Hero love?” I was puzzled. “You know. The kind of love you have for someone you want to be like: Marines, astronauts, cowboys, teachers, big brothers, that sort of thing. You love them because they represent the you that you want to be.” 8 likes
“Friendship love. This is a very special thing. It’s the sort of love where you know another being’s strengths and weaknesses, perfections and imperfections, and you love the whole package.” 4 likes