Start by marking “The Price” as Want to Read:
The Price

The Price

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  8 reviews
For Jimmy Pecatti, joining the mob doesn’t seem so bad. The street tax on his old man’s business drops to zero, he pulls down more cash in a week than he used to see in half a year--and, if he’s gonna learn to channel his innate talent for magic, the underworld is the only place to do it. It seems like everything he could ask for.

Trouble is, Jimmy doesn’t know what he’s ge
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price

Katy
Jan 13, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Katy by: Joseph Garraty
Shelves: ebook
Please note/Disclosure: I originally read and reviewed this book in December, 2011 from a copy provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Older Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of urban fantasy, Dresden Files
Trigger Warnings: Violence

My Synopsis: Jimmy Peccati is a fairly normal kid – his father owns a small meat market and he and his mother help him out. Of course he’s had to grow up tough – he’s a Southie
Bill Thibadeau
I received this book as a freebie in exchange for reviews. This book is a fantasy story set within the Boston mafia world. I normally do not read fantasy books. Neither of these items play a part in my honest review.

This book is simply about a Boston mob-wizard. Sounded like an odd plot to me when I realized quite early on that was the subject. I thought - get real and Are you kidding me? I was very surprised that the story actually works and works very well.

The book is a polished novel even th
Jill Elizabeth
Today I’m honored to take you on your second trip into the world of author Joe Garraty, this time into The Price, a Mafia-filled corner of said world for a crime story unlike any you’re likely to have read before. My review copy of The Price was graciously provided by the author.

Joe Garraty writes great books.

There, I’ve said it. If you ever see his name, pick up the book. It’s that simple. There aren’t many authors I can say this about, mind you, so take the advice at face value. Seriously. Th
Soleil
Joseph Garraty is slowly becoming my favorite male author. He writes the dark, gritty, twisty plots I’m naturally drawn to and he writes them so well that I’m always sad to reach the end. His writing style, while straight-forward, is so packed with a biting sardonic sense of humor that keeps me smirking even when the characters have found themselves up the creek without a paddle.

Sometimes, they even deserve to be there.

That’s a huge draw for me. Characters that aren’t perfect, not even particula
Daniel Kaine
Jimmy Pecatti has a talent for magic. So when the Mafia shows up, offering him and his family protection and the training he needs to channel his innate powers, he quickly decides to join. However, an out-of-control wizard named Kelsen, working for the Russians, is summoning up unkillable demons and leaving people in shreds all over the city, and Jimmy may be the only person able to stop him. But all things come with a price, including his magic, and he'll have to take a flamethrower to his soul ...more
Mirrani
When you mix magic and the mob you get The Price, a creative story about growing up under the influence of gangs in South Boston. The main character learns the hard way that magic isn't what you'd expect it to be and that there's a price for murmuring those words, casting out your requests to the spirits who are doing the deeds as you have suggested.

A mixture of gangs and monsters isn't as bizarre as it sounds though, the characters were well written and the haunts of the main character alone ar
Julia Phillips
Different! Magic and the mob, a heady combination. Very imaginative plot with an anti-hero who engages the reader's sympathy and interest from the beginning. The story moves along at a cracking pace with plenty of action and a fair bit of violence - so not one for the squeamish - but great fun for those of us who enjoy mayhem and madness.
Xenophon Hendrix
This guy can write.
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Anthony Mele
Anthony Mele marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Bryon
Bryon marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Natalya Kuraeva
Natalya Kuraeva marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Hank
Hank marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Alen
Alen marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
mskamd
mskamd marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Joseph Garraty is an author of dark fantasy, horror, and science fiction. He has worked as a construction worker, rocket test engineer, environmental consultant, technical writer, and deadbeat musician. He lives in Dallas, Texas.
More about Joseph Garraty...
Voice To Rule This Broken Earth The Q-Bomb The Old Bone Road