Start by marking “Out of the Dark” as Want to Read:
Out of the Dark

Out of the Dark

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The acclaimed author of A Ghost in the House offers a mesmerizing new chiller about a young girl stalked by a vengeful ghost. Betty Ren Wright combines an eerie ghost story with a tale of family love and loyalty in a suspense-filled page-turner that will keep young readers on the edge of their seats.
Published January 1st 1995 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Dark

Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert  BeattyA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanDoll Bones by Holly Black
Spooky Middle Grade Reads
90th out of 122 books — 52 voters
The Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Children of Green Knowe by L.M. BostonThe Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing HahnDoll Bones by Holly Black
Middle Grade Ghost Stories
110th out of 114 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
Out of the Dark is an easy-to-read, creepy little ghost story with a lot of creativity to it.
Charlotte Hunter
Jessica and her family, who are struggling financially, stay in her grandmother's house in the country. She worries about making friends. She worries even more about dreams she's having about a schoolhouse that is full of menace and the figure of a woman whose face is filled with hatred.

Jessica discovers her grandmother's childhood diaries and reads in these a story of unrequited love and another of deep, abiding jealousy. The ghostly woman appears to Jessica several times, each time more menac
Ysabel
when I was a child I loved Betty ren wrights books still a favorite author. the top most exciting books from her are the dollhouse murderers the ghost of mercy manor and this delight of a book out of the dark. I remember being so captivated and intrigues by this story it keeps you guessing and the descriptions in the story give you chills it's amazing to read this story unfold until you finally get complete understanding at the end this is a must read if you like mystery.
David
Oct 22, 2007 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror/mystery readers
This book is about Jessica Belland, a teenager, who has just moved into her grandmother's country house with her father and mother. This would seem great and all, however, a ghostly young woman begins to haunt her as soon as she moves in.

Soon she unravels the mystery behind the ghost woman and it seems to be related to her grandmother's mysterious childhood...

Stephanie A.
A spooky tale, one that I didn't read as a child but I'm sure would have scared the pants off me (in a good way). The description of the lady in blue is just too chilling, especially when it's leaving physical satin ribbons and actively trying to murder you. I liked the discovery of her grandmother's journals and the abandoned one-room schoolhouse, too.
Alyssa
Loved this book when I was a kid--still pick it up to flip through every now and then, when I'm in the right mood. Fun, scary ghost story with a real connection to the protagonist's past (unlike in horror movies and some ghost stories, where the readers/viewers never really know why a particular character was chosen by the "ghost").
Amanda
This was a good book and had some twist plots in it.

I really liked this book I read it in early middle school or late elementary because I had read other books by Betty Ren Wright and I loved her books even then so I bought it and read it. I think that this helped me fall more in love with Betty Ren Wrights books.
Danielle
I remember loving this book so much when I was younger. It was the perfect mystery book for younger readers. If you know someone who loves mystery and is in this reading level definitly pick this up for them! Or any Betty ren Wrights book for that matter1
Betsy Payne
This book is a little bit different but quite similar to the Goosebumps books. I've read this a long time ago. This book is pretty okay to read. It's mainly for kids who like goosebumps, will like reading this book.
Katie
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I would read it over and over and over. I'm currently trying to track down a copy to see if I'll still like it as much ten years later!!
Catherine
Betty Ren Wright delivers another scary story - not too scary - but enough.
Brittany
Spooky... for an elementary school girl at least, I loved reading this.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Well written. A delightful ghost tale told through a teenager’s eyes.
Erika Cullen
This book is really good, i read it in like.. 5th grade???
Jalien
de schim in het duister
Cws
JMAR4-Wri
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Blythe
Blythe added it
Aug 25, 2015
Hallie Jackson
Hallie Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Lindsey Hollands
Lindsey Hollands marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Historietime
Historietime marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Meena
Meena marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • The Ghosts of Stone Hollow
  • The Locked Room (Shivers, #5)
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • Goodnight Kiss (Fear Street Superchiller, # 3)
  • Crooked Hills
  • Haunted Kids: True Ghost Stories
  • Goody Hall
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • Curse of the Arctic Star (Nancy Drew Diaries #1)
  • Virtual Vampires of Vermont (American Chillers, #13)
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Grimoire
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Being Dead
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...
The Dollhouse Murders Christina's Ghost Ghosts Beneath Our Feet The Ghosts of Mercy Manor A Ghost in the House