Start by marking “Out of the Dark” as Want to Read:
Out of the Dark

Out of the Dark

The acclaimed author of A Ghost in the House offers a mesmerizing new chiller about a young girl stalked by a vengeful ghost. Betty Ren Wright combines an eerie ghost story with a tale of family love and loyalty in a suspense-filled page-turner that will keep young readers on the edge of their seats.
Published January 1st 1995 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Dark

Rebecca McNutt
Apr 23, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Out of the Dark is an easy-to-read, creepy little ghost story with a lot of creativity to it.
Liz
Aug 02, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
I was disappointed in this one. It was okay if you like creepy ghost stories. What I didn't like was the main character's friend. They had such a rocky relationship that it took the joy out of it for me. The friend had a problem with her leg and expected everyone to dislike her. Her personality just made it hard to like her. However, some kids may be able to relate to those feelings.
Charlotte Hunter
Jessica and her family, who are struggling financially, stay in her grandmother's house in the country. She worries about making friends. She worries even more about dreams she's having about a schoolhouse that is full of menace and the figure of a woman whose face is filled with hatred.

Jessica discovers her grandmother's childhood diaries and reads in these a story of unrequited love and another of deep, abiding jealousy. The ghostly woman appears to Jessica several times, each time more menac
Ysabel
Aug 07, 2015 Ysabel rated it it was amazing
when I was a child I loved Betty ren wrights books still a favorite author. the top most exciting books from her are the dollhouse murderers the ghost of mercy manor and this delight of a book out of the dark. I remember being so captivated and intrigues by this story it keeps you guessing and the descriptions in the story give you chills it's amazing to read this story unfold until you finally get complete understanding at the end this is a must read if you like mystery.
Amanda
Apr 01, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was a good book and had some twist plots in it.

I really liked this book I read it in early middle school or late elementary because I had read other books by Betty Ren Wright and I loved her books even then so I bought it and read it. I think that this helped me fall more in love with Betty Ren Wrights books.
David
Oct 22, 2007 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror/mystery readers
This book is about Jessica Belland, a teenager, who has just moved into her grandmother's country house with her father and mother. This would seem great and all, however, a ghostly young woman begins to haunt her as soon as she moves in.

Soon she unravels the mystery behind the ghost woman and it seems to be related to her grandmother's mysterious childhood...

Stephanie A.
A spooky tale, one that I didn't read as a child but I'm sure would have scared the pants off me (in a good way). The description of the lady in blue is just too chilling, especially when it's leaving physical satin ribbons and actively trying to murder you. I liked the discovery of her grandmother's journals and the abandoned one-room schoolhouse, too.
Alyssa
Mar 01, 2012 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I was a kid--still pick it up to flip through every now and then, when I'm in the right mood. Fun, scary ghost story with a real connection to the protagonist's past (unlike in horror movies and some ghost stories, where the readers/viewers never really know why a particular character was chosen by the "ghost").
Danielle
May 08, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I remember loving this book so much when I was younger. It was the perfect mystery book for younger readers. If you know someone who loves mystery and is in this reading level definitly pick this up for them! Or any Betty ren Wrights book for that matter1
Betsy Payne
Jan 12, 2012 Betsy Payne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-owns
This book is a little bit different but quite similar to the Goosebumps books. I've read this a long time ago. This book is pretty okay to read. It's mainly for kids who like goosebumps, will like reading this book.
Catherine
Nov 15, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Betty Ren Wright delivers another scary story - not too scary - but enough.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Oct 07, 2012 JoAnn Ainsworth rated it it was amazing
Well written. A delightful ghost tale told through a teenager’s eyes.
Sara G.
Feb 14, 2013 Sara G. rated it liked it

AWESOme
Erika Cullen
Apr 16, 2009 Erika Cullen rated it it was amazing
This book is really good, i read it in like.. 5th grade???
Cws
JMAR4-Wri
Katie
Apr 27, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I would read it over and over and over. I'm currently trying to track down a copy to see if I'll still like it as much ten years later!!
Brittany
May 03, 2011 Brittany rated it liked it
Spooky... for an elementary school girl at least, I loved reading this.
Jalien
Dec 07, 2010 Jalien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-in-dutch
de schim in het duister
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2008
American
American rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
ari
ari rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Tiffany Wright
Tiffany Wright rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Angela Zoller
Angela Zoller rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Kirsten Murphy
Kirsten Murphy rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Brittany Martin
Brittany Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Ghosts of Stone Hollow
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • The Locked Room (Shivers, #5)
  • Goodnight Kiss 2 (Fear Street Superchiller, # 10)
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Virtual Vampires of Vermont (American Chillers, #13)
  • Curse of the Arctic Star (Nancy Drew Diaries #1)
  • Grimoire
  • Ghost Cadet
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...