Start by marking “Ghosts Beneath Our Feet” as Want to Read:
Ghosts Beneath Our Feet

Ghosts Beneath Our Feet

Katie believed that spending the summer in a quiet little town would be really cool. There'd be new kids to meet and lots of places to explore. But Katie's dream summer quickly turns into a nightmare. The quite little town is practically deserted, and the local kids don't seem too friendly.
Published July 1st 1995 by Scholastic (first published 1984)

Becky
Back in the day, Betty Ren Wright was right up there with R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike for YA mysteries. I'd never read any of her books though, I'm not sure why, but when I saw this one in my local thrift store for $0.59, I picked it up.

For as short as it is, and as big as the font is, it took me forever to read it. Not that this was a bad book, but rather that there was a lot of stuff that didn't really serve any purpose other than to provide length. The one guy has a motorcycle and a bad
Rachel
Nov 14, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
awesomely scary and thrilling.
RumBelle
Sep 11, 2016 RumBelle rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Betty Ren Wright was always one of my favorite ghost story authors as a child. This book was among my favorites of hers, though I admit, there were others I liked better. :) This story has some classic elements to it. Almost abandoned town, old mine, creaky houses. What I love about Wright's writing is how she gives each of her ghosts a unique history and life. This book, in that respect, is wonderful.
Charlotte Hunter
Feb 25, 2014 Charlotte Hunter rated it really liked it
While not one of Wright's best books, GHOSTS BENEATH OUR FEET receives 4 stars from me because she introduces cultural elements that added elements of complexity to an otherwise simple story.

Katie, her mother, and her stepbrother, Jay, have arrived in a decrepit mining town to take care of Uncle Frank, an old friend of the family who lives in a decrepit house atop a long-abandoned mine. Thirty years earlier, Uncle Frank's son died in the mine, along with other miners, and an elderly woman in the
Mar 09, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie’s stepfather has just died, and she, her mother, and step-brother move to a fictional small town that I gather is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They will be living with and taking care of Uncle Frank, who is actually no relation to them. Newquay is a former mining town that is currently almost dead. The mine had collapsed 30 years prior, killing several men and giving rise to tales of ‘knackers,’ the ghosts of miners, turned evil and trying to tunnel their way out. Katie does see a ...more
Kristine Hansen
Oct 04, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, kids, paranormal
Spooky fun which was perfect on the day I read this - a chilly night in October with the wind howling outside my bedroom window.

Katie is staying in a spooky old house, one of the few occupied in what's become a ghost town in Northern Wisconsin. If i hadn't been through several such towns years ago I don't know that this story would have affected me the way it did. But what a setting for a ghost story! Something creepy is underneath the ground, and a spectral visitor seems to be warning Katie and
Amber dePixi
Dec 09, 2010 Amber dePixi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved this book as a kid, but it's been years since I read it. All I remember off the top of my head is a girl who sees a ghost in the mirror, there's a field full of flowers, an old mine explosion from years ago, and a brother or a stepbrother...

Glad I found this book so I can maybe read it again!
Felicia
Feb 15, 2016 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved ghost stories when I was a child. It's all I read. When I was growing up, I would read any book by Betty Ren Wright. Reading this book brought back memories of my childhood. I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend any of her books to anyone.
Mary
Nov 12, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. It was really, really good. I couldn't put it down. It was like when you got to one chapter, you had to read the next because it was like a mystery. If anybody likes a mystery and doesn't like to put down a book, this is something you can read.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
This was not the best book by Betty Ren Wright.

This book started okay, I liked it until the ending.(Which seem's thats how it is with most books I read.) The ending was really lame and I don't think that well thought out, but I love the rest of the Betty Ren Wright books I have read.
Misty
Jul 08, 2015 Misty rated it it was amazing
I love ghost stories and this one really gets your blood pumping and will definitely give you a case of the shivers.
Davraena
Apr 06, 2016 Davraena rated it it was amazing
Loved this. My favorite stormy-night-and-a-fire book. Always thought it was funny how they made pizza in this book, putting the cheese on last.
Maren
Mar 28, 2011 Maren rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books I remember reading when I was younger. I remember the images and feelings I had while reading it.
Heather Taylor-Naas
When I was about 10 or 12 I loved the books by Betty Ren Wright. So last month I revisited
my childhood. Was still as good as I remembered.
Catherine
Apr 24, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a quick scary - but not too scary - story. I like the theme of what makes a family that runs throughout it.
Sparkler
Aug 07, 2012 Sparkler rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this, and the second the ghost appeared my dog licked my toe. I jumped 3 feet in the air. XDDD
Liz
May 23, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
The part about the ghost was fun, but there was too much family drama between the mom, daughter, and stepson for me to really enjoy it. I suppose it was too realistic in that sense.
Katrina Sutton
Jul 28, 2012 Katrina Sutton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, favorites, own
I loved this book as a child where there was mystery as well as a ghost story. I rediscovered this book at an used book store and purchased it for my own little girl. Such a great find.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites from when I was a kid. I recommend it for young readers looking for a good ghost story, but it's also an appealing story about a girl struggling with a hard time in her life.
Angela Zoller
Angela Zoller rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Katherine Duke
Katherine Duke rated it liked it
May 14, 2013
Erin Vought
Erin Vought rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Christina Borgoyn
Christina Borgoyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
^k beth
^k beth rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Relaynie
ghosts,small towns,miners,supernatural
Alysia
Alysia rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
  • Ghost Cat
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • Karen's Wish (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Super Special, #1)
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • The House On Hackman's Hill
  • The Little Gymnast
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Christmas Ghost (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller Edition #1)
  • Seven Days to a Brand New Me
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Ghost Abbey
  • The Sara Summer
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds
  • Bargain Bride
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...