Start by marking “The Times History of the World” as Want to Read:
The Times History of the World

The Times History of the World

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Times Complete History of the World has sold over 2,000,000 copies since its first publication in 1978. It is the most exciting, authoritative and accessible work on world history available today. Its exciting visual narrative of the history of the world — from the origins of mankind to the 21st century — is an unrivalled accomplishment, and its over 600 maps and 300,0 ...more
Published November 12th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Times History of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Times History of the World

Zach
This book is a great example of what it wants to be- the broadest possible view of human history. Really fun to pick up and browse through from time to time.

But what brings it up a level is the obvious passion of the author, and his clear fascination with the tale of human history. His parting words are thoughtful and honest, remarking that humankind is on a new precipice between ecological disaster and long-term prosperity. He even has the sense to warn historians from trying to make bold predi
David Bosworth
great book to pick up and put down as and when you feel like it.
Nicole Tuttle
I did read this book. The art, the maps and timeslines are exciting. I showed it to a friend of mine she thought it was neat, only thing I didn't like about it that it doesn't have stuff on composers like bach, beethoven etc. A great book nevertheless.
Hayley Steven
As a history and archaeology graduate, this is a must have. So interesting. One of those must have coffee-table books.
Peter
(read this before Goodreads, added this years after reading the book)

Probably liked it.
Eva
All in all, it provides a good backgrounder on world history.
Masen Production
“For a history buff an another view point on the History of the world by a author who thinks its only the western influence that shaped the modern world. India plays a role of couple of pages, well one needs to read to know how some compilers can get one sided views.
None-the-less a good perspective of what must have shaped history.
Good try.”
Emma Hansen
Received this book as a Christmas gift. Could not love it more. It's not something you sit on the train to read. But I certainly love lying down on the floor and engulfing myself in whatever chapter catches my fancy. So much history in one book. No one should be without this book.
Alayne
On about page 130 I gave up :(
I have only ever given up on one book before in my entire life :(
Far too much concentration on WAR for my liking!!!
I will give it one star as the maps were informative
Emma
A great overview on a massive subject. Would have been good to have an overall timeline to pull the highlights altogether where timescales jump back and forth.
Hollis
If you're looking for a one-volume world history book to replace your collection, this is the one.
Zuwl
Informative book with cheap price? Bless my soul!! :D
Flowquietly
excellent read so far - recommend to everyone
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Tom
Tom added it
Feb 21, 2015
Abhishek Prakash
Abhishek Prakash marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Guzmán Machi macías
Guzmán Machi macías marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Artur Vieira
Artur Vieira marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Kate Meng
Kate Meng marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lewis
Lewis is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2015
Adam White
Adam White is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Joshua Alva
Joshua Alva marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Cian
Cian marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Volume A: Literature to 1820
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Xanadu
  • Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Ceasar to the Last Emperor
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History
  • The War of the Running Dogs: How Malaya Defeated the Communist Guerrillas 1948-1960
  • A Concise History of the Middle East
  • The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English
  • Hitler's Spy Chief: The William Canaris Mystery
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • Auschwitz: A History
  • The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • The Secret History of MI6
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • Malaysian Maverick: Mahathir Mohamad in Turbulent Times
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
  • The Birth of the West: Rome, Germany, France, and the Creation of Europe in the Tenth Century
Richard James Overy is a British historian who has published extensively on the history of World War II and the Third Reich.
More about Richard Overy...
Russia's War: A History of the Soviet Effort: 1941-1945 Why the Allies Won The Dictators: Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia 1939: Countdown to War The Bombers and the Bombed: Allied Air War Over Europe 1940-1945