Start by marking “A Ghost in the House” as Want to Read:
A Ghost in the House

A Ghost in the House

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Sarah Prescott's family moves from a cramped apartment to her great-aunt's big old house, Sarah thinks that life is perfect—complete with her own beautiful bedroom. But from the moment Aunt Margaret returns from the nursing home, Sarah begins to feel that something is terribly wrong.

Sarah tries to believe that she's just unhappy about having to spend so much time cari...more
Published July 1st 1995 by Scholastic Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghost in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghost in the House

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Books That Start With the Word A
122nd out of 211 books — 13 voters
Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanDoll Bones by Holly BlackA Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam GidwitzCoraline by Neil Gaiman
Spooky Middle Grade Reads
78th out of 112 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Anita
I read a lot of Betty Ren Wright's books growing up (yes, I liked scary stories) and although I loved the stories, one thing I really didn't like about her books was how mean the adults always were. Not mean, but just so... wrapped up in themselves that they refuse to listen to the kids. In this book, the mother of the main character would rather believe that her daughter is lying and playing mean tricks on a sick old woman than even try to listen to any explanation that may involve the supernat...more
Amber B
This book was good because i rated it 5 stares. It was good because the girl named Sarh had to give up her room for her aunt Margret and then aunt Marget sent in a ghost when she came to live there. It was a bad ghost that had all this stuff against her. Then sarh told the ghost to leave and he did then he came back and started a fire thats how his daughter died and then the ghost went away forever. Then the lived.
Brenda
It's a chiller!!!!

-WARNING: Do not read at night, unless you're on a really good part...
Linda
This is a really cute and spooky story for mid-grade readers. Sarah is really happy when her family moves into the house where her Great Aunt Margaret grew up to have her own bedroom. But when Sarah's dad loses his job the only way they can continue to live in the dream house is if Aunt Margaret leaves the nursing home and comes to live with them. Everybody is agreeable to caring for the old lady except that Sarah has to give up her wonderful bedroom and move into a small storage room. As soon a...more
Amanda
I loved this book!
This book is about a girl that finds this picture in her house. She eventually finds out the picture is evil. She finds some of her grandmothers old diaries.

This was a good book and had some twist plots in it.

I really liked this book I read it in early middle school or late elementary because I had read other books by Betty Ren Wright and I loved her books even then so I bought it and read it. I think that this helped me fall more in love with Betty Ren Wrights books.
Stephanie A.
This is just right for an elementary school spookfest: you move into an old house, and it turns out to be haunted by a vengeful spirit. Maybe you also have a beautiful old painting in there that gets darker and more sinister when you're not looking. Maybe items get hidden and moved around, maybe it eventually goes into full blown poltergeist mode and starts wreaking havoc. I loved the backstory on the ghost, as well as the ultimate resolution.
Kt.
I highly recommend this author and this children's mystery book (along the lines of Nancy Drew) for parents and children (probably girls) of about fourth grade. My daughter read this and wanted to share it with me. I read it in one day. I really loved it. The writing and the characters are both excellent. The story is engaging and intelligent. What better thing to share with your children than books??
Miri
Oct 31, 2013 Miri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Engaging mystery by Betty Ren Wright. Sarah's Aunt Margaret moves in with her family and steals her bedroom and then scary things start to happen and no one believes Sarah. Starts out with small things where you aren't sure if it's a ghost or not and then huge episodes of hauntings! The scary descriptions are just perfect for kids, not too scary but, just enough.
Catherine
The description on Goodreads does not match the book. This is not a babysitter club book.

This story is as scary as Wright's Christina's Ghost. I enjoyed seeing Sarah's character grow and become more thoughtful towards her family. I enjoyed her relationship with Aunt Margaret.

Wright does suspense well. I shouldn't have read this after dark.
Liz
This book was almost as scary as the Dollhouse Murders. Very well-written and spooky! Sarah's family has moved to her great aunt's house. When unexplainable things start to happen her mom won't believe her, and her dad can't know about it, but her great aunt sees it happening and together the two try to stop it.
Magda
I thought I had read this before, but found a completely new and rather entertaining mystery. For some reason it reminds me of Sirens and Spies.
Allayyah Bush
I remember when I read this in 5th grade and I really loved it was really cool and actually really scary!!!!!!
Echo
A teacher read this to my class when I was younger, and I loved it. At that age, I found it to be truly scary stuff.
Tiffany Malcom
What can I say...I was reading it with some fourth graders yesterday and I just couldn't put it down! :)
Sarah Fleming
For teen fiction this book is surprisingly chilling.
Sara Molina
Omg! This book scared me when i was younger!!
Sage (the Mage)
Old 80's book. A good one, though.
Andy Alvarado
Andy Alvarado marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Aleksandra
Aleksandra marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Diala
Diala marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
kennie
kennie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Cara
Cara added it
Sep 27, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School #1)
  • Skinnybones
  • Ghost Cadet
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • The Dark and Deadly Pool
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • Mary Anne's Makeover (The Baby-Sitters Club, #60)
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Burn Notice: The Giveaway (Burn Notice, #3)
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Guide Dog Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #53)
  • I, Amber Brown (Amber Brown, #8)
  • Top Secret
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...
The Dollhouse Murders Christina's Ghost Ghosts Beneath Our Feet (An Apple Paperback) The Ghosts of Mercy Manor Crandalls' Castle