Start by marking “A Ghost in the House” as Want to Read:
A Ghost in the House

A Ghost in the House

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
When Sarah Prescott's family moves from a cramped apartment to her great-aunt's big old house, Sarah thinks that life is perfect—complete with her own beautiful bedroom. But from the moment Aunt Margaret returns from the nursing home, Sarah begins to feel that something is terribly wrong.

Sarah tries to believe that she's just unhappy about having to spend so much time cari
Published July 1st 1995 by Scholastic Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghost in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghost in the House

Time for Andrew by Mary Downing HahnWelcome to Dead House by R.L. StineThe Dark-Thirty by Patricia C. McKissackStonewords by Pam ConradThe China Garden by Liz Berry
Children's Ghost Stories of the 1990s
10th out of 82 books — 6 voters
The Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnDeep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing HahnThe Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing HahnThe Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn
Middle Grade Ghost Stories
66th out of 116 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristine Hansen
Nov 12, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-paranormal
This book reminds of me why I started reading books by Betty Ren Wright in the first place. The spooky stuff is enough to become more than a little tense as I'm reading. The build-up comes to a terrifying climax where you wonder if anyone is going to get out alive. This is the kind of ghost story I lusted after as a child. It was nice to end out my stack from this author with one of her better books. Haunted house, complicated family relationships, a lot of good honest emotion, and a main charac ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 10, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
I used to love this book when I was a kid. A Ghost in the House is an eerie but well-written story with a number of other themes besides just the paranormal.
Anita
Jun 18, 2008 Anita rated it liked it
I read a lot of Betty Ren Wright's books growing up (yes, I liked scary stories) and although I loved the stories, one thing I really didn't like about her books was how mean the adults always were. Not mean, but just so... wrapped up in themselves that they refuse to listen to the kids. In this book, the mother of the main character would rather believe that her daughter is lying and playing mean tricks on a sick old woman than even try to listen to any explanation that may involve the supernat ...more
María Olvera
Dec 03, 2015 María Olvera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Pues yo tomé Un fantasma en la casa de la estantería porque ocupaba un libro publicado en 1993 para un reto de lectura y éste lo cumplía; no puedo verme a mí misma haciéndolo por ningún otro motivo. Y es una lástima, porque aunque es pequeño e infantil, me divertí mucho leyéndolo.
En sus páginas no encontrarán una historia de terror, tampoco un gran misterio o una narración espeluznante. No. Aquí tenemos un librito sencillo, con una narración muy buena y que toma las experiencias de un par de mu
Amber B
Feb 11, 2010 Amber B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This book was good because i rated it 5 stares. It was good because the girl named Sarh had to give up her room for her aunt Margret and then aunt Marget sent in a ghost when she came to live there. It was a bad ghost that had all this stuff against her. Then sarh told the ghost to leave and he did then he came back and started a fire thats how his daughter died and then the ghost went away forever. Then the lived.
Miri
Oct 31, 2013 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Engaging mystery by Betty Ren Wright. Sarah's Aunt Margaret moves in with her family and steals her bedroom and then scary things start to happen and no one believes Sarah. Starts out with small things where you aren't sure if it's a ghost or not and then huge episodes of hauntings! The scary descriptions are just perfect for kids, not too scary but, just enough.
Becerrag
Aug 05, 2015 Becerrag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a fan of horror books when I was a kid. I read all the Goosebumps and some Poe as well. This was the first book that genuinely scared me. It felt chillingly real. In fact, that image of the (SPOILER ALERT) red-haired man in the rocking chair still creeps me out. Wright has a talent for building up suspense and making tension vivid. Years later I still remember the scenes with the dog barking, her having to look around the house for a flashlight... seriously good horror for a kid's book. Pl ...more
Brenda
Jan 16, 2009 Brenda rated it it was amazing
It's a chiller!!!!

-WARNING: Do not read at night, unless you're on a really good part...
Linda
Jun 18, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
This is a really cute and spooky story for mid-grade readers. Sarah is really happy when her family moves into the house where her Great Aunt Margaret grew up to have her own bedroom. But when Sarah's dad loses his job the only way they can continue to live in the dream house is if Aunt Margaret leaves the nursing home and comes to live with them. Everybody is agreeable to caring for the old lady except that Sarah has to give up her wonderful bedroom and move into a small storage room. As soon a ...more
Hayes the Haute Librarian
I thought I would revisit one of my favorite juvenile authors, Betty Ren Wright, and read a couple books of hers that slipped past me in elementary/middle school.

I should have left this one slipped away.

Reading "The Dollhouse Murders" first ruined me for other BRW books.
SparklingRuby20
Feb 25, 2016 SparklingRuby20 added it
Recommends it for: Fans of Ghost stories
Recommended to SparklingRuby20 by: The front cover is eye-catching
I read this a few years ago. Betty Ren Wright is an excellent author and writer of the supernatural element. Not sure if that last sentence made much sense, but all well.
Natasha
Grade/interest level:10
Reading level: 120
Genre: Fiction
Main Characters:The girl that is mean
Setting: At her house
POV: First person
Jenn
Feb 05, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it
This was a fast easy read. How the author described the haunting and what happened to Sarah and Aunt Margaret were pretty good. At times I got the chills.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q3 = A good story with some faults, P3 = A booktalk on this title will excite most people’s interest
Linda
Oct 26, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I dearly love this book....it is so fantastic...I give this book 5/5 Stars. I got this book from my Local Library.
Felicia
It took to long to get to the mystery. The build-up wasn't tense, it was boring.
Amanda
Mar 28, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
This book is about a girl that finds this picture in her house. She eventually finds out the picture is evil. She finds some of her grandmothers old diaries.

This was a good book and had some twist plots in it.

I really liked this book I read it in early middle school or late elementary because I had read other books by Betty Ren Wright and I loved her books even then so I bought it and read it. I think that this helped me fall more in love with Betty Ren Wrights books.
Stephanie A.
Mar 11, 2013 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
This is just right for an elementary school spookfest: you move into an old house, and it turns out to be haunted by a vengeful spirit. Maybe you also have a beautiful old painting in there that gets darker and more sinister when you're not looking. Maybe items get hidden and moved around, maybe it eventually goes into full blown poltergeist mode and starts wreaking havoc. I loved the backstory on the ghost, as well as the ultimate resolution.
Kt.
Jun 18, 2008 Kt. rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this author and this children's mystery book (along the lines of Nancy Drew) for parents and children (probably girls) of about fourth grade. My daughter read this and wanted to share it with me. I read it in one day. I really loved it. The writing and the characters are both excellent. The story is engaging and intelligent. What better thing to share with your children than books??
Liz
Oct 12, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
This book was almost as scary as the Dollhouse Murders. Very well-written and spooky! Sarah's family has moved to her great aunt's house. When unexplainable things start to happen her mom won't believe her, and her dad can't know about it, but her great aunt sees it happening and together the two try to stop it.
Catherine
Oct 20, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This story is as scary as Wright's Christina's Ghost. I enjoyed seeing Sarah's character grow and become more thoughtful towards her family. I enjoyed her relationship with Aunt Margaret.

Wright does suspense well. I shouldn't have read this after dark.
Magda
Oct 25, 2007 Magda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, childrens
I thought I had read this before, but found a completely new and rather entertaining mystery. For some reason it reminds me of Sirens and Spies.
Allayyah Bush
Nov 03, 2012 Allayyah Bush rated it really liked it
I remember when I read this in 5th grade and I really loved it was really cool and actually really scary!!!!!!
Echo
Jan 02, 2010 Echo rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A teacher read this to my class when I was younger, and I loved it. At that age, I found it to be truly scary stuff.
Tiffany Malcom
Apr 17, 2013 Tiffany Malcom rated it liked it
What can I say...I was reading it with some fourth graders yesterday and I just couldn't put it down! :)
Sarah Fleming
Apr 11, 2013 Sarah Fleming rated it really liked it
For teen fiction this book is surprisingly chilling.
Sara Molina
Jul 13, 2010 Sara Molina rated it really liked it
Omg! This book scared me when i was younger!!
Jocelyn Stark
Jocelyn Stark marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • The Haunting (House on Cherry Street, #1)
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • The Enchanted Attic (Shivers, #1)
  • The Secret of the Magic Pen (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller #8)
  • Ghost Cat
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School #1)
  • Mary Anne and the Little Princess (The Baby-Sitters Club, #102)
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Our Sixth-Grade Sugar Babies
  • Ghost Cadet
  • Goody Hall
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...