Start by marking “Christina's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Christina's Ghost

Christina's Ghost

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,855 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
After Grandma gets sick, Christina must spend lonely days with her grumpy Uncle Ralph in a spooky, isolated Victorian mansion, but things change when she meets the ghost of a little boy, who may be linked to a thirty-year-old murder.
Published October 1st 1987 by Scholastic (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Christina's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christina's Ghost

Risa Duenas
Jun 26, 2012 Risa Duenas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I read this book in the third grade and loved it. When I got older I wanted to read it again and could never find it. I went to different library's and thrift stores looking for it. When I was 19yrs old my mom called me up asking if I wanted to follow her to the new thrift store that opened up; I almost didn't go cuz I was sick. I'm so glad I did cuz I found it. OMG i jumped up and down and screamed a very high pitched scream i never thought i could do. Lol. my mom said she never seen me so happ ...more
Margie
Jun 02, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
Scary! I read this as an adult twenty years ago and it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!
Amy
Aug 26, 2013 Amy added it
Shelves: 2013, j-paranormal
Seemed like the basic plot structure was similar to "Dollhouse Murders," at least in terms of the haunting: murder takes place in creepy old house; strange things start happening to young female protagonist; YFP looks up old newspaper articles about the murders and connects that info with the spooky goings-on; paranormal activity comes to a terrifying head that makes a believer out of skeptical adult caregiver; murders are solved by finding piece of long-hidden physical evidence. Truly, both boo ...more
Lisa
Mar 21, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
I am 11 years old again, and it is fabulous.
80s Scholastic books are just unbeatable.
Julie Decker
Mar 08, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
Christina is a tomboy who spends some time with her grouchy uncle who wishes she was more feminine. But despite their differences, these two have to work together to deal with some creepy ghosts. Christina's uncle being irritated with her because of his personal beliefs about how girls should act was a nice change from how adults are just mean for no real reason in children's books sometimes. I also found it refreshing that Christina, after being visited by a benevolent ghost and a terrifying on ...more
Yennie
Mar 05, 2014 Yennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
Thanks, Goodreads, for reminding me that this book exists. This was probably my favorite book in third or fourth grade (up until I discovered The Phantom Tollbooth, which is still one of my all-time favorite books) and probably the first story to scare me. I lent it to my fourth grade best friend (whose name was Tina), and she gave it back to me drawn on and a bit mangled. I never lent her anything again.
Linda Hargis
Jun 01, 2015 Linda Hargis rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was very young and loved it .
Wendi (BrokenBinding)
Jul 21, 2015 Wendi (BrokenBinding) rated it it was amazing
I read Christina's ghost nearly 30 years ago. I was 7 years old and found the book utterly terrifying but incredibly compelling. I had to repeatedly stop reading because I was terrified...but would have to pick it up again because I HAD to know what happened next. This book was the genesis of a life long love of books that chilled me to my toes, books you read in a well lit room, books that echo in your nightmares but you are drawn back to over and over again. I wouldn't recommend this for a tim ...more
Eden
Jun 11, 2012 Eden rated it really liked it
Christina "Chris" has to stay with her uncle Ralph while her grandmother is in the hospital. Neither are very happy about it, as Chris doesn't like being around Ralph since he is crabby, and Ralph doesn't much like tomboys.

She and her Uncle stay at an old house and on the very first day there, Chris sees a little boy. Soon she realizes that he is a ghost and wants to find out why he is there.

I really like Chris. She's a neat character and her Uncle ends up not being so bad after later in the boo
Samantha O
Mar 08, 2011 Samantha O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book called Christina's Ghost. I completely loved the book! Out of a 1-10 I would most definitely give it a 9! I liked this book because it was full of mystery; it has to do with a murder that happened 30 years ago. Christina has to spend the summer with her uncle Ralph. They are both not looking forward to it since they both dislike each other. Christina sees a small figure of a boy and thinks it’s a ghost, she tells her Uncle Ralph which doesn’t believe it. My favo ...more
Swankivy
Apr 23, 2013 Swankivy rated it liked it
This was a little scary for me as a kid because I didn't like tales of unknown spooky things coming after children. I didn't mind the idea of friendly ghosts--and there was one of those in this book too, even though it was a little creepy because it clearly wanted something and couldn't explain--but when the protagonist, Christina, is confronted with clearly malevolent presences in her Uncle Ralph's house, I definitely felt her terror. One thing I liked about the book was that even though her un ...more
Maeve Mc Hugh
Sep 08, 2013 Maeve Mc Hugh rated it it was amazing
A lot of my own childhood books came from uncles and aunts in America, and this book was one of my favourites.

Christina, or Chris (she's a bit of a tomboy), is forced to spend the summer with her introverted and slightly grumpy Uncle Ralph when her grandmother is taken ill. As Ralph is a writer he takes her to a house in the countryside where he can work in peace. Chris is a little lonely to say the least as Ralph is unaccustomed to children, and especially tomboys!!

Christina feels less lonely w
Kristine Hansen
Nov 09, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
The very fact that this book could creep me out has me giving it five stars. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that these ghost stories by Betty Ren Wright, which are written for children, can be creepy to an adult.

Either way, the setup works. Girl staying with grumpy uncle at creepy lake house for the summer, miles from another living human being. But with two ghosts right in the house. The first ghost is a child, kind of sweet and sad. The second...is pure evil. This is the
Emily Von pfahl
I read this so long ago, and I can't remember who did it or why, but I do remember being terrified during the climactic conclusion, and the heartbreaking detail of how the little boy's bed got made up once his murder was solved.
Becky Ford
Jun 28, 2015 Becky Ford rated it really liked it
This was a fun re-read. I was in elementary school the first time I read this book, and it is the reason I love reading ghost stories as an adult. It was a fun trip down memory lane. It is just as spooky as I remember it!!!
Destiny Gomez
Dec 25, 2014 Destiny Gomez rated it really liked it
Amy C
Oct 03, 2014 Amy C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good as I remember it being when I was 10. For a children's book it is a fun little ghost story. Highly recommend it those brave young souls.
Y
Things get...wrapped up rather quickly, like Ms. Wright became bored of the mystery part half-way through.
Spinning Jenny BB
This was one of my favourite books as a kid! Would love to read it again to see if it "hold up!"
K Gale
Mar 05, 2016 K Gale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was kinda spooky. I did not like the uncle at all.
Anna Speckin
Sep 10, 2015 Anna Speckin rated it it was ok
I would totally give this to someone who loves fiction books like this one!
Melissa
Dec 28, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
I understand why my daughter loved Betty Ren Wright! Exciting book!
Jonathan
This is a great beginning mystery for a young girl to start with.
Carrie Dalby
Apr 06, 2014 Carrie Dalby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best ghost stories from my childhood. Had to reread it.
Maria Thomas
Aug 17, 2015 Maria Thomas rated it it was amazing
Read this more than once when I was younger. Love it!
Rosalie
Jan 16, 2013 Rosalie rated it really liked it
Christina’s Ghost is a short read but an enjoyable one. The characters are rather likeable (or at least they are by the end) and there aren’t many, which make it all that better.
The story is simple but effective. The slow build to the haunting and resolution are perfect. The pacing makes it spread out without being to slow or drawn out.

Christina does seem to do more than the average 10 yr olds but then again I don’t know many 10 yr olds anymore.

If you’re looking for a little chill in a pleasa
Don Gubler
Mar 30, 2014 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Okay, interesting and engaging.
Teresa
Jan 25, 2016 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, mystery
Good, quick ghost story.
Tracy
Jan 01, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of betty ren wright or children's ghost stories
Earline
A fun spooky ghost story that I wish I had read as a kid. Have to suspend disbelief for the setup, but how else is a tween going to stay in a mysterious house in the middle of nowhere with very little supervision? Overall a fun eerie mystery with a strong female character, what's not to like?

This is the first book I've read by Betty Ren Wright and am interested in checking out The Dollhouse Murders. Really wish I had discovered her work 20 years ago!
  • Ghost Cat
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • Wait Till Helen Comes
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Horror at the Haunted House
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #3)
  • The Ghosts
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories
  • The Beast
  • The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine
  • The Cybil War
  • Afternoon of the Elves
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
Betty Ren Wright is an author of children's fiction including The Dollhouse Murders, The Ghosts Of Mercy Manor and A Ghost in The House among others.

She was born June 15, 1927 in the U.S. and she is currently working on her 26th novel. Ms. Wright lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband, George Frederiksen, a painter.
More about Betty Ren Wright...