The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)

The Gypsy Game (Game #2)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  943 ratings  ·  69 reviews
The kids from The Egypt Game are back. What game will they play next? The answer is Gypsies. While April plunges in with her usual enthusiasm, the more Melanie learns, the more something seems to be holding her back. But it's Toby who adds a really new wrinkle when he announces that he himself is a bona fide Gypsy. Plus he can get them some of his grandmother's things to u...more
Published September 8th 1998 by Yearling (first published February 10th 1997)

Gale
Actually the story is not as grim as the review title implies, but one is reminded of the song, "Gypsies, tramps and thieves."
Anyway, soon afer the Egypt Game has concluded the multi-ethnic gang is back, but things are deteriorating in Toby's home and soon he goes missing. Say, was he just pulling the kids' legs about his Gypsy ancestry or is he really in danger of being kidnapped? I felt the author was pulling one over on us; besides the use of chapter flip-flop, she filled out a skimpy plot wi...more
Ang
I love the Egypt Game and I was amazed when after 15 plus years of rereading it, there has been a sequel all this time. I was VERY disappointed.

Things that irritated me:
-The characters went from being in the 1960s to the 1990s - the dialogue and word choices of the characters were complete different.
-Toby clearly states in the first book that his parents are out at a party - pretty hard to do since according to this sequel, his mother has been dead since he was a baby.
-The characters all of the...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Seems like the title just hangs on the coattails of The Egypt Game as the story isn't focused on the game this time around. It's really quite a different book, and I wonder if it could have been done with all new characters. You have to wonder about the huge gap between the publication of the books. Did the author got so much pressure to write a sequel that she just finally gave in and did this? It's an OK book, but maybe not such a worthy sequel.
Magda
I expect superlative children's fiction from Ms. Snyder, but this one was just okay. Maybe I'm too old for these "games"? I remember being entranced by The Egypt Game.
Doreen
It's hard to follow up something as awesome as The Egypt Game, and to a certain extent, Ms Snyder doesn't try to copy the formula that made that book so well-cherished (by myself, at least.) She does take the familiar characters and put them in a situation that sort of evolves naturally from April's final suggestion in TEG, and while it's good, solid story-telling, the magic of the previous book is missing. The story is still fairly compelling, but I think what this book mostly lacks is the char...more
Sara Thompson
I was a little disapointed with this book. It was obviously written long after the first book so some of the language had changed (the same language that had make the first one a little outdated) but there were also some subtle modernization. The first book was obviously set in time it was written so to have the book go from the 1960's to the 1990's was a little unsettling especially since I read them back to back. Most children may not pick up on these things but as an adult reader it was a lit...more
Maanasa
Not nearly as good as it's predeccessor. The Gypsy Game lacks ingenuity, mystery, enchantment, character development, relationships and all those wonderful things about the first one. A tolerable read, but disappointing.
Cindy
Tnguyen19
The first book "Egypt Game," was incredible. The details where more to the point, and exact. Something that made you want to read more. Sadly this book i can't compare with it. I really hope to like this book, but it didn't attract me as much. Recommend this not to everyone. Since the ending for me was to weak. And the plot lack mystery.
Mary-Beth
Too similar to its predecessor, but without the magic of the first book, this reads too much like an attempt to grasp at the popularity The Egypt Game must have enjoyed.

Because the book has the children helping their friend to run away from home, the book just seems a little absurd. I recommend skipping this one.
Jacob
Having read The Egypt Game in fifth grade, I was excited to read the sequel, and utterly disappointed. Decently written with a plot that occasionally manages to be engaging, but it never fully moves into the realm of the believable, or out of the (admittedly enormous) shadow of its predecessor.
Suzanneli4653
Oct 19, 2008 Suzanneli4653 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
The gypsy game was a good book, but it sort of dissapointed me a little. I expected it to be better than The Egypt Game but it wasn't in my opinion. It did continue the adventures of the Egypt Game when the kids created a new game, but it wasn't like anything that I had expected.
Daniella
I was tricked into thinking this would be like The Egypt Game and involve suspenseful, unexplainable events... instead it was just a story. I wanted to relive a bit of the supernatural thrill ZKS's books gave me when I read them as a child, but there wasn't any of that. Oh, well.
Jasmine
Jul 26, 2008 Jasmine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I didn't like this one as much as I liked The Egypt Game. It's much less "game" and much more a story about what happens to Toby. I wouldn't want it to be the same book, but it felt to me a little like the game bit could have played more of a role in the story.
Ginny Tata-Phillips
Kids need to be reading more of Zil's books and less Hairy Snotter. She has been writing meaningful, entertaining books for over 40 years.
Bella
It was good, but people tell me the first is better. (There was a mix up) So I guess if I think this is good, the first will be even better! WARNING: THE REST OF THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

So here are these kids who have been playing a "Egyptian game" forever. Then the book takes a big turn. In just a few pages! This in my point of view is not only unrealistic, but also crazy! What kid takes such a turn like that unless forced too? If you have kids, think of how long it took those children to...more
Leah Madsen
I think she waited to long to write a sequel. It was awful.
Ariel
Mar 24, 2009 Ariel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mg
This is the sequel to the incomparable "Egypt Game" by the same author, in which a diverse gang of kids recreates its own version of ancient Egypt in an empty lot. My daughter and I listened to it recently on audio and she was so taken with it that she begged me to get the sequel, which isn't available on audio for good reason. In this one, they switch to the subject of gypsies and it turns out that one of the kids is part gypsy. He runs away from home and stays in the lot with a giant dog. The...more
Pandora
Picked this up after putting Les Mes aside. The story picks up after The Egypt Game. Tired of the Egypt Game the children decide to play to try a Gypsy Game. Problems arise when Meline realizes the sad truth of the Gypsy story and Toby who claims to be gypsy is in the middle of a tug of war with his family.

The book offers good insight into the truth about gypsy and homeless people. It is also offers good tension and suspense as the children try to figuare what is really going on with Toby. The...more
Simone Sylvester
Um.. It was ok I guess, not really one of my favorites, but I appreciate the writing style and where the whole series was going. I didn't like the confusion, many times I thought, 'Well just do ____ already!!!' and 'Ugh... I know this is how ____ is shaping up to be, but throw something I didn't see coming in there!' So maybe this is just one of those, 'You-didn't-read-the-first-one,-and-now-you're-off-balance,' things. Anyway besides that, credit where credit is due, the book had an interesting...more
Heather
I was a little dissapointed in this book. It was good, but not near as good as The Egypt Game though. It was more about on of the characters and less about the Gypsy Game. It had a good mystery and there was also a good humor to it.
Anna
Suprisingly good for modern literature.It is a sequel The Egypt Game.I`d have to say The Egypt Game was a bit better.
Leslie Allsop
Really good for a children's book. One of my favorites as a child.
Sharon
I read "The Egypt Game" as a young girl (and am re-reading it right now, just for fun), and so I was delighted to learn about this sequel. "The Gypsy Game" sees the same group of youngsters getting together in the storage yard, this time to learn about gypsies.

All of the kids are surprised to learn that their friend Toby is of Rom descent, and he promises to tell them all about it.

But then he disappears.

As the kids unravel the mystery of Toby's whereabouts, they learn some valuable lessons about...more
Sebastian
This is the sequel to Zilpha Keatley Synder's The Egypt Game. It picks up right where the last one ended. The kids have decided to play gypsies now. They begin by researching and finding out as much as they can about gypsies so that they can play as accurately as possible. They soon find out that one of them may have something else going on in their lives.
It is another good book that you can connect to children that have great imaginations. You can also tie in history lessons that explore more a...more
Elizabeth
I was really nervous about this book 'cause hi, the Roma are a real living people, but the book actually does a good job of respecting that, and even more than The Egypt Game the book is more about the characters than the Game.

As the plot developed I was worried about storylines of misunderstandings and hiding information from people and such like, but the book does a good job of keeping the kids believable but not doing an excess of that sort of thing.
Anisha
The Gypse Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder is an amazing book about a gang of friends start a game about pretending to be Gypsies when all of a sudden when one of the friends, known as Toby goes missing. They all go in search of him and find very interesting and sad facts of his family and himself. READ this book to find out what happens to Toby and how the gang of friends help him solve his problems!
Jordan Funke
Oh this book was so bad. There is nothing unique about it. It is also incredibly contrived, including characters from every ethnicity she could fit in, and making them all be friends. And it's a little weird to write about playing at being gypsies and trivializing the culture. I couldn't even finish this book.
Mohammad
This is the sequel to the very good "Egypt Game". In this book the old gang comes back and start another game, different than the Egyptians from their last book. This time they start playing as gypsies. And as usual they go on many adventures together and stumble upon something strange.
mom2wah

A lot quicker paced than the first book.
I liked it a lot more.
The new game is a gypsy game or is it.
One of the players runs away from home berceuse he thinks grandparents are going to adopt him
How does that play in and what happens to him during his travels
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • The Unknowns: A Mystery
  • Into the Dream
  • The Mystery of Misty Canyon (Nancy Drew, #86)
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
  • What the Witch Left
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)
  • The Fire at Mary Anne's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #131)
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game", "The Headless Cupid" and "The Witches of Worm", Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies", was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for younge...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...
The Egypt Game (Game, #1) The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1) The Velvet Room The Witches of Worm The Changeling