Start by marking “Libby on Wednesday” as Want to Read:
Libby on Wednesday

Libby on Wednesday

Libby is sent to public school to be "socialized" after years of being educated at home."An honest, forthright picture of these classmates-tumed-friends who come to accept their difficulties and to care about each other...an absorbing story, filled with real young people and genuine concerns."-- "School Library Journal," starred review.

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults, A
Published June 1st 1992 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Libby on Wednesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Libby on Wednesday

Hanah
Dec 05, 2014 Hanah rated it liked it
Katie
Jul 25, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
This book is charming in a way that I remember a lot of YA novels being. A rag tag group of kids become friends! The main character lives in a run down mansion and has an awesome treehouse!

I think reading it as an adult has let me definitely see more that I missed - the un-related adult male friend of the father who lives with them (so subtext that even as an adult I question is he, isn't he), the coping mechanisms, invisible disabilities.

However, it's not to say the novel doesn't have some pret
Grace
May 11, 2009 Grace rated it liked it
Libby has always been schooled by her quirky family. But now, her mother is forcing to attend school and be "socialized". She quickly decides that she absolutely despises Morrison Middle School. To make matters worse, she has to join a writing club that meets ever single Wednesday. The group members are very different from one another. There is a bully, a boy with a disease, a girl obessed with punk and detective stories and a stereotypical cheerleader. Libby doesn't ever think she will be frien ...more
Marie
Aug 20, 2015 Marie rated it it was ok
This book is so strange.

I like Libby. I think she's preconcious, believable, studious, and relatable. I love the characterization of her family (except her mom sounds awful and obnoxious) and descriptions of her house.

I'm not sure why people say this book is "predictable." For me, the ending is disturbing and probably the worst, most boding ending I've ever encountered in a YA novel.

It's also a little juvenile in its plot. And then they went to meetings! And then she came over to her house! An
Josephine
Nov 07, 2013 Josephine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I love Zilpha Keatley Snyder's writing--she manages complexity without writing over the kids heads (this based on my reading them when I was the intended age group, not now as an adult).

This one left me feeling like I'd read a novelization of one of those ghastly "after school specials" that seemed like a cut-rate Disney theatrical release.

There was hypertokenism, in a late-eighties Marin sort of way: one of the kids has a mild case of cerebral palsy, just enough to make obvious that there's som
NebraskaIcebergs
Nov 26, 2011 NebraskaIcebergs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Libby McCall has been home schooled. Now, at eleven, Libby is in public school for the first time because her mother thinks she needs to be “socialized”. Being precocious, Libby is placed in eighth grade, a grade where even so-called normal students are often subject to ridicule. Libby doesn’t know how much contact she can take with her peers, who make fun of her because she is small and smart. When she wins the prize of a weekly writing workshop with four other students, rather than risk more r ...more
Eavan
May 20, 2014 Eavan rated it liked it
I read this book a long time ago, but I remember liking it. Libby had what seemed like an idyllic private life: a rich imagination, big beautiful house, a treehouse, loving and intellectual parents. She struggled at school in ways I could identify with. The other children were well-drawn enough that they seemed like people. It also shared some pretty strong lessons in writing and peer review that have stuck with me.
Catherine
Feb 26, 2015 Catherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
K.L. Pickett
Jun 18, 2015 K.L. Pickett rated it it was amazing
Zilpha Keatley Snyder has always been one of my favorite authors.
Carrie
Oct 01, 2014 Carrie rated it liked it
Cute but a bit predictable, at least by today's standards.
Kate Marie
Apr 02, 2015 Kate Marie rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a child.
Susan
Mar 26, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed this book about an 11-year-old girl who lives in a rundown castle with her strange family--father, grandma, great-aunt, and a man who is no relation. After being home schooled for six years, her mother (who lives in New York), decides Libby must go to school and become "socialized." So she does, and she hates it. The kids all make fun of her and make her life miserable. But, in the end, she makes some good friends, and even saves a boy's life.
Penny
Apr 12, 2007 Penny rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite kids books of all time.

Libby is a gifted student who has to adjust to being in a regular school after being home-schooled for a long time. At first she expects to be miserable, but things improve when she is placed in a Wednesday afternoon writers' group with an odd assortment of other gifted nerds.

I don't want to give away any of the plot, but I will say that Libby is delightful and her new friends seem real despite their quirkiness.
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
What a delightful read!
Karlie Nyte
Dec 08, 2013 Karlie Nyte rated it liked it
Granted, having never read this book as a kid, I am not nostalgically tied to this book at all. Still, I did enjoy reading this story. It was heart warming. Sickeningly so. I was far more intrigued by the McCall home and the lord generations living there, rather than the kids or anything that they had to experience. Now that I have seen the inside of this house, give me more about it, and the eldest author McCall!
Cori
Jan 04, 2009 Cori rated it really liked it
I found this author in 7th grade. I read everything she wrote. I love just about all of it. This one is more realistic ficiton than the others, but I've reread it as adult at least twice. If you like young adult books and have the occasional flair for fantasy (Black and Blue Magic, The Velvet Room, and one series about tiny tree people . . . ), find a book of hers that sounds interesting.
Kate
Aug 09, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember the dedication in this book, for all the readers who wrote to me saying, I write too. It's about a girl from a dysfunctional family who writes, and all the interesting people she becomes friends with in her writing group. I've wanted to be a writer since 8th grade, when I read this book. My copy's cover was different, with a purple border and a much better picture of Libby...
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
My daughter just read this book so I thought I'd pick it up and see how it went. I really quite enjoyed it. It had some good life lessons about how we perceive others and the hidden motives for their actions that we may not (especially as children) recognize. Fairly realistic, interesting characters, and a good description of the navigation of the rocky waters of childhood friendships.
Emily V
Oct 17, 2012 Emily V rated it liked it
Libby has to go to public school. She hates it and tells her family lies. Then she gets awarded for winning the writing contest at Morrison Middle School and gets to be in a club called the FFW. The people in the FFW are very interesting and all have their own personalities. This book is pretty good although very slow at times.
Emily
Oct 23, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring writers--adults or children
a childhood favorite about a misfit girl who comes from a family of eccentrics and lives in an old dilapidated mansion. she is asked to join a writing club at her school, composed of other misfits (who represent different high school characters).
a literary breakfast club of sorts, but better.
Jessica
Sep 25, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
chicken soup for the precocious girl's soul. libby lives at a crumbling mansion with a bunch of eccentrics and her hobby is making museum-like exhibits of stuff from a particular period (the '30s are her favorite) and no one at school likes her ... until they do!
Maria
Nov 13, 2010 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-n-z
Not my very favorite but not my least favorite either. Nice exploration of feeling like a social outcast particularly as it relates to family of origin. Nothing terribly new, but a nice read.
Erin
I also read this one years ago. I do not remember much about about this book. I know she was a writer. I was intrigued by the club mentality and the tree house.
Aug 20, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
The first half of the book starts out really slow but it has a good ending and its a good book to use for teaching friendship.
April
Dec 05, 2009 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think every school age kid should read this. Great story about getting along with people that are different than you.
Lynne
Aug 18, 2011 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Not awful, but not amazing. I liked it, but wouldn't read it again. I definitely like The Velvet Room better.
Crystal
Apr 23, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
I remember loving this when I was younger, I think mostly because I coveted her house and her tree house.
Caitlinleah
Feb 27, 2010 Caitlinleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
my first introduction to unschooling, way before i ever did. it's awesome. i want her treehouse.
Sep 27, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A ZKS I've not read - yay!

I'm a big fan, but this was just....blah.
Ilianne
Jan 12, 2009 Ilianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics-of-mine
One of the all time kids books
  • King Stork
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Wishes, Kisses, and Pigs
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • The Tripods Boxed Set of 4 (The Tripods, #1-4)
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • The Bears' House
  • Sharing Susan
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for young ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...