Start by marking “Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets” as Want to Read:
Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets

Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets

If chefs are the new rock stars, Anne wants you to rock in your own kitchen!

For Anne Burrell, a classically trained chef and host of Food Network’s Secrets of a Restaurant Chef (where she shares impressive recipes and smart techniques that anyone can master), and Worst Cooks in America (the show that transforms hopeless home cooks), being a rock star in the kitchen means
Published October 4th 2011 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cook Like a Rock Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook Like a Rock Star

Sophia
Oct 13, 2011 Sophia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been watching Anne Burrell on the Food Network since her first season of Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and enjoy watching her as co-host of Worst Cooks in America and as Mario Batali's Sous Chef on Iron Chef America. The recipes in this cookbook look delicious and Chef Anne Burrell breaks things down to simplicity so the home cook is comfortable making these dishes no matter the level of cooking expertise. Chef Anne's vibrant and colorful personality is captured perfectly in this cookbook ...more
Liz De Coster
Nov 01, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies, food
Honestly, I couldn't see the recipes past the grating tone of the writing. It was cringe-inducingly cheesy, and for the most part added nothing to the recipes. Why have an abbreviation for "Reduce to Simmer" if you're going to spell it out every time anyway? Though with the number of typos elsewhere in the book, maybe this was just another example?
Lexie
Oct 31, 2011 Lexie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this a five stars not because I have read it, because my sister, who loves Anne Burrell like no other, wanted me to. She does not have a Goodreads account.
So here you go, Shira. Are you happy?
Bookworm LLC
Not my favorite cookbook. The recipes are to fancy for everyday. Maybe for a special dinner or something. Good directions but glad I got it from the library instead of buying it.
Sally
Apr 22, 2012 Sally marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Saw Anne do a cooking demo at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books (April 2012). I met her and she autographed my book!!!!!!
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover, at least not in this case]

What I didn't like was the title (because I still don't get it) and her posed photographs.

I what I liked was most everything else.....

Piccolini: Mortadella pate, Zucchini/parm fritters, Figs stuffed gorgonzola & walnuts, Peperonata w/ goat cheese, Polpettini, & Cipolline (mini onion) tempura

Firsts: Calamari noodles w/ fingerling potatoes; Ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms; Grilled sea scallops w/ watermel
Pam Camel
This book not only gives you the recipes but idiot proof cooking directions in the recipe. I only gave this book 3 stars because while the directions were very easy to follow I would not make 90% of the items in this book.
I did try two recipes though, Truffle Deviled eggs and Mac and Cheese.I almost never follow a recipe to the t we substitute out things we will not eat and replace with things we will.
TRUFFLE DEVILED EGGS:
First off lets be honest I left the truffle oil out so I followed the di
Casey Haven
Nov 15, 2011 Casey Haven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been cooking for 30 plus years and I don’t buy cookbooks anymore because quite frankly, I either already know how to do things or I research it on the Internet. I pre-order this one however, because Ann Burrell really does rock the kitchen! “Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef” is one of my favorite cooking shows. Many of the recipes in this book are directly from the show. I have made and loved about half of them already. Anne Burrell always sheds new light on things I thought I already knew! B ...more
Rachel
Jan 03, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched her interview with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, and I liked her before that after watching her cooking show on Food Network. Her cookbook is not conceited like other major chefs, and she doesn't talk down to you like you're an idiot. I knew that she worked with Mario Batali (he wrote her Forward for this book) but I never knew that she had trained in Tuscany. As a result of this, most of her recipes have an Italian slant. I like who she divided the recipes into traditional Italian di ...more
Katherine
HAHA!! Please tell me why bother make an acronym (WBMAA) when you're just going to spell it out anyway??! IE, "BTB" (bring to a boil) and "RTS" (reduce to simmer). EVERY SINGLE TIME (EST)!!

I can't stand Anne Burrell. But when I started flipping through this cookbook, I decided that I would maybe try some of the recipes in this book - they all looked mostly easy and tasty. Plus, she had a picture of the food for nearly every recipe in the book, which is a total sell for me.
The other thing is...
Cameron
Aug 18, 2012 Cameron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The past fagioli recipe, which I followed exactly, is so bad that I threw the entire thing out. The liquid to beans ratio is completely wrong. I was a huge fan of Anne and really really looking forward to this book. Based on how bad this turned out, I'm going to throw the book in the garbage on top of pile of crap that the recipe turned out. The book sounds great, and reads just like Anne, which makes the betrayal with this POS recipe even worse. Don't buy this book. Don't read this book. And, m ...more
Kristen
Was hoping for more tips but it's a cook book.
Kaylee Messman
I was first introduced to Anne Burrell while watching her show "Worst Cooks in America." She has such a bold personality! Then I stumbled across her cookbook, and I had to buy it. That same personality comes through in her writing.

She beaks down the recipes in a way that even beginners can understand. The other thing that I really liked is that she gives a reason for why we should do something a certain way. I like knowing why I should be doing something.

Great cookbook!
Sue
Dec 20, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I stated in a review elsewhere, I really like this book, and love hearing Anne's "voice" as I read through the recipes. However, I've found a few editing errors, and though they are recognizable and easily interpreted properly, they bother me. I don't like to find editing errors in recipes - it makes me distrust the others. Despite that, this is a fun and encouraging cookbook that reads like lunch with a good friend.
Johnann Thompson
This has to be one of the best and most entertaining cookbooks to read. Anne breaks down each recipe where it is easy to follow. Plus she adds her humorous and cute persaonality to them. Lets face it Anne will tell you that a step will last a long time and you cannot change it... In fact she will state "Live with It and move on".
Samantha
Oct 05, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: instructional
Five stars because Anne is very entertaining and if you've ever seen her on any of her Food Network shows, you'll be happy to know that the way the instructions are written just like the way she talks, so it feels like you are having a conversation about the recipe. Not everything in the book is something I would make every day, but many of these look yummy and I look forward to trying them!
KP
Sep 17, 2014 KP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, reviewed
Disclaimer: I love Anne Burrell.

That being said, I think that this was a really crisp, easy to follow cookbook with recipes that taste great. There's nothing really setting the world on fire as far as something so new or different, but most of the takes are refreshing and you won't be searching the grocery or specialty store aisles for random ingredients that you will only use once.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
This is a terrific cookbook. It is full of recipes I want to try right now. The thing I like most about cookbooks like this is that they are not only filled with good recipes, but with detailed information about tools, tips and techniques. That and the fact that the author's spirit and passion for cooking and eating come through.
Jenne Kopalek
Jul 07, 2011 Jenne Kopalek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
What I love most about this book is how the recipes are set up for the reader to follow. Anne’s literary voice is just as strong and witty as it is on her shows. The recipes simply shine with dishes such as Killer Mac & Cheese with Bacon, Maple Pumpkin Bread Pudding and Lemon Curd Tart. Definitely add “Cook Like A Rock Star” to your cookbook library.
Pam
Sep 15, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love love LOVE Anne Burrell! This is a fantastic cook book for any starter cook. Anne has filled this book with good recipes and some wonderful ideas on how to make things easier in the kitchen.

I especially love the way that she uses the fancy smancy Chef Lingo and turns it into everyday homecook lingo.

Many thanks to Net Galley and Crown Publishing Group for this ARC.
Roberta
May 22, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reads like Anne Burrell - which is not a bad thing, per se - but apparently "cooking like a rock star" means "classical Italian I would only ever make if I ever had a grown-ups only swanky cocktail party."
Kelly
Jul 06, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
Chef Anne loves bacon! Will I actually cook any of these -- maybe, maybe not. Chef Anne also really loves appetizers - there are two chapters of them. Really? A bit overkill if you ask me. Loved the pictures!
Michelle
Anne Burrell is one of my favorite FN personalities, and a great chef. This book reads like your cool aunt wrote it, and is an easy-to-understand cookbook for those who are not kitchen-types. I have not had time to make anything featured, but all recipes sound and look amazing.
Dana West
Chef Anne uses words that I understand. I have used her recipes at foodnetwork.com and wanted a go-to book on my shelf. I am glad that I purchased this book. I like her story, I like her approach to cooking restaurant quality food at home, and I like how she makes it EASY.
Emily
Jan 21, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!!! Gonna rock my kitchen!!!

A must for every kitchen library!! I love Chef Anne straight to the point and down to earth making everyone a four star cook of their kitchens!!!
Rebekka Moore
Jan 14, 2012 Rebekka Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it!!!!!!!!!! it has many little tips and such to tell you how to start your kitchen and pantry. I just can't wait to get my own place so i can have my own things! I just want to roll up my sleaves and rock out!
BJ
Nov 04, 2011 BJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Burrell is fast becoming one of my favorite chefs on the Food Network. I liked this cookbook. It was not just recipes, but stories about the recipes and tips and very explicit instructions. I may have to get my own copy of this one.
Janelle Lino
Mar 07, 2016 Janelle Lino rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I still have not made anything from this cookbook. The food does not look enticing enough for me to cook. In addition to that, I would not want to come home from work and cook dinner for three to four hours.
Jean Olaughlin
Nov 08, 2011 Jean Olaughlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Anne Burrell and I love this cookbook! Great recipes, I have only made a few but they were awesome!
Maegan Spivey
Apr 06, 2015 Maegan Spivey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning how to truss a chicken is worth the price of the book alone! Love all of her recipes - they are delicious!
  • Bobby Flay's Bar Americain Cookbook
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Italian Grill
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • Old-School Comfort Food: The Way I Learned to Cook
  • Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner
  • Good Eats: The Later Years
  • The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Best Christmas Cookie Recipes: Easy Holiday Cookies 2014
  • Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh
  • Baking with Mary Berry: Cakes, Cookies, Pies and Pastries from the British Queen of Baking