Start by marking “Eyes in the Fishbowl” as Want to Read:
Eyes in the Fishbowl

Eyes in the Fishbowl

Determined to find out what is causing all the weird happenings that are scaring away customers in Alcott-Simpson's Department Store, fourteen-year-old Dion finds a mysterious girl who hides in the store after hours, claiming the others are watching them.
Published June 1st 1988 by Dell Yearling (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes in the Fishbowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes in the Fishbowl

Carrie Norris
Mar 15, 2008 Carrie Norris rated it liked it
Recently returned to me from a friend, the story is not nearly as good as the story of me discarding it.
Dec 23, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently out of print, Eyes in the Fishbowl is likely to be ignored among Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books today. This a great tragedy, for this is one of her most tense and gripping stories: the first-person tale of a teenaged boy who discovers mystery and ghostly secrets in a 1960s department store. The first-person narrative alone distinguishes this one from most of Snyder's work; on top of that, the advanced age range (clearly "young adult" in this instance) allows her to make a few more point ...more
Heather
Jun 04, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-ya
Dion James has been a fan of Alcott-Simpson's, the big department store in the city where he lives, since the time he first saw it, back when he was eight or nine and shining shoes on the sidewalks. The first time he went inside, it made an impression:
After the ordinary winter world outside, dirty gray with a cold wet wind, inside Alcott-Simpson's was like being on a different planet. The warmth was clean and smooth and loaded with something that was too high class to be called a smell. As a ma
Kirsten T
Jul 23, 2015 Kirsten T rated it really liked it
I'm rereading a bunch of middle grade books I loved as a kid, and I can definitely see how the weird illogical logic of this book (totally real world situation with a possible real world solution but TWIST: the actual solution is supernatural.) impacted my child's mind. Can't wait for my holds on the Egypt Game and Headless Cupid to come in.
Myles
Dec 24, 2010 Myles rated it it was ok
Well this was different. I came across this one in a used bookstore and got a little excited because Zilpa Keatley Snyder was one of my favorite authors growing up and I'd never heard of this one.

This one comes early in her career, after Black and Blue Magic, but before her golden streak of The Changeling, The Egypt Game and The Headless Cupid where she really shows off her talent of getting inside troubled adolescence.

Eyes in the Fishbowl is an artifact, quite timely, set in a grand old depart
Er Kuan
Dec 27, 2014 Er Kuan rated it really liked it
Fast good read for mystery lover.
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gr 6-9
Recommended to Linda by: Amy
Shelves: middle-school
'Loved this book, but I'm still going to weed it. Original edition and the jacket's long gone - no appealing cover. Plus, now that 6th grade has left our building, I think the last quarter of the book is better for those in middle school than elementary. Started Snyder's The Changeling and really like it. Wonder if I'll weed that one, too.
M.
Feb 28, 2010 M. rated it really liked it
Read this book, original hardcover edition, as a girl. I thought it was magical then. I hope I can find a newer print so I can re-read it. I remember loving the ending.
Kate
Aug 09, 2008 Kate rated it did not like it
Nothing about this story appealed to me.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Wintersong
Wintersong rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Enantiom3r
Enantiom3r rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Allison Magpayo
Allison Magpayo rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
sharon jensen
sharon jensen rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Yabooklover
Yabooklover rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Apr 03, 2016
Catherine Ryan
Catherine Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
Beka
Beka added it
Jan 02, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 30, 2015
LS
LS rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Calista
Calista rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for young ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...