Start by marking “Brother from a Box” as Want to Read:
Brother from a Box

Brother from a Box

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
One new brother—assembly required. From the author of The Last Invisible Boy.

Matt Rambeau is officially a big brother—to a robot! Matt’s super-computer-genius dad is always getting cool tech stuff in the mail, but the latest box Matt opens contains the most impressive thing he’s ever seen: a bionically modified lifeform that looks human and calls Matt “brother” (in French)
Published May 1st 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Lego Robot Ninja
Nov 01, 2012 Lego Robot Ninja rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lego Robot Ninja by: Mira and Luke
Mum: So, how many stars?

LRN: Awesome, car chase scene, fight scene, even a scene where the boy sleeps in his locker. This book is like the superfood of books. Five stars.

Mum: You were just bugging me today about wanting a brother, and I said I'd get you a brother from a box, but I'm not having anything other than robot-kids. How does it work out for the kid here? What's his name?

LRN: Matt is the kid; Norman's the robot.

Mum: Where does Norman come from?

LRN: London. No, wait, England. Somewhere
Sarah Rourke
Apr 14, 2015 Sarah Rourke rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book to read. For the most part, I enjoyed it but it was a little too unreal for me at times. Norman, the robot, shows up at Matthew's house and becomes his robotic sibling. I enjoyed the aspect of a robot trying to fit in to a normal family, and eventually becoming one of them.

This book would be great for students grades 5-6 to read independently. I would especially recommend this book to boys who enjoy action-packed stories that involve spies and artificial intelligenc
Sean Kottke
Jan 03, 2015 Sean Kottke rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2015
This is a lot of fun and would be a great read-aloud to inspire some cross-curricular conversations about robotics and ethics for young readers. Now that "The Imitation Game" has given the Turing Test more widespread recognition beyond the computer science, robotics, cognitive psychology and science fiction communities, this would be a particularly great read to introduce this concept, as it concerns one family's attempt to see if a robot child can pass the test. It would braid well with "A.I." ...more
Angela
Mar 22, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Loved this. .... Matthew is a sixth grader in New York who is presented with his father's tour de force, a robot who looks so lifelike he could be his brother. Matt initially rejects the idea but then becomes intrigued. The robot seems to be able to take on a few human traits and learn from his companions and environment - and of course is very clever, Too clever. He becomes popular at school despite his strange way of talking - explained away by saying he is from France, where Matt's uncle live ...more
Alan
Jul 04, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Matthew Rambeau is a normal enough middle school boy, an only child, living with his parents in an apartment in New York City. One day when he gets home from school his younger "brother" is delivered in a crate, and no this isn't some syfy futuristic story where all children are delivered in a box, but Matthews dad and uncle have invented a one of a kind robot (well, technically it's a artificial, genetically enhanced, cybernetically integrated bionically modified life form) that can think and l ...more
Marsha
The notion of children made from inanimate objects is nothing new; Collodi’s famous creation was only a woodenheaded boy, after all. But the topic here is explored from many different angles. The entrance into the Rambeau family of an android named Norman is deeply unsettling for everyone involved from the angry mother who wasn’t warned of his appearance to the excited “real” brother who becomes a touch ambivalent about the robot’s perfect behavior in school (no one likes a show-off, especially ...more
Lisa Nocita
12 year old Matt arrives home from school one day to find the super waiting outside his apartment door with a large, heavy packing crate. Inside the box is an artificial, genetically enhanced, cybernetically integrated, bionically modified life-form. In other words, a robot brother designed by his tech savvy father and uncle. Matt names him Norman and the escapade begins to see if Norman will be able to pass for human. If he can live for a year without anyone detecting that he is mechanical, his ...more
Amanda Harris
Matt comes home one day to find a big box. Matt decides to open it and inside is his new brother, a robot that he names Norman. At first, there is some adjusting, but once everyone gets to know the fun-loving Norman, he is part of the family. The only downfall? Norman is a highly evolved, technologically advanced computer whose software is wanted badly. By who? Read and find out!

This book was really cute with a touch of Sci-Fi, but not too "techie" and a touch of humor and adventure. I would rec
Ali Badreddine
Jul 14, 2014 Ali Badreddine rated it it was ok
It is simple, but I considered it as a great introduction to reading novels. It is a mixture between stories of childhood, and novels of adolescence and maturity!
Stacey Macedo tortorella
Jan 04, 2015 Stacey Macedo tortorella rated it it was amazing
My 13 year old son hates to read but he throughly enjoyed this book and wants to read it again. This is a rare occurrence. :)
Kaitlyn
May 06, 2016 Kaitlyn rated it liked it
This was a really weird book!!
Nancy
May 27, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Matt’s computer genius father has a big surprise for the family. It’s a robot. It is actually a bionically modified lifeform. It sure looks human and even calls Matt his brother. Matt has to bring his new brother Norman to school with him and pretend he is normal. But Norman is a bit of an attention freak and just wants to show off. He even flirts with the girls. Matt isn’t sure what to think now. But when it seems as if some bad guys are out to steal Norman, Matt must help him.
mandyfujita
Dec 10, 2012 mandyfujita rated it liked it
Matt and his parents have a large parcel delivered to their apartment in New York. Inside is a boy robot that his dad and uncle have been working on. Norman, the robot, is in test mode to see how it would be to live with a real family.

The mother, Connie, is against this idea at first, but Norman wears her down, to the point of being accepted. It is a nice story of maybe one day coming true.
Sharon Lawler
Sep 17, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it liked it
Shelves: a-fiction-middle
Fast paced story, about a boy who is suddenly presented with a robot for a brother, will definitely keep the reader engaged. Hard to classify since it has elements of both adventure and mystery, with the family and school interactions adding a realistic thread to the story. I wouldn't call it science fiction since robots with artificial intelligence have been in development for years.
Kate Schwarz
Jun 05, 2015 Kate Schwarz rated it it was ok
Fine premise--a genius father creates a robot to join the family, giving his boy/narrator a brother--but something in it didn't quite work for me.
Meredith
Apr 28, 2013 Meredith rated it liked it
Fairly fast-paced tale of a boy and his new brother ... who happens to be a robot from France. Trying to get him to fit in at school provides plenty of fish-out-of-water episodes. However, the spy/kidnapping aspect seemed a little rushed, and I'm not sure I buy the resolution. But it's good enough to add to the collection; I know kids will read it.
Elisabeth
Sep 12, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
This was a pretty good read-aloud with my 9 year old book. It had some really funny moments and some touching ones as well. Super big holes in the plot - but I don't think my intended audience member noticed/cared.

I will keep this one in mind for those "must read a science fiction book for my book bingo assignment" kids.
Finn
Aug 31, 2012 Finn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I like how it glosses over humanitarian issues. For example, there are several times in the book where Matt's father was treating Norman exactly as a robot, but Matt was convinced that Norman was something more. My favorite part was when Matt had to prove to Norman that they are brothers.
Roxy
Dec 13, 2013 Roxy rated it liked it
Marci
Jul 13, 2013 Marci rated it liked it
The first couple of chapters were hilarious as Norman, who is a lifelike robot, meets his new brother. Later, the story lost interest for me and was not as exciting as it tried to be.
Faith
Aug 11, 2015 Faith rated it liked it
Perfect for a French beginner! Norman says many French phrases. ;)
Cmdr Bly
May 04, 2015 Cmdr Bly rated it really liked it
It's a fun read it's about a boy who gets a package and it's a robot human.he speaks with a bit of a French tone all in all it's a pretty good book
Victoria
Dec 27, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
Very cute book!
Burbank Library Children's Department
Funny, sweet story of a boy and his new "brother", a French-speaking robot.
Joshua
Jul 31, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-13-read

not my taste despite an interesting premise
February Four
Dec 09, 2013 February Four rated it really liked it
Great book for kids who like robots!
PWRL
Mar 25, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Debra
Debra is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Apryl
Apryl added it
Jun 23, 2016
Jessica Nye
Jessica Nye rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
  • The School for the Insanely Gifted
  • 33 Minutes
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)
  • Plunked
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • The Island of Thieves
  • Precious Bones
  • Stealing Air
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Smells Like Pirates
  • Sway
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • The Awesome Almost 100% True Adventures of Matt & Craz
  • The Detention Club
  • Top Ten Ways to Die (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #8)
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake