Start by marking “Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas” as Want to Read:
Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas

Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  15 reviews
After having lived in Taipei for ten years, Troy Parfitt sets out on an epic journey to test the theory that China is ascending toward a position of global hegemony. The result is whirlwind tour of the Chinese world, one that enlightens, astonishes, and entertains. Parfitt shows us he is the perfect China tour guide: the steward of an intimate knowledge of the nation's his ...more
Unknown Binding, 414 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Western Hemisphere Press (first published June 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Why China Will Never Rule the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why China Will Never Rule the World

Pete Wung
This is an incredibly difficult book to review. On the one hand, it can be read as a travel book, since the author does such a thorough job of documenting his experiences in both China and Taiwan. On the other hand, it is also a stream of conscious reflection on the topic of whether China, and the Chinese are capable of becoming the superpower for the next epoch.
It is made difficult for me to review this because the subject is China, a place where my ancestors came from, and Taiwan, where I was
Jennifer (JC-S)
Sep 06, 2011 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer (JC-S) by:
Shelves: review-books
‘Dragons, after all, do not exist.’

China is currently the second largest economy in the world, and may outstrip the USA (GDP measured in purchasing power parity (PPP) terms) by 2020, according to some economists. In 2008, Goldman Sachs predicted that China would overtake the USA in 2027. In 2003, the prediction was 2041. Clearly, China is becoming more influential, but is it moving towards a position of global hegemony?

Not according to author Troy Parfitt. In ‘Why China Will Never Rule the World
'East is east and west is west And the wrong one I have chose'

The selected title of this review comes from a 1948 song by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans from the film 'The Paleface' (the song goes on to be known as 'Buttons and Bows'). And the Inscrutable East was also address by Rudyard Kipling in his 1889 poem, The Ballad of East and West:

Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East
Troy Parfitt
Apr 04, 2011 Troy Parfitt added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than my first book.
**This copy was obtained as a Free Advanced Reader's Copy.

Why China Will Never Rule the World is an interesting book. Indeed, it can fit into many genres; travel, history, commentary, etc. But I do have to say that to me, this book mainly hit in the history realm. But it's not the boring history you learn in high school, this book was written the way history should be taught. It brings in life experiences and neatly ties them together with history of the area or China as a whole.

Troy Parfitt, af
Troy Parfitt's Why China Will Never Rule the World is a travelogue detailing three trips he made during his decade of teaching English in Taiwan. The first two trips are to the Chinese mainland, and the third trip is a journey through Taiwan. Throughout these trips, he travels to the Potala Palace in Tibet, the Ice Festival in Harbin and most of the major tourist destinations in between. The book is focused on what he sees and experiences as a tourist, though it is interspersed with large dollop ...more
David Marshall
Although I have given this book three stars, it's because I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Troy Parfitt writes about Chinese culture with obvious understanding and I share some of his views about how well any Westerner can feel comfortable when surrounded by the practices supposedly based on Confucianism. That said, I feel the tenor of the book lacks balance. If you are going to discuss history and suggest how this might predispose a country to succeed or fail, I think you owe it to your ...more
It was obvious Mr. Parfitt is knowledgeable about China and not just someone interjecting their thoughts about what’s wrong with the country, but rather explaining the reason why things are the way they are. Or course, this came a little later in the book. First, Mr. Parfitt goes into detail about the country’s culture, history, and national psyche. On the one hand, I liked the detail as it was as though I were in China and could see, touch and smell it. On the other, there was so much detail th ...more
This author was kind enough to mail me a review copy, which I am still in the process of enjoying. It's part novel, part travel essay, part social commentary, and paints what I consider an honest picture of many of the realities of modern-day China. He doesn't fall into the trap of kowtowing to the middle kingdom and treating it's future global dominance as absolute certainty, as seems to be a trend now, but puts the country under a microscope, shares his observations, and lets readers draw thei ...more
Travelogue of visit through China. Funny.
Read the first 50 pages or so, then skipped ahead and read selective parts. I don't think I will get it out from the library again, but I did enjoy the 2 hours I spent reading it. I won't comment on the thesis of the book, but I have to admit that I think his take on China is probably accurate.
William Phenn
You will never have to wonder about China and what it is like ever again. I gave it my highest A+ rating; it is a great book and it is a reading experience that will stay with you for a while.
Steve H
Very well written. Learned a lot about China. He makes his point.Very negative about the people and the country. Need to read more to see if his conclusions are correct.
Peter Christian
Fascinating study of China by a Canadian teacher living in Taiwan. Laden with nuggets, vignettes, lively histories, and sharply rendered, hard-traveled views.
Extremely informative and eye opening!

David marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
JOHN OLOO marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Monta added it
Feb 25, 2015
Ashton Charbonneau
Ashton Charbonneau marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Rattyso is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2015
Andre marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Rod added it
Jul 31, 2014
Dennis marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Adam added it
Jul 01, 2014
  • Twilight in the Forbidden City
  • In Movement There Is Peace
  • I Grew My Boobs in China (Sihpromatum #1)
  • Stop Drifting, Start Rowing: One Woman's Search for Happiness and Meaning Alone on the Pacific
  • Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
  • Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics
  • Forbidden Nation: A History of Taiwan
  • Hammer & Tickle: A History Of Communism Told Through Communist Jokes
  • The Endlands (Volume 2)
  • Jasmine and Fire: A Bittersweet Year in Beirut
  • Ishtah: The Prostitute's Daughter
  • The American Journey of Barack Obama
  • Your Vibrant Heart: Restoring Health, Strength, and Spirit from the Body's Core
  • Chinese Propaganda Posters: From the Collection of Michael Wolf
  • The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America
  • Darkness All Around
  • The 5 Greatest Spankings of All Time
  • Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul: Stories of Adventure, Inspiration and Insight to Celebrate the Spirit of Travel (Chicken Soup for the Soul)