Start by marking “And All Between (Green Sky, #2)” as Want to Read:
And All Between (Green Sky, #2)

And All Between (Green Sky #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Eight-year-old Teera finds herself above the powerful Root that keeps her Erdling community captive underground. The Erdlings are feared and despised by the Kindar people who live in the massive trees above. Raamo and Neric, two young Kindar discover Teera and for reasons of their own decide to keep her hidden, allowing her to live with Raamo's parents and his sister, Pomm ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about And All Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And All Between

Grass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Anubis Gates by Tim PowersThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonBlood Music by Greg Bear
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
254th out of 1,094 books — 1,244 voters
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'EngleThe Dark is Rising by Susan CooperThe Cuckoo Tree by Joan AikenTuck Everlasting by Natalie BabbittDragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
Children's Fantasy of the 1970s
25th out of 129 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

When I read these, I think I read this book first. I feel it's the best of the series.

The Erdlings live below the ground beneath The Root. When the council decides that Teera's pet lapan is to be used for food (living conditions below the root are difficult and food is scarce) Teera runs away and enters the world above the Root.

Astonished by the abundance of greenery and food in this new world, Teera wanders until she is discovered by Raamo and Neric, Ol-zaan priests from the Green-Sky, a commun
Alissa Bach
Eight-year-old Teera finds herself above the powerful Root that keeps her Erdling community captive underground. The Erdlings are feared and despised by the Kindar people who live in the massive trees above. Raamo and Neric, two young Kindar discover Teera and for reasons of their own decide to keep her hidden, allowing her to live with Raamo’s parents and his sister, Pomma. But Teera’s existence does not remain a secret and soon she, Raamo, Neric, and their friends are all in danger.

This book w
The second installment of the Green Sky trilogy does not disappoint. The first half of this book is the second half of the first book told from Teera's point of view. It starts off with her life below the root with the Erdlings and how she ran away with her pet lapan. Most important is her point of view of her relationship and developing friendship with Raamo's sister Pomma.

The second half of the book starts with the abduction of Pomma and Teera. Raamo and his friends are then faced with a diffi
This is the sequel to Below the Root, although it does not begin where that left off. Instead, Teera's story is told from her perspective and that of the other Erdlings. The endpoint of the former book comes about halfway through this one, when the thread of narrative is picked back up from the perspectives of other characters. The players are gearing up to reveal the secret of the Erdlings and attempt to integrate them into Kinda society, but there are still those, such as D'ol Regle who will s ...more
I liked this a little less than Below the Root... it went over a lot of the same plot from a different perspective, which was fine, but it was pretty redundant after a while when I just want to see how it turns out! It did go over some of the philosophy and thinking of the green-sky people, which made me think... could human kind ever evolve past violence? Is Love and Compassion ever truly stronger than the desire for power? Not just for short times, and not just in a few people, but in an entir ...more
For some reason Synder decided to write the same book twice: this one from the perspective of Terra, who lives below the Root, and its sister book Below The Root from the perspective of Raamo, who above the Root in the trees. Until the Celebration finishes off the trilogy.

These stories take place on a alien world where most of the people are peaceful and loving, and live their lives in the towering and massive trees. Due to the low gravity, they all glide from branch to branch using suits with b
More than half of the book just retells what has happened in the previous one - from another perspective, but in a nearly identical way, even with the same lines of dialogue. This takes away a lot from the magic of the book, which otherwise touches a number of important topics.
Oct 26, 2008 Phoebe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
I picked this book up for $1 in the dealers' room at Context in Columbus, OH, last month. Picked it up because I've never heard of this author. The book (#2 of a trology) was published by Tor in 1976. I'm not a big fantasy fan, but was curious about the author. It's a well done, simple fantasy about people(?) -- not sure if they're humans or fairies or what -- whose tribe got splintered, part of it repressed and forced to live under the roots of the World Tree. The main character is a little gir ...more
Sep 08, 2007 Ellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens
Snyder's Below the Root trilogy is a nice introduction to fantasy and science fiction. It gets young readers ready for such heavy and layered series as the Lord of the Rings or Narnia.
One of my favorite books as a kid. I was amazed that it wasn't an actual sequel, but takes place at the same time as the first book. It's told from another girl's perspective. It was great. Good books to remember for years to come.

(I'll always picture myself laying under tree roots, getting a splotchy suntan!)
I like the ending of this, the second of the Greensky Trilogy; but the beginning recaps too much of the first book, only from a different character's perspective. It is annoying to have to re-read the same dialogue or plot lines. But the story makes up for that with the new material in the second half.
I LOVE this series. On the surface, its a children's story of a boy coming of age. But there are depths that you'll only come to appreciate as an adult. Questions about human nature and the role of society. This series has grown with me from childhood to adult.
I found the first 60% of this book to be a review of material from Below The Root. Admittedly, it was from a different perspective, but it was too much for me.
Jenny Houfek
This series is from the seventies... Who do I yell at for not introducing me to them sooner!? I liked the second better faster because the beginning was not so confusing since I already knew what was happening.
I accidentally picked up this book out of order with the rest, and although I did not know exactly what was going on, I really enjoyed it. Still, I have to read the rest of the books to understand the characters again.
FOUND IT! I read this book as a kid and LOVED it. I've been trying to find it again for YEARS, not knowing it's name or author.

Great adventure story about a little girl. LOVED LOVED LOVED this as a kid.
Jennifer Heise
A story about rebellion against a stifling heritage, and how attempts to create utopia by shutting out conflict backfire; but more than that, a great example of worldbuilding.
Sami Privitor
I'm kind of disappointed, because this is mostly a rehash of the first book from a secondary character's perspective. I was hoping it would be a continuation of the first book.
I first read this as a teen and was enchanted by the story. What kid doesn't want to fly and do magic? I've just re-read it and found it just as enchanting as an adult.
The Green Sky Trilogy is one of my favorites. I re-read them at least once a year.
Good but ended very abruptly. Fairly typical of a middle book in a trilogy.
Jenna McA
This was my favorite book as a child. I still have it.
Totally loved this trilogy...
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
What's The Name o...: YA fantasy - SOLVED 5 43 Oct 17, 2013 05:46PM
What's The Name o...: YA fantasy people live underground [s] 6 111 Jan 06, 2013 02:19AM
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Up From Jericho Tel
  • The Forgotten Door
  • A Bone From a Dry Sea
  • Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)
  • A Billion for Boris
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Shepherd of Weeds (Poisons of Caux, #3)
  • Shadow Castle
  • Lizard Music
  • The Magic Three of Solatia
  • R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Golden Hour (Time-Travel Series, #1)
  • Up the Faraway Tree
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • The Black Beast (Book of the Isle, #4)
  • Last Days of an Immortal
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game", "The Headless Cupid" and "The Witches of Worm", Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies", was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for younge ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...

Green Sky (3 books)
  • Below the Root (Green Sky, #1)
  • Until the Celebration (Green Sky, #3)