Start by marking “Air” as Want to Read:
Air

Air (Elements of The Undead #2)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When the dead rise in Houston, Dave and Chris Thompson find themselves stranded on the top floor of the Liberty Medical Center, with nowhere to run and no help in sight. With Dave’s broken leg making movement impossible and the disintegration of civilization accelerating around them, they have to act fast, or be consumed by the seething horde below.
Nook, 36 pages
Published September 23rd 2011 by William Esmont (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Air

Books
Nov 05, 2015 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2015
I was under the impression that this book, which I’ve had on my Kindle for over a year, was going to be the sequel to William Esmont’s “Fire” – the first Elements of the Undead book. It was not, and besides it being about the start of the zombie apocalypse, it has no connection to the aforementioned full-length novel. I can’t say I was disappointed.

I actually enjoyed this short story more, even though it doesn’t offer anything new as far as zombie stories go. The writing, once again, was very go
Kayla Eklund
Nov 23, 2015 Kayla Eklund rated it really liked it
I loved this just as much as I loved Fire. My only complaint is that this was really short, comparatively speaking. I finished this in about 20 minutes or so.
Shannon
Jan 17, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
I admit it, I was skeptical. Then again, I thought that Twilight was fun, despite being badly written. Lots of things are entertaining without actually being good. So, I thought I’d give Esmont’s Elements of the Undead a shot. At least, it would be a diversion from daily life.

I underestimated it.

In all really satisfying science fiction or fantasy stories, paranormal archetypes (in this case, zombies) are symbols for bits or themes of culture or humanity about which we do not know how to discuss.
Jordan
I won a copy of the Elements Of The Undead omnibus edition via the Goodreads FirstReads program, and so far have read the first two stories. Fire, the first novel, was a bit strange for me, raising my expectations before dashing them with a lackluster back half (go read that review if you need to know the details), so I was interested to see how this story proceeded. The good news: Esmont here made none of the offputting mistakes I noted in the first review. The bad news: it's too short to be al ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Chris goes to see his brother Dave in the hospital. Dave had a motorcycle accident and broke his leg. Upon arriving at the hospital Chris hears the nurse get a call and she tells him to vacate the hall and then she leaves. People all over the United States is getting sick with flu like symptoms. Chris tells Dave that they have to get out of there that being in a hospital is not a good place to be when everyone is getting sick. Chris and Dave witness people attacking and eating each other. Chris ...more
Kathryn West
May 01, 2014 Kathryn West rated it it was ok
Very very short. This is not a book, it's not even a novella. Basically it's a chapter in a decent length book so I was a bit irked at having paid for it, even if it was 77p! The story was interesting but I don't get why it wasn't in Fire as a chapter. Yes yes I get that there are four elements but this didn't really justify it's own existence.
Cathy
Feb 07, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
This novella was free for Kindle.
I'm not a big fan of zombie stories but this was good. Like most zombie stories I've read there is no explanation, though, for how patient zero became a zombie.
This story takes place in Houston as Christ is called to the hospital because his brother, Dave, was in a motorcycle accident. On the way there he sees people on the side of the road arguing. Lots of people are in the lobby of the hospital and they are fighting, also.
Just as Chris makes his way to his brot
Trisha
Aug 05, 2012 Trisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Second book in the series, although this isn't really a book but a short story. It took about 30 minutes to read. As with the first book, Fire, this installment reminded me of The Walking Dead. Gnarly descriptions of zombie activity- although not nearly as graphic as Fire- are present. The author does a great job of conveying the fear,confusion, and desperation of the main character and his brother. Rather than take up where the first book left off, this story is about totally different people i ...more
Howard
Apr 29, 2016 Howard rated it it was amazing
This story is shorter than a novella, in my opinion. I read the book in less than an hour. The story takes place in a different location and with completely different characters the first book. This story was fast moving and a very enjoyable read.
David Morgan
May 24, 2014 David Morgan rated it it was ok
A disappointing short, and I mean short story. It's part of a zombie series so I'm site I'll go on to the next book all the whole asking myself why? ...
Carol Brannigan
Oct 12, 2011 Carol Brannigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, er-arc
A very fast read and fast paced zombie novelette (very very short). The fact that it wasn't long did not take away from having a good plot and decent character development. I loved the first person point of view. This was a great introduction to the author (I will be looking for his other novel).

If you have a half hour and enjoy zombie fiction then its worth the read.
Katy
Dec 02, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of zombies
A short, horror novella, "Air" is the second in the Elements of the Undead series. While it is short, it is well-plotted and the characters are well-developed and all given personalities and unique character traits within the constraints of their time on the page. Nicely done and perfect for the fan of zombies.
Marybeth Kobland
Oct 06, 2012 Marybeth Kobland rated it really liked it
Love this. For some reason I have a penchant for zombies. Thought this was a great little story, great descriptions to pull you right in.
John
Jan 31, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie-read
For a short story or novella I really enjoyed reading this and will finish the rest of the Elements of the Undead series.
Nick Lowe
Jul 28, 2012 Nick Lowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short but sweet. good zombie fiction, and works well as a stand alone piece although its part of a series.
Amber
Jan 29, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Very well written short story. I'll be sure to look for and read more of this author in the future.
Cynthia
Sep 06, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-book
Short and sweet but wonderfully tense. Thoroughly enjoyable.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Mar 07, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
This was a great short read and plus it was free.
Leiya
May 28, 2013 Leiya rated it really liked it
A very quick read! Entertaining from the very start!
Corey Benkelmann
Apr 29, 2013 Corey Benkelmann rated it really liked it
Short, but decent.
Missy McAfee-Thornton
Missy McAfee-Thornton rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Ds
Ds rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Celena Gwin
Celena Gwin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Maggie Deaton
Maggie Deaton rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
John G Daly
John G Daly rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jesse Anderson
Jesse Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Kelly McLeod
Kelly McLeod marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Carolyn James
Carolyn James marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Bound (The Nevermore Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last to Fall
  • The Death Trip
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen, #1)
  • Fresh Flesh (Fresh, #1)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • 25 Perfect Days
  • The Diver (The Runner, #2)
  • Operation Z-Day (The Raven Falconer Chronicles, #1)
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #2)
  • RIZEN: Tales of the Zombie Apocalypse
William Esmont lives in Tucson, Arizona.
More about William Esmont...

Elements of The Undead (4 books)
  • Fire