Start by marking “Air” as Want to Read:
Air

Air (Elements of The Undead #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When the dead rise in Houston, Dave and Chris Thompson find themselves stranded on the top floor of the Liberty Medical Center, with nowhere to run and no help in sight. With Dave’s broken leg making movement impossible and the disintegration of civilization accelerating around them, they have to act fast, or be consumed by the seething horde below.
Published September 23rd 2011 by William Esmont (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Air

Shannon
I admit it, I was skeptical. Then again, I thought that Twilight was fun, despite being badly written. Lots of things are entertaining without actually being good. So, I thought I’d give Esmont’s Elements of the Undead a shot. At least, it would be a diversion from daily life.

I underestimated it.

In all really satisfying science fiction or fantasy stories, paranormal archetypes (in this case, zombies) are symbols for bits or themes of culture or humanity about which we do not know how to discuss.
Jordan
I won a copy of the Elements Of The Undead omnibus edition via the Goodreads FirstReads program, and so far have read the first two stories. Fire, the first novel, was a bit strange for me, raising my expectations before dashing them with a lackluster back half (go read that review if you need to know the details), so I was interested to see how this story proceeded. The good news: Esmont here made none of the offputting mistakes I noted in the first review. The bad news: it's too short to be al ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Chris goes to see his brother Dave in the hospital. Dave had a motorcycle accident and broke his leg. Upon arriving at the hospital Chris hears the nurse get a call and she tells him to vacate the hall and then she leaves. People all over the United States is getting sick with flu like symptoms. Chris tells Dave that they have to get out of there that being in a hospital is not a good place to be when everyone is getting sick. Chris and Dave witness people attacking and eating each other. Chris ...more
Kathryn West
Very very short. This is not a book, it's not even a novella. Basically it's a chapter in a decent length book so I was a bit irked at having paid for it, even if it was 77p! The story was interesting but I don't get why it wasn't in Fire as a chapter. Yes yes I get that there are four elements but this didn't really justify it's own existence.
Cathy
This novella was free for Kindle.
I'm not a big fan of zombie stories but this was good. Like most zombie stories I've read there is no explanation, though, for how patient zero became a zombie.
This story takes place in Houston as Christ is called to the hospital because his brother, Dave, was in a motorcycle accident. On the way there he sees people on the side of the road arguing. Lots of people are in the lobby of the hospital and they are fighting, also.
Just as Chris makes his way to his brot
Trisha
Second book in the series, although this isn't really a book but a short story. It took about 30 minutes to read. As with the first book, Fire, this installment reminded me of The Walking Dead. Gnarly descriptions of zombie activity- although not nearly as graphic as Fire- are present. The author does a great job of conveying the fear,confusion, and desperation of the main character and his brother. Rather than take up where the first book left off, this story is about totally different people i ...more
David Morgan
A disappointing short, and I mean short story. It's part of a zombie series so I'm site I'll go on to the next book all the whole asking myself why? ...
Carol Brannigan
A very fast read and fast paced zombie novelette (very very short). The fact that it wasn't long did not take away from having a good plot and decent character development. I loved the first person point of view. This was a great introduction to the author (I will be looking for his other novel).

If you have a half hour and enjoy zombie fiction then its worth the read.
Katy
Dec 02, 2011 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of zombies
A short, horror novella, "Air" is the second in the Elements of the Undead series. While it is short, it is well-plotted and the characters are well-developed and all given personalities and unique character traits within the constraints of their time on the page. Nicely done and perfect for the fan of zombies.
Marybeth Kobland
Love this. For some reason I have a penchant for zombies. Thought this was a great little story, great descriptions to pull you right in.
John
For a short story or novella I really enjoyed reading this and will finish the rest of the Elements of the Undead series.
Nick Lowe
short but sweet. good zombie fiction, and works well as a stand alone piece although its part of a series.
Amber
Very well written short story. I'll be sure to look for and read more of this author in the future.
Cynthia
Short and sweet but wonderfully tense. Thoroughly enjoyable.
MsBDiamondDiva1
This was a great short read and plus it was free.
Leiya
A very quick read! Entertaining from the very start!
Corey Benkelmann
Short, but decent.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Laura Hernandez
Laura Hernandez marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Ker
Ker marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Bound (The Nevermore Trilogy, #2)
  • Deadlocked
  • The Diver (The Runner, #2)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • The Last to Fall
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen)
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Zombiestan
  • 25 Perfect Days
  • Circus of the Dead
  • Creepers
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
William Esmont lives in Tucson, Arizona.
More about William Esmont...
Fire Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Books 1-3) The Patriot Paradox (The Reluctant Hero Series - Book 1) Earth Water: The End of Us