Start by marking “Marvin Gaye, My Brother” as Want to Read:
Marvin Gaye, My Brother

Marvin Gaye, My Brother

(Book). Marvin Gaye's life and brilliant career were cut tragically short on April 1, 1984 one day before his 45th birthday when he was shot and killed by his own father. Now, for the first time ever, Marvin Gaye's story is told in intimate detail by a member of his own family. Frankie and Marvin Gaye were close from childhood until Marvin's death. Frankie was at Marvin's ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Backbeat Books

To ask other readers questions about Marvin Gaye, My Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvin Gaye, My Brother

Nada
I chose to read this one to accompany my reading of Michael Eric Dyson's Mercy, Mercy Me but Frankie's memoir adds nothing new. Frankie was light on information. It almost felt like he was covering up for his father. The only things he chooses to discuss are the drug use, women and mental distresses.
All that made me wonder; was Frankie really close to Marvin? Let me rephrase that question; did Frankie know Marvin at all? Because certainly this memoir suggests that he did not.

I wanted a real pie
Alyce Rocco
Jul 06, 2012 Alyce Rocco rated it liked it
Marvin Gaye is among my favorite all-time recording artists. I knew a lot about him before reading "Marvin Gaye, My Brother" by Frankie Gaye with Fred E. Basten, but not that he had a look-alike, sound-alike brother. Nor did I know that Frankie's time served in the Vietnam war was the likely inspiration for Gaye's concept album, "What's Going On".

Although Frankie Gaye helped to write this book, he died of a sudden illness prior to its publication. His memoir takes readers from the boys' childho
Doris Raines
Mar 25, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing
A. True. League. You. Came. And. Went. A. True. Angle. I. Believe. You. Was. Heavenlly. Sent. Who. Said. Life. Was. Going. To. Easy. I. Will. Always. Love. You. As. Marvin. Gaye. You. Will. Forever. Live. In. My. Heart. Now. And. Always. Still. I. Miss. You. Without. Any. Dought. Just. Listening. To. Your. Song's. Thats. What. Its. All. About. Love. You. Marvin. Gaye. Doris.
Rebekah Welch
Jan 19, 2014 Rebekah Welch rated it liked it
Very readable since the story is narrated by Marvin's brother. I've always been a fan of Gaye's music. But I didn't realize how unhealthy his personal life was from drug use to philandering. I will never understand how or why some people have poor coping skills and make harmful and unhealthy life decisions while others make healthy decisions that ensure soundness of mind and body.
Shannan Harper
Mar 23, 2016 Shannan Harper rated it really liked it
This was a nice perspective. Frankie and Marvin were about a year apart and were extremely close. Frankie died before the book was completed, but it was nice hearing from his closest sibling some of the things Marvin went through growing up and during his career at Motown.
Fishface
Jan 17, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
This was a good read. Cleared up many misconceptions for me and filled me in on a lot of things I didn't know. Well worth a read.
Erin
Jul 16, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Interesting in terms of his personal decline, but sketchy on the details of his more difficult periods.
Barbara Washington
Feb 28, 2009 Barbara Washington is currently reading it
This book provides the reader powerful insight into the private
life of one of the greatest artists of our time
David John
David John rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Violet Finch-oyesiku
Violet Finch-oyesiku rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2009
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Corey Williams
Corey Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Ncjammy
Ncjammy rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Antony
Antony rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Third
Third rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Denise Thompson
Denise Thompson rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Sam Plummer
Sam Plummer rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
Brittney
Brittney rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Valerie Arnold
Valerie Arnold rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Justin Judson
Justin Judson rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Signe
Signe rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Reymonty
Reymonty rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Dixie Borovicka
Dixie Borovicka rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2008
Nadine A.
Nadine A. rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Kenya
Kenya rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Monica Lay
Monica Lay rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014