Start by marking “The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)” as Want to Read:
The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)

The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien #2)

When Father John Callahan hears the confession of a frightened prison inmate, he learns that a man facing lethal injection is innocent. The lead investigator on the case, his friend Sean O’Brien, is still haunted by the case. The 24th letter in the Greek alphabet—Omega—may provide the key to uncovering the killer’s identity.
Published (first published March 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The 24th Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 24th Letter

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
The 24th Letter
was a nail biting thriller/mystery! This is the first book I have read by this author. After I began to read it I realized that it was the 2nd book in the series. I usually like to read series in order, however I continued to read this one. I don't feel the 2nd book lacks anything that would make the reader feel like if they hadn't read the first one that they would be lost. Lowe does an excellent job in describing the characters and meshing them together. There is a lot of action
Paul
Apr 17, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book as much if not more than Tome Lowe's debut thriller A false Dawn. Once again Sean O'Brien takes on a powerful adversary who has abused his position and must unravel the cryptic clues left by a dying priest whilst also seeking to right a terrible wrong by persuading the Justice system that he has made a grave error which could cost an innocent man his life. Superbly crafted and with enough tension that forces you to keep turning the pages until the dramatic climax. This guy is ...more
Sherry
Mar 30, 2013 Sherry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
This was a good story and I did enjoy the mystery of it. I actually rated it lower because it was poorly edited. Wrong words, repeated words etc that broke up the flow for the reader. A better editor & less repeated description would have made it better and for someone working on a time line he took a lot of time to explain things over & over again.
Cindy
Exciting thriller. I really like main character's character. Some F-bombs. Will read author again. TTS-enabled eBook. ©2010 Recommended.

re-reviewed after Re-reading 1/2/15 Christian-based.
Beth
May 23, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“U.S. Marshal Deputy Bill Fisher had never done it before, and after that morning he swore to God he’d never do it again. Never had he let a prisoner have a cigarette before entering a courthouse to testify…. The rifle’s crosshairs swept up Sam Spelling’s back as he reached the top step. The sniper looked through the scope and waited for the right second….He didn’t anticipate Spelling turning around at the rear entrance to the courthouse….He lowered the crosshairs to Spelling’s chest and pulled
Cathy DuPont
May 19, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it it was ok
The second in the series of Sean O'Brian that I've read, I liked the first one much better. Perhaps because of the scenery and the story, in my opinion was better told in the first book.

Don't think I like the character all that much. He seems a little arrogant and pushy to me. While he retired (not forced) from the Miami PD, he orders present law enforcement officers around like he's their boss. "here, send this to FBI."

He even uses his friends as his backup, calling on them to 'do this' and '
Joe
Apr 12, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-florida
Another Great Read from Tom Lowe and his re-occuring character, ex-cop Sean O'Brien. Just when you think Sean is going to be able to get some well deserved R&R after A FALSE DAWN, he gets a call from his friend, Father John. Not only has Father John just heard a dying man's confession, but what he hears concerns one of the last cases of Sean's, when he was on the force down in Miami. That case involved a guy he put away for murder, Charlie Williams, who now sits on death row, about to be exe ...more
Jenny Hilborne
Jun 17, 2014 Jenny Hilborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man sits on death row hours from a lethal injection. Former Miami homicide detective Sean O'Brien helped put him there. When another prison inmate makes a startling confession to a priest, O'Brien realizes the prisoner he helped send to death row 11 years earlier might actually be innocent. Obtaining a stay of execution becomes Sean O'Brien's top priority, but his success, and condemned man Charlie William's fate, depend on O'Brien unearthing the identity of the real killer.

Jim A
Apr 13, 2012 Jim A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have enjoyed this a little more if I had read the first O'Brien book, A False Dawn, first. It would have helped with the relationships of some of the characters and O'Brien.

Over all this is a pretty good murder mystery set in Florida, but not in the usual Florida settings of Miami or the Keys. This is set in the Daytona Beach area and is a pleasant change from the glitter and glitz of south Florida.

The story moves right along with the protagonist, an ex Miami homicide cop, bein
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Great book, well written, loved the plot and fast paced.

I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the final out come. And you don't know how it would end till the final pages!

Tho I suspected the villion may be a man lest suspected... You don't figure out who it is till real close to the end and it was a suprise.

Enjoyed this book and I'm starting his next now! This author is well worth the read... Thank you!
woody
Feb 02, 2012 woody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean O'Brien, former cop, is on the trail of a killer and trying to free an innocent man from jail that only has hours to live before lethal injection. His friend, Father John Callahan, leaves a clue before dying. Not sure that anyone ever would have figured out the clues, especially the 666 clue. Time is ticking and O'Brien has to figure out the clues fast or the innocent man he put in prison will die. Petty good book
Barbara B.
The author of this book recommended that I read his novels (based on my history of what I veered toward). So I started with The 24th Letter. Parts of the earlier verbage seemed repetitious, as the main character would tell his "story of the events" happening to everyone. But as the book progressed, the mystery grabbed me, and I really liked the main character. Am looking forward to reading the next one (The Butterfly Forest)!
Sharon Holford
Mar 14, 2012 Sharon Holford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thanks, Tom, for not killing off Barbie!!! There sure are some nasty people in this world and you portray them superbly. It's almost unbelievable how you worked Bosch into this though. It's not quite as "authentic" as your first story - seems like you tried too hard. Still, I like it. You really put the prisoner through hell and it seemed it would not end well. Thanks for resolving it in time.
Steve Isenhower
A good read. Very well written. The clue that was left by a dying man was way too complex for a man dying from gunshots to leave but was an intriguing clue and solution. I wanted to read the first book, A False Dawn, before this one but couldn't get it. Got this one from the library and bought the kindle edition of the next one, The Butterfly Forrest. I'm reading that now.
Suzanne
Mar 19, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: CPL Newsletter
Shelves: mysteries
A compelling thriller; I'd actually give a 3.5 rating. Thoroughly enjoyable mystery, good writing, likeable detective. The plot, at times, got a little bogged down and stretched credibliity at others. I'll check out the first book in this series at some point - I hadn't realized this was actually the second in the Sean O'Brien novels.
Terry
Jun 01, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take a retired Miami police officer, mix in the murders, blackmail and drugs. Shake it up and you have a mystery story that takes twists and turns. My only problem was in trying to figure out the symbolism as I read. Otherwise, I thought it was a great story. You have to like a cop or ex-cop who can kick some ass!
Kandice Newren
I enjoyed this book. It was suspenseful, but not too much that when somebody walks in the room you jump. It was also not too revealing that I didn't figure it out until over half way through the book who did it. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who enjoys suspense/murder mystery type books.
Jamie
Jun 30, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book - would've rated it about 3.5 - would've been about a 4 except it was just a bit too over-the-top...captivating though - only took a few days to read (I accidentally stayed up until 2am reading it one night!!)
Sandra
May 10, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i only wish he had more books. love his writting
Joy Lobel
Mar 03, 2017 Joy Lobel rated it it was amazing
OUTSTANDING !

Finding the 24th letter leads to death row. This book draws
you in like a fly to the spider's web. Makes you wonder how many innocent people walk that long hallway waiting for the needle. Wonderful book.
Polly Helms
Jan 27, 2017 Polly Helms rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking

This book keeps you on the edge of your seat. The characters are well rounded and work well together. And it has a dog who is wonderful.
Scott K
I liked it enough that it was a quick read but one thing I've come to know as I read more and more different mystery series is the main character seems to be the only person with any investigative skills. As is the case with Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta so it seems to be with Lowe's Sean O'Brien. He catches things everyone else misses and he's a man's man in he's like a Timex watch in that he can take quite a beating and keep on ticking.

Maybe i'm just not a fan of Timex watch type guys like
Philip
Jul 08, 2012 Philip rated it really liked it
I liked this book almost as much as the first one - A False Dawn. I say almost because my not liking of so much of the action in The 24th Letter taking place in Miami was mostly offset by my much more liking for Sean O'Brien in this book. The only problem I have with Sean is his ability to use all the resources and backups of the various police agencies and order other officers around just as if was not retired. In this respect he joins some of the other retired cops like Eric Wright's Mel Picke ...more
Gary
Mar 23, 2012 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The 24th Letter, Tom Lowe's second offering after A False Dawn, the saga of Sean O'Brien, ex-Miami homicide detective, continues as O'Brien is forced by his conscience to re-investigate the eleven year-old case of the murder of a super model. This because recent events indicate that he may have arrested the wrong man who now sits on death row with only days remaining before his execution.

Some of the cast from A False Dawn re-appear in this novel. There are Nick Cronus and Dave Collins; both m
Shelly Hammond
Dec 30, 2013 Shelly Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read any other books by this author so this was a first. It’s always fun getting to know an author’s books for the first time. You never know what to expect at all so you just sort of dive in there blindly and see what happens. This book was not a disappointment by any means!

I really enjoyed the many elements the author showcased within the pages of this book. There was a wonderful blend of murder, mystery, edge-of-your-seat suspense, and all those other good things that make up a gr
lynda  dwight
Apr 25, 2014 lynda dwight rated it it was amazing
this is the first novel I have read of this author. once starting this book (kindle version) I couldnt' put it down. it only took me a couple of days to read from beginning to end. a good page turning who really done it .

this is the second in a series but you do not need to read the first to enjoy this story. this story is about a retired detective who finds out through his priest that he made a grave mistake eleven years ago. he put an innocent man on death row. once digging to make his mistak
Quillracer
Jul 16, 2013 Quillracer rated it really liked it
This book was even better than Lowe’s first book, A False Dawn. It drew me in from the first page and held me captive right to the end. There were some things I should have done yesterday that didn’t get done because I was so caught up in the story. And I don’t often stay up late reading but I couldn’t put this book down until I reached the end.

The 24th Letter employs a standard of the mystery/thriller/suspense genres – the ticking clock. In this case, it is the countdown to the execution of a m
Kristina Smith
A good detective novel with some unpredictable plot twists. This is the second novel by the author, Tom Lowe, and it does fairly well standing on its own, but there are definitely some references throughout the book that make the reader feel like they need to put down this book and go read the first novel, A FALSE DAWN. (You don't have to, but you will feel like it)

In this book, Lowe's hero, (former) Detective Sean O'Brien receives a mysterious phone call from Father John Callahan, urging him to
wally
Feb 11, 2017 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lowe
just finished this one. great story.
Paul
Jun 17, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another good read from Tom Lowe, second in the Sean O'Brien series. Lowe has not achieved the fame of some other Florida writers but is worthy of attention. Having read a disappointing effort from Randy Wayne White followed by an excellent read from Alafair Burke gave me a good perspective in reviewing this book.

A priest who knows Sean O'Brien receives what may be a deathbed confession of a man who was witness to a murder. An innocent man was sent to prison by O'Brien when he was a homi
  • Silver Justice
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Swan Loch
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Irrefutable
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Betrayed
  • A Man Overboard
  • Top Ten
  • Thirst
  • Illegal
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer, #2)
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Grave Situation
  • Disappear
  • Nailed (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #1)
Tom Lowe's latest mystery/thriller novel is A MURDER OF CROWS. It is the eighth novel in the internationally bestselling Sean O'Brien series.

Tom's first stand-alone book. DESTINY is a thriller that begins with the discovery of Sir Isaac Newton's lost notes and how a Pandora's Box opens when a former CIA code-breaker puts the dangerous puzzle pieces together.

The first novel in the Sean O'Brien se
More about Tom Lowe...

Sean O'Brien (8 books)
  • A False Dawn (Sean O'Brien, #1)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • The Black Bullet (Sean O'Brien, #4)
  • Blood of Cain (Sean O'Brien, #5)
  • Black River (Sean O'Brien, #6)
  • Cemetery Road (Sean O'Brien, #7)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sean O'Brien, #8)