Start by marking “The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote

The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote

A brilliantly colorful Mexican version of the Brer Rabbit tales. Inspired by Tony Johnston's saucy storytelling, laced with Spanish phrases, Tomie dePaola has combined his love of folk-art with a bold, vibrant palette, in pictures that blaze with energy. Full color.
Published May 12th 1994 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote

Jamie
Jul 07, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
An interesting tale that starts off with a rabbit stealing chiles from a farmer. The rabbit is caught but tricks the coyote into taking his place. The rest of the story is a cat and mouse game with the rabbit constantly tricking the coyote.
I liked the tricks the rabbit pulled, however the story is fairly violent at the beginning and I do not feel was very appropriate for a young child's book so the rating went from 4 to 3 due to this.
Henry Martin
Mar 27, 2014 Henry Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book had us all laughing while reading. It's like Looney Tunes, but in a book. A great folk tale from Mexico.
Johna Brown
Oct 03, 2013 Johna Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, genre, predicting
This fable by Johnston serves as an explanation as to why coyotes look to the moon and howl in the night. The author uses the rabbit as an antagonist that deceives the coyote several times. When the rabbit finally makes it to the moon and out of coyote's reach, coyote can only howl in the night. The illustrators use of Spanish within the pictures shows that this fable is based within a Hispanic culture, so this story can be used during a cultural fable and folk story lesson or experience.
As a te
Christine Turner
Oct 07, 2016 Christine Turner is currently reading it
Shelves: hispanic
Rabbit outwits Coyote in this Zapotec tale which explains why coyotes howl at the moon.

Select an Action
Cover image for
TITLE: The tale of Rabbit and Coyote / by Tony Johnston ; illustrated by Tomie de Paola.
Author: Johnston, Tony,
Pub Date: c1994.
ISBN: 9780399222580
Publication: New York : Putnam's, c1994.
Description: 1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill. ; 26 cm.
Abstract:
Subject: Zapotec Indians -- Folklore
Indians of Mexi
Samary Morales
Dec 07, 2012 Samary Morales rated it really liked it
I love this book! Especially since I was introduce to it at a small age because its folklore story of Oaxaca, Mexico; where my parents come from. This book is about a rabbit who is very mischievous and clever. But after he steals chili peppers from a farmer one night, he finds himself trapped in a sack. As he is waiting to be thrown into a pot of boiling water for the farmer's meal.Coyote comes along and asks what Rabbit is doing there. Rabbit tells him that he is waiting to marry the farmer's ...more
Molly Toomey
A common folklore story within the Mexican culture, this book talks about a rabbit being bad and tricking the coyote into taking his place for a punishment. When the coyote learns that the rabbit tricked him, he gets angry and chases him. However, the rabbit tricks him once again. The ending summarizes why the coyote always howls at the moon. This can be used to teach children the difference between folklore and information. It can also be used as a prompt for the students writing their own ...more
Ms. B
Mar 26, 2016 Ms. B rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, 2016, folktale
A Mexican version of Brer Rabbit. Instead of the tar baby, it's a beeswax doll. A coyote replace Brer Fox. Use this one to introduce students to characteristics of folktales:
*short
*passed down through the generations by word of mouth
*unknown author
*found in many cultures around the world
*often has animal characters
*may have a trick in them - like rabbit tricking coyote
This would also work to show students how Mexican art influenced author and illustrator Tomie dePaola's artistry.
Diane Adams
Oct 09, 2015 Diane Adams rated it it was amazing
Subbed in a 4th grade class the other day, and they asked me to read them a story. Someone picked this one. Very timely, following the supermoon/lunar eclipse! Apparently in Mexico, they see a rabbit in the moon, rather than a man or a lady brushing her hair. Classic trickster tale, beautifully illustrated. Since it's a Mexican folktale, I'm counting it as my "originally in a different language" entry for the 2015 Reading Challenge!
Atena Oyadi
This is a few different trickster rabbit tales compiled into a single narrative. These tales are from the folklore of Oaxaca, Mexico, but feel familiar as fables and folktales often do (especially to those of us who grew up with Brer Rabbit stories). The pictures are by Tomie dePaola, whose work I love, and they are done in a refreshingly different style and color palette than I tend to recognize in dePaola's work.
Codie Gates
Apr 10, 2012 Codie Gates rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, animals
What a great book! Rabbit outwits Coyote in this fun read-aloud book. This story explains why coyotes howl at the moon. I thought this was a great book to read-aloud and I could definitely get into the emotions and all that fun stuff. The pictures are excellent as well.

Great book to help introduce fables. I really enjoyed this book. I would use this in any grade.
Margaret
Nov 28, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing
11/26/13 ** I added this book to my curricular unit on trickster tales. My fourth graders got a kick out of "clever" rabbit getting stuck in the wax statue of the farmer. They "got" the juxtaposition of the normal trickster getting caught himself. Also, they picked up on several of the differences in culture and setting between this book and Coyote by McDermott.
Heather
Jun 16, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
My kids really enjoy "trickster" books. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

This was a fun story of poor coyote always getting tricked by rabbit. They laughed and smiled all the way through it. Bright and colorful illustrations.

We will probably add this into the unit on "trickster/creation" studies. Yes, I think that would be a fun unit!
Dolly
Apr 12, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love trickster tales and we love books by Tomie dePaola, so we just knew we'd like this story. Although the illustrations are quite different from Mr. dePaola's typical work, they are fun and go well with the Mexican story. The trickster rabbit is very cunning and the coyote is rather naive and their antics are a lot of fun.
Dec 24, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
I liked antics of the scheming little rabbit. I've read similar stories, but not with as many tricks from the rabbit. The illustrations were nice, but I wasn't overly impressed. I would recommend if you were a fan of world folklore.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Karla
Feb 19, 2014 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: latino, children, folktale
This is a fun folktale to read. I think each of the characters is fallible, which makes the story a bit more fun. I had forgotten that some cultures spoke of a rabbit on the moon rather than a man on the moon, and this explains why the coyote howls at it!
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-3, a17
AR Quiz No. 60376 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Roxann
Jul 17, 2011 Roxann rated it really liked it
I love to read stories that tell 'why' or 'how'. This book, meant for children, tells about why coyote howls as he looks into the sky.
Suz
Oct 24, 2016 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Folk tale unit, multicultural unit, animal stories unit - you can find a way to fit this book in. Kids love the clever rabbit.
Edna
Why does the coyote howl at the moon? Find out how rabbit continually outsmarts the coyote and saves his own life.
Megan Rowland
Apr 03, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
The Tale of Rabbit and Coyote is a good read aloud book. This is because of the expression you are able to use while reading. The lesson can be on teaching children how to comprehend.
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Dana Miranda
Dana Miranda rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Jennifer Anders
Jennifer Anders rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
David William
David William rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Annaquita Woody
its it so intresteading im really in to coyote stories
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tony Johnston has written many acclaimed books for young people. She and her husband lived in Mexico for fifteen years, where they raised their children. She now lives in San Marino, California.
More about Tony Johnston...