Start by marking “Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health” as Want to Read:
Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

The groundbreaking program for healthy aging through movement and flexibility. In the revolutionary Somatics, Thomas Hanna demonstrates that so many problems we accept as inevitable over time--chronic stiffness, bad back, chronic pain, fatigue, and even high blood pressure--need never occur if we maintain conscious control of nerve and muscle, a state which Hanna calls sen ...more
Published August 4th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published January 21st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Somatics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somatics

Jen Marin
In his book Somatics, Thomas Hanna, Ph.D. tackles the medical assumption that pain and degeneration are the inevitable result of the aging process. Not only that, he offers a simple plan to recover lost flexibility, balance, and posture. His exercises, he assures us, will bring us back into connection with our lost mobility while reducing pain and discomfort. It almost sounds too good to be true. But is it?

Most people suffer from pain and discomfort at some point in their lives. When this follow
Michael Paone
Jul 26, 2012 Michael Paone rated it it was amazing
Complete honesty: Somatics and Hanna Somatics in particular is one of the most important discoveries of my adult life. I'm 28 now and had incured a series of small muscle pulls in my lower body and then a groin pull (combined with horrible posture and alignment) that eventually threw my whole body into a cycle of degeneration and discomfort. Somatics is the one discipline that is helping me to unravel these patterns. I literally feel 10 years younger.

Hanna's greatest insight is that we are both
Jun 02, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has wrestled with chronic pain
This is a great first-encounter with the topic of sensory motor amnesia, and so much of it rang true for me. It is based on the Feldenkrais method of dealing with chronic pain. Makes a whole lot of sense.
Raghu Hudli
Feb 10, 2015 Raghu Hudli rated it liked it
Somatics is a very interesting and reassuring book. The author motivates the reader to be aware how we feel our bodies internally. The theory of Sensory Motor Amnesia - the habituated state of forgetfulness of our muscular contractions is the corner-stone of Somatics. The author cites many examples of how he relieved the muscular and bodily pain of many of his patients by creating awareness of their muscular contractions and teaching them to relax muscles.

The author's theory and claim are that o
Elizabeth
May 18, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: massage
I have not read this book yet; it is the recommended resource related to the introductory two-day class I just finished on Hanna Somatic Education with Susan Koenig.

The changes in my own body after the 12-hour course are quite remarkable - a dramatic decrease in tension that has been chronic, and an increase in ease of movement and range of motion. All this after performing a set of effortless, gentle, yet specific exercises. While this particular course was aimed at massage therapists, HSE is
culley
May 27, 2016 culley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meridian, somatic, trauma
This book debunks the myth of aging so prevalent in American culture. The deteriorating conditions we normally associate with aging are actually the development of sensory-motor amnesia in response to positive and negative stressors. All this is explained in clear, easy to consume language. The images in the book are relatively poor quality black and white images of a wooden artist mannequin demonstrating different postures. The last third of the book are “somatic exercises” based on the Feldenk ...more
Sabriel
Jan 24, 2013 Sabriel rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga, health
Though I liked his ideas and explanations the book could have done with a little bit less medicine bashing (that got boring quickly). The third of the book that actually deals with the exercises that one can do to improve body awareness was not a clear as it could have been. The exercises were demonstrated with wooden puppets (the ones normally used for drawing anatomically correct positions). In the black and white print the puppets appear almost black and a lot of the contrast of limbs is lost ...more
Patrick Peltier
Jun 27, 2014 Patrick Peltier rated it really liked it
If you have posture issues I can see few books that help give better awareness than this. I would also recommend Move Without Pain. I used this for back and ITB issues. It namely corrected my hip problems.
Josie
Sep 19, 2016 Josie rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful resource for bodyworkers, movement professionals, yoga/pilates teachers, and anyone interested in somatic exercise. Highly recommend; This book will stay in my collection for reference for years to come.
C.J. Prince
Apr 14, 2012 C.J. Prince rated it really liked it
I was introduced to Feldenkrais movement in the early '80s. Somatics has grown out of that background. If you have pain in your body, you are always seeking answers for a safe, enduring way to improve the quality of life.

This book gives hope.
Erin
Jan 20, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth looking into! Okay, never quite finished it just skimmed through. But it had a lot of good info, I do believe that we can be unaware of our bodies and may be flexing/straining certain muscles subconsciously and over time that can cause a lot of aches and pains elsewhere...
Heather
Feb 03, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-fitness
What a wonderful resource. So glad I read this book. Since I first read Moshe Feldenkrais I have been very interested in the mind body connection. Thomas Hanna has a great program and his insights on aging and sensory motor amnesia are right on. I love taking control on my own body!
Alexander Y.
Jan 14, 2014 Alexander Y. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The possible reason for the problems (pain) in the back and other parts of the body is very often the loss of control of the muscels. This book helps to understand the problem and gives exercises to handle it.
LizzardN
Mar 01, 2013 LizzardN rated it really liked it
Great information. The exercises are helping my posture and pain. But, the exercises are hard to follow... Somewhat poorly written. Also, the author's attitude is a bit preachy.
Alan Inglis
Feb 27, 2016 Alan Inglis rated it did not like it
Very difficult to read. Very poor diagrams.
Type too small
Foxthyme
Oct 09, 2007 Foxthyme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, spiritual
Excellent book to learn how to regain back all of your natural range of motion using simple exercises. Valuable. Not a 5 star simply because I think the pics could have been much better.
Janie
Jan 31, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-works
Essential for anyone interested in the workings of the body.
Gary
Feb 02, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
Good technical but readable book on the mind/body connection with lots of good exercises.
Cole
Cole rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Eleanor Lang
Eleanor Lang rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
moiraine
moiraine rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Charles Gibson
Charles Gibson rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Kenneth Petersen
Kenneth Petersen rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Steve Greenleaf
Steve Greenleaf rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Raj Kumar
Raj Kumar rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Betsy Housten
Betsy Housten rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2011
Jane Kirby
Jane Kirby rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2017
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • Bodymind
  • Treat Your Own Neck
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • The Thinking Body
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get it Back
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Wisdom of the Body Moving: An Introduction to Body-Mind Centering
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain