Start by marking “Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health” as Want to Read:
Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the revolutionary Somatics, Thomas Hanna demonstrates that so many problems we accept as inevitable over time-chronic stiffness, bad back, chronic pain, fatigue, and even high blood pressure -need never occur if we maintain conscious control of nerve and muscle, a state which Hanna calls sensory-motor awareness. This gentle, lifelong program can help almost anyone maint ...more
Published August 4th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published January 21st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Somatics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somatics

Jen Marin
In his book Somatics, Thomas Hanna, Ph.D. tackles the medical assumption that pain and degeneration are the inevitable result of the aging process. Not only that, he offers a simple plan to recover lost flexibility, balance, and posture. His exercises, he assures us, will bring us back into connection with our lost mobility while reducing pain and discomfort. It almost sounds too good to be true. But is it?

Most people suffer from pain and discomfort at some point in their lives. When this follow
Michael Paone
Complete honesty: Somatics and Hanna Somatics in particular is one of the most important discoveries of my adult life. I'm 28 now and had incured a series of small muscle pulls in my lower body and then a groin pull (combined with horrible posture and alignment) that eventually threw my whole body into a cycle of degeneration and discomfort. Somatics is the one discipline that is helping me to unravel these patterns. I literally feel 10 years younger.

Hanna's greatest insight is that we are both
Aug 19, 2007 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has wrestled with chronic pain
This is a great first-encounter with the topic of sensory motor amnesia, and so much of it rang true for me. It is based on the Feldenkrais method of dealing with chronic pain. Makes a whole lot of sense.
Elizabeth
May 18, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: massage
I have not read this book yet; it is the recommended resource related to the introductory two-day class I just finished on Hanna Somatic Education with Susan Koenig.

The changes in my own body after the 12-hour course are quite remarkable - a dramatic decrease in tension that has been chronic, and an increase in ease of movement and range of motion. All this after performing a set of effortless, gentle, yet specific exercises. While this particular course was aimed at massage therapists, HSE is
Patrick Peltier
If you have posture issues I can see few books that help give better awareness than this. I would also recommend Move Without Pain. I used this for back and ITB issues. It namely corrected my hip problems.
Sabriel
Though I liked his ideas and explanations the book could have done with a little bit less medicine bashing (that got boring quickly). The third of the book that actually deals with the exercises that one can do to improve body awareness was not a clear as it could have been. The exercises were demonstrated with wooden puppets (the ones normally used for drawing anatomically correct positions). In the black and white print the puppets appear almost black and a lot of the contrast of limbs is lost ...more
Heather
What a wonderful resource. So glad I read this book. Since I first read Moshe Feldenkrais I have been very interested in the mind body connection. Thomas Hanna has a great program and his insights on aging and sensory motor amnesia are right on. I love taking control on my own body!
Erin
Worth looking into! Okay, never quite finished it just skimmed through. But it had a lot of good info, I do believe that we can be unaware of our bodies and may be flexing/straining certain muscles subconsciously and over time that can cause a lot of aches and pains elsewhere...
C.J. Prince
I was introduced to Feldenkrais movement in the early '80s. Somatics has grown out of that background. If you have pain in your body, you are always seeking answers for a safe, enduring way to improve the quality of life.

This book gives hope.
Alexander Y.
The possible reason for the problems (pain) in the back and other parts of the body is very often the loss of control of the muscels. This book helps to understand the problem and gives exercises to handle it.
Foxthyme
Excellent book to learn how to regain back all of your natural range of motion using simple exercises. Valuable. Not a 5 star simply because I think the pics could have been much better.
Liz
Great information. The exercises are helping my posture and pain. But, the exercises are hard to follow... Somewhat poorly written. Also, the author's attitude is a bit preachy.
Janie
Essential for anyone interested in the workings of the body.
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jill Jordan
Jill Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Trista
Trista added it
Jan 19, 2015
moiraine
moiraine marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Lisa Bartus
Lisa Bartus is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Josefine Kraushaar
Josefine Kraushaar marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Linda K.
Linda K. is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • The Thinking Body
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • Treat Your Own Neck
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition
  • The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning
  • The Wisdom of Your Cells: How Your Beliefs Control Your Biology
  • Stretching
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life
  • Reforming Education: The Opening of the American Mind
Shoutin' into the Fog: Growing up on Maine's Ragged Edge The Body of Life: Creating New Pathways for Sensory Awareness and Fluid Movement Bodies in revolt;: A primer in somatic thinking The Thought and Art of Albert Camus Letters from Fred: A novel