Jeremy Thrane: A Novel

Jeremy Thrane: A Novel

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  35 reviews
From the author of the highly acclaimed In the Drink, a smart and sexy exploration of New York and its customs through the eyes of a disillusioned, yet secretly hopeful, gay man.

Jeremy Thrane is a thirty-five-year-old writer in love with a married man. For years, Jeremy has posed as "archivist" to Ted Masterson, a Hollywood action star. Jeremy maintains Ted's New York br...more
Published October 12th 2011 by Anchor (first published 2001)

Christina
Loved this so much. In some ways, this is a less sophisticated book than Christensen's The Epicure's Lament. Even so, it has more heart. Jeremy is a less memorable but more human character than Hugo is, and there's a poignancy to his journey that Hugo's doesn't share. So much about this book touched me deeply and made me slow down and think--particularly the relationship Jeremy has with his sisters and mother. Christensen's writing, too, is so lyrical and incisive (if writing can do those two th...more
Jackie
I was surprised at how much I liked Jeremy Thrane. Protagonist Jeremy Thrane can be snobby, childish, and immature... but I loved having the chance to be a part of his world. Kate Christensen's characterization is incredible -- I enjoyed getting to know Jeremy's eccentric circle of family and friends. I highly recommend this book!
Gabrielle
This book is underrated. Please add it to your bookshelves. Laugh-out-loud fun and great writing—sublime.
Michele Hohlfeld
I almost stopped reading this after the first chapter or two....it wasn't awful but it just wasn't "grabbing me"......and generally speaking, if I am not captivated by a book almost immediately, it goes back in the library bag to be returned. But I really enjoyed another book, "The Astral", by this author so I stuck with it.....and am glad I did. The more I read, the more I liked Jeremy, the main character. Christensen's novels make me want to move to NYC....her descriptions of city life are so...more
Jim Leckband
This book concludes my serendipitian (a word probably used by the Tama Janowitz clone in "Jeremy Thrane") trilogy of New York and its artists (Seek My Face, The Wicked Pavilion). It has the satire of "The Wicked Pavilion" and the heart of "Seek My Face". Also like "Seek My Face", it attempts the trick of narrating a book by a character very different than the author (Face: waspy white male => curmudgeon white female painter; Thrane: young female (sexual orientation unknown) => 35 year old...more
Anne Green
I enjoyed this book. Kate Christensen's characters are prickly but funny and believable. She sweeps you up into their daily lives and emotional inner dialogues in a funny and yet not overly self-indulgent way. Though they may be self obsessed, they are also self critical and embrace their quirks, damaging self destructive behaviours and foibles as well as their charms. Jeremy Thrane is a vain superficial seeming gay guy living in NYC yet he looks out at the world with an intelligent cynical but...more
Robin Nicholas
Good book. Jeremy has basically been on hold for the last 10 years. He has been the kept lover of a famous movie star that leads a double life as a happily married man with a child. That comes to an end-the movie star has fallen in love with his "straight life" and doesn't want to take any chances...plus the relationship has probably run it's course. Now that Jeremy is on his own and must figure out how to support himself and basically take care of himself the story begins. He who has been livin...more
Julie
Just read this for my book club book and I really enjoyed it! I love Kate Christensen's writing style and voice--her characters were funny and interesting and even the "fringe" characters were a little deeper than the usual. I thought the observations and opinions that the characters expressed throughout the book seemed so "real life" and realistic--whether I agreed with them or not, I enjoyed their views, expression and quirks.

My friend Carin said Kate's other books, In the Drink, The Epicure's...more
Ann
Now I have officially read everything Kate Christensen has written, which means she needs to get busy and write some more, fast! While this was my least favorite of her books, it is still quite good. Gay male life in NYC is far from my personal experience, but her characters are all so finely realized that I felt I could follow any one of them off the page and into his/her own story. There's not a lot of action in this book, but quite a lot of personal journeying is done by several characters. I...more
Shari
It is really hard to like the main character of this book – Jeremy Thrane – a thirty something boy-toy who feels entitled to live the easy life and accept little or no responsibility for the choices he makes in his life. However, because the book is actually very well written and because Jeremy evolves, rather painfully into a responsible and caring adult during its course – you actually feel badly when the book is over – because you’d actually like to spend more time with the new and improved a...more
Kim
This book is overwritten and bloated, but there are parts that are great and very funny. Jeremy's inner turmoil and insecurities were entertaining. I especially enjoyed reading about his relationships with Ted, Sebastian, and Yoshi. The whole family backstory with Jeremy's sisters and their long-lost father was less interesting to me than his quest to have his novel published and the ways he tries to get his life back on track after his break up with Ted.
Jan
Feb 11, 2009 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: queer alcoholics (or those who just want to look like one)
another weird and funny christensen novel. i loved this one, but not quite as well as epicure's lament. it was almost completely plot-free. how did it ever get published? and yet i kind of liked that about it -- enabled me to really luxuriate in the character's odd life and the author's wonderfully inventive and precise language. didn't quite buy the happily-ever-after ending (though i adore the scene where he cleans his room/psyche).
Katherine
A pleasant, if slightly odd novel, with a very real, and flawed main character. Jeremy Thrane is a kept man--the mistress? master? what's the corresponding word?--of a successful actor who is both closted and married. When it all falls apart, he has to reinvent himself rather late in life. Jeremy is smug, privileged, and would probably be off-putting in real life, but somehow he ends up being endearing and interesting.
Aaron
p. 267: "But, said a louder and more compelling voice, maybe my book wasn't good at all; maybe it was just the kind of pretentious, overwritten thing I most deplored. No, said the smaller voice; it couldn't be."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that little inner dialog is the author's more than the character's. And this book is pretentious and overwritten. I certainly deplored it.
Randine
In an interview, Christensen admitted that Jeremy Thrane was the character most like herself so far - I guessed that as I was reading it - he is very likable. I have read so many of her books now I see the common themes - art, music, gay and straight romance, New York, humor, family relationships, shrinks, drinking...lots of drinking....

I like her stuff.
Adele Goetz
This book is well-written, entertaining, yet deeply annoying. I have discovered that I find books about writers - especially New York City writers who take themselves very seriously - to be infuriating. However, On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the very annoying Emperor's Children, this book only rates a 2 on the annoyance scale.
Ryan
There might be too many characters, and outside of just a few heated conversations, nothing really happens, but I'm still really enjoying this one. The narrator-protagonist Jeremy is a well-mixed cocktail of sympathetic and unlikable, so following him around NYC after he gets dumped is usually fun.
Jessica
Love Kate Christensen - want to be her when I grow up. Not as seamless as "The Great Man" but still very interesting - she has an excellent gauge for what is fascinating and fascinatingly mundane. She also likens herself to the title character, a gay man, and I totally relate....
Emily
The second of Kate Christiansen's "loser lit" books features a gay man in New York City coping with the his Hollywood star boyfriend's decision to break up with him. Many of Kate Christensen's excellent turns of phrase, but also in my opinion her weakest book.
Freyja Vanadis
This is a story about a self-absorbed, unlikeable gay man and his unremarkable life. Kate Christensen writes very well, which is why I gave it as many as 4 stars. I hated Jeremy though, which is why I didn't give it 5.
Julie
Another score for Kate Christensen. Sometimes she goes on a little too long about something, but this woman can write, has a wonderful wit, and does the most extraordinary job with male narrators. Jeremy cracked me up.
Michaela
A sign of a great author that I can identify with a misanthropic gay man living in New York? It all about the journey, even when the characters don't physically travel more than a few city blocks.
Shari
i read this because i had enjoyed "the epicure's lament" by same author. totally different as it is about a slightly older gay man and his family, life and work. not a bad read once i got into it.
Julia
I should have read a different Kate Christensen book. I think I picked the worst one.

Homeboy gets dumped and has to get a job. Fun scene drinking vodka at Brighton Beach.
Simone Lehmann
Lighter than her usual writing, obviously an earlier book (her writing isn't as polished as it is in The Epicure's Lament), but entertaining, nonetheless.
Laurie
got this book to "review" - it introduced me to Kate Christensen - she's a great writer. not for the sexually conservative but a great read
Panda
A cute story of a smart loser. Christensen's favorite theme. Not quite as amusing as epicures delight but still fun and lively read.
Kathleen Maguire
I am a big Kate Christensen fan. This one did not disappoint, but did not like it quite as well as a few of her other novels.
Kathy
Decently written book. Sort of a slice of life regarding one main character. Nothing exciting really happened.
Luann
Had to be the crankiest character ever -- which I ended up loving.
KATE CHRISTENSEN is the author of six previous novels, most recently The Astral. The Great Man won the 2008 PEN/Faulkner Award. She has published reviews and essays in numerous publications, most recently the New York Times Book Review, Bookforum, O, Elle, and Gilt Taste. She writes an occasional drinks column for The Wall Street Journal called "With a Twist." Her blog can be accessed at: http://k...more
More about Kate Christensen...
The Great Man Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites The Epicure's Lament The Astral Trouble