Start by marking “Unearthed (UN-Forgettable #1)” as Want to Read:
Unearthed (UN-Forgettable #1)

Unearthed (UN-Forgettable #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  42 reviews

Out of this World...

Tess MacKenzie has always dreamed of taking her place among the stars, but racing through the galaxy is not quite what she had in mind. An aspiring singer, she's finally on the verge of her big break when she's abducted by the hottest alien she could have ever imagined. An alien who claims the fate of millions depends on her.

...and Into His!

Cohl Tra

Published October 3rd 2011 by Carina Press (first published March 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unearthed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unearthed

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Wow. I just finished this. I think I just threw up a little at the back of my brain.

I'd mark this as containing spoilers, but the only spoiler is if you read it. I've read a ton of SF and this is a bad parody of many of the standard SF plots. However, any fan of SF will tell you that the basic rules of the world have to work. Nothing works in this universe. Transport systems, gravity concerns, planetary laws, communication devices, basically name any element and it doesn't work.

The power of the
Lyndi
I'm so sick of these bitches.

She's kidnapped by somebody. Somebody with a floating robot - not something you see every day. When she wakes up, she thinks she's on a boat. So she plans to jump ship, even though she could be in the middle of the ocean. Then she finds out she's on a spaceship and still tries to escape. What the hell is she gonna do? Jump out of an airlock? Commandeer a spacecraft and fly it home? Like she has any fucking clue how to fly anything or even where home is? No. Once you'
Melinda
Cute story! I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. If you are looking for an easy, laid-back read, then this is the book for you.

The story stayed with the events without throwing in a lot of different side stories. The action scenes were minimal, but kept you reading. The characters (Cohl and Tess) are wonderfully compatible with their relationship developing smoothly (without the b*tching and screaming foul).

All-in-all, a happy story!
Leslie
Unearthed is a very good sci-fi romance. Barry's characters are really likable and the sci-fi portion of the romance is worked into the storyline with a deft hand. Actually, it almost reads like an Indiana Jones-inspired novel, except the treasure is on another planet and the hero's mode of transportation is a star-ship. I am hoping to read the rest of the series soon. Very recommended.
Kendra
I'm not sure why I didn't like this more than I did. It's usually the type of book I like. There's plenty of action and adventure along with the romance, but I felt like the h/h seemed to just blink and bam -- they were in love. Huh? I'm not sure I believed it in this story.
Maura
Jane (PS)
I started this book over a year ago and put it down again due to lack of interest. But I couldn't bring myself to 'book exchange' it without first reading it. So finally I forced myself to start again so I could clear it from my TBR pile.

It was better than I had thought! Starting with low expectations maybe helped its cause... It really was quite enjoyable (sorry Jim!) I even shed a couple of tears (yes, I must be a bit of a sook). I had a few overall issues:
* The H/h fell too quickly for each o
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Tess has lived her entire life putting herself last. But now, she finally has the chance to live her dream as a singer. Until she is kidnapped by a sexy alien. It seems that she has a very special voice --the only one in the universe-- that can unlock the key to a secret amulet Cohl needs to pay off the men who have taken his father hostage.

Cohl takes Tess back to his home-world, and manages to convince her to help him in his cause. And of course, the two of them fall in love. But neither of th
Lover of Romance
Tess MacKenzie, on the verge of a successful career as a singer, is suddenly kidnapped by Cohl Travers. Tess's whole concept of her world, is about to change when she realizes that she just hasn't been kidnapped to another state or country, but to another galaxy. Cohl, needs Tess to help him get his father freed, from those that have ransomed him. His father is the king and leader of their world, and Cohl is willing to do anything to free him, even kidnap a innocent woman to get what he needs. H ...more
Tracy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
Out of This World...And About Three Others

Tess MacKenzie isn't having a good night. She's just got paid for her last gig, much needed funds for those pesky necessities like rent and electricity, and she's walking to her car late at night. Alone.

Okay, so maybe that's not the wisest course of action she's ever taken, that fact made painfully clear when a mugger steps out of the shadows and demands her cash. There's no way she's going to just calmly hand over her hard-earned money, b
Monique Atgood
Sci-Fi Romance Novel a la Indiana Jones.

Prince Cohl and his trusty side kick robot Pitz kidnap an earthling singer Tess. She wakes up on his spaceship, and is told she has a unique voice needed to help the prince unlock a musical puzzle to acquire a special amulet which Cohl plans use to bargain for his abducted father's life. Think Indiana Jones in a spaceship but a lot younger.

What I liked: I love Sci-Fi Romance! There are space ships and planet wide civil wars, and Cohl treats space travel li
L.E.Olteano
The overall rating for the series is 4 butterflies. I had a great time reading these books, I had fun, I got a healthy dose of smutty galore, and I was very, very glad I got a chance to read them.
If I were to say what genre they’d go in, since people are always big on tags and stuff like that, I’d think these are romance with a sci-fi-ish twist, and not the other way around. There is a lot going on in each book, and there’s a whole universe weaved for them, but I feel the main element is the rom
Kathleen A
Good lord, this book was terrible. I loved it. Would I recommend it to another person? Never. Will I read more by this author? Absolutely. As I read it I thought it was a YA, or at the very least written by a 16-year-old girl, because that is the age group it is written for. That said, the characters were likable and the dialogue entertaining. Now, if only PJ Schnyder had written the sex scenes.
Eva
4 Stars

If you had asked me a year ago if I liked Science Fiction I would have given you a strange look and told you of course not. I have most definitely changed my mind. It is one of my favorite genres now. Specifically Science Fiction/Romance.

Unearthed by C.J. Barry drew me in from the very first chapter and I didn't put it down until I finished it. This story is a more "believable" science fiction since the inhabitants of the planets outside of earth are mostly humanoid. I found it highly en
Maria
Unearthed is a fast, fun, romping space adventure. It's space opera in a good way. Tess is the fiery-haired heroine who is abducted by the devastatingly handsome alien Cohl. Only Tess can save Cohl's father and his planet.

The story is written with an upbeat pace that kept my attention. The characters are engaging and quick-witted. I loved Cohl's robot bodyguard! Wish I had one of my own!

This is not a high brow science fiction novel. Don't look for minute details on quantum space theory or black
Charlotte  Black

I love Sci-fi romance. My favourite authors are Lizzy Ford and Alexandra May so this one took me by surprise.

But this is a great story if you love Star Trek/Lost in Space type Science Fiction Romance. There's quirkiness, suspense, mystery and lots of heartbeating romance.

The story takes us from Earth to a space abduction (I refuse to use the word alien!) and then bring on the chemistry!

I loved the two characters, their development was sweet, endearing and the story was told really well by the a
Susan Commeford
Another fine story

I'm really loving this author. The stories are enthralling with a balanced mix of adventure and romance...very descriptive prose places us right there in the story. While there a moments of sensuality, those scenes are not overly graphic, yet satisfy. And we are not treated to vulgar or coarse language...a welcome plus to these books.
Atunah
On my quest of finding good sci fi romance, this author was recommended to me and this first in the series hits the right spots for me.

The kidnapped pop singing earthling experiences a world somewhere, far far away. But not so far she can't come visit back to Earth once in a while. :).

Loved the vivid description of the heroes home planet, the spaceship, the battles on and off the ships.

The Indiana Jones-esque adventures on the planet of the long dead civilization.

Wonderful space adventure bas
Sandra
Usually, I love earth-girl kidnapped by handsome alien guy stories, but nope, not this one.

The sci-fi was terrible and what was with one half of the bad guys wearing stinky animal skins as uniforms, in their space ships?

The angst and guilt felt by the H towards the h for kidnapping her, then letting her be stolen by said animal skin wearers, then getting her involved in deadly traps to reach the amulet of power! Ridiculous. If he had felt genuine remorse none of that would of happened.

Do yoursel
Petula
gave up halfway.
Mitabird

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was funny, romantic, quirky, adventurous, and suspenseful. I thought Tess did a wonderful job handling all of the things thrown her way; I felt her reactions and emotions to the situations were realistic. Cohl was a great hero. Though he was stubborn at times, he really cared for Tess and wanted what was best for her. I'm looking forward to reading the others in this series.
GONZA
I knew I shouldn't have read this book, I've problem with sci-fi love novel....The problem is that I love so much sci-fi that instead of giving attention to the plot I keep on thinking of all the physics laws that are broken or not taken in any account....
That's probably the reason why I didn't appreciate this book, maybe the next in the series will be better, I hope....
THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND CARINA PRESS FOR THE PREVIEW
Nisha
Jul 26, 2009 Nisha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy Catherine Spangler's Shielder series
Its kinda a mix of Indiana Jones and a space opera. The beginning was kinda lame, like most alien abduction related stories (what else can you do when you have to steal away an Earth character?) but it gets better toward the end.

Its a quick, fun read. I wish it had more details upon the other characters, like depth and all. The interplanetary problems were hardly described, which kinda put a damper.

Chelle
Super fun read. Hitchhikers Guide meets Indiana Jones, meets... Star Wars? Spaceballs?

Funny, entertaining, kept me up all night reading.

It was like hanging out with a bunch of really awesome people for a weekend. You know you can't make a life out of it, but it sure is fun and leaves you smiling.

I never rolled my eyes once. Lusty Quest-y Adventure.

Pick this one up, relax and enjoy it.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I enjoyed this book, but there were a few things that knocked it down. I didn't like that Cohl would deliberately not tell her things that she needed to know (because he didn't want to worry her,etc). I thought the villain(s) were very conveniently stupid. However, I will say I enjoyed this fluff and will be checking out the other books as well.
Andrea
This is a really enjoyable sci-fi romance. It isn't deep and full of angst and tortured pasts, but not complete fluff either. The characters are likable and relatable. The best part is that the book is well written and EDITED! For the same price as the self published poorly written stories, you get an actual book!
Merry
My only slight gripe with this book is that it could have been much longer with all the awesome original ideas and characters C.J. Barry has packed into this deliciously exciting and sexy story. (I want a Pitz of my own...but I'd settle for Cohl.)
Missy~
This was a re-read for me. I have read all of C.J. Barry's UN series and enjoyed them all.
She is a good futuristic "love among the stars" author. Would recommend her books to all sci-fi romance fans.
Brittany
MK (Food actvist)
May 08, 2008 MK (Food actvist) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: futuristic/series romance lovers
Shelves: author-c-j-barry
Simply a great series. I hope to hear more from this author in the future. Or more from authors simliar in her style of writing. Futuristic romance w/ witty, smart, emotional characters.
  • Shadow Crossing (Shielder #4)
  • Contact
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition, #1)
  • The Power of Two (2176, #4)
  • The Down Home Zombie Blues
  • Day of Fire (2176, #2)
  • The Dare (Rystani #2)
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
  • Blue Galaxy (Blue Universe # 1)
C.J. grew up reading science fiction novels, comic books, and her brother's Cracked magazines. In high school, a creative writing teacher told her she should be a writer, but she decided to go to college instead. In college, a writing professor told her she should be a writer, but she decided to be a computer programmer instead. A husband, a cat and two kids later, an adult education teacher told ...more
More about C.J. Barry...

UN-Forgettable (4 books)
  • Unraveled (UN-Forgettable, #2)
  • Unleashed (UN-Forgettable, #3)
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4) Unraveled (UN-Forgettable, #2) Unleashed (UN-Forgettable, #3) Redemption (Soul, #1) Body Master (The Body, #1)