Start by marking “No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan” as Want to Read:
No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan

No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It seemed like an impossible mission right from the start.

A Special Forces team planned to land in an enemy-held valley, scale a steep mountain in Afghanistan to surprise and capture a terrorist leader.

But before they found the target, the target found them...

The team was caught in a deadly ambush that not only threatened their lives, but the entire mission. The elite sold
Published March 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about No Way Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Way Out

Chris Boette
Certainly a compelling story about overcoming tremendous failures in planning & BAMFs surviving the worst of conditions. Speaking plainly, though, it's a damn shame the book wasn't better written. Jumping from third to second person, putting words and phrases in quotes, and the constant repetition of the same scenes from differing perspectives (with little to nothing added) all weakened the book, from a reading perspective.

A suggestion that I wish was made, or followed, in the editing proce
This book is described as a "Blackhawk Down" of the Afghanistan war. In some respects that's true - a screwed up mission attempted despite its many (and obvious) flaws, resulting in numerous deaths and casualties. I suppose the most disturbing part of this story is the aftermath when the spin doctors in the US Army declared it a success despite its actual failure to achieve its defined mission. This leads one to wonder if any lessons were learned at the *higher* command levels (there is no doubt ...more
Michael Flanagan
I was a bit unsure upon opening this book and seeing over 90 chapters listed for a book with a little over 330 pages. Any doubt was quickly pushed aside by the fast paced narrative. The mechanics of the book gives such a sense of the choas of battle the author is trying to convey. Upon finishing this book I have even greater respect for those who put others before themselves.
Chris Piluso
It was pretty similar to black hawk down but on a smaller scale. BHD in Mogadishu was 20 years ago and was not nearly as screwed up as the planning was in this mission. The American and ANA soldiers all had a bad feeling about it and wanted the mission to be cancelled for various reasons. Their pleas were ignored. That did not prevent them from doing what they were told.
The men on this mission were absolute warriors and never stopped fighting despite being ambushed and pinned down on a tiny led
Betsy Ashton
No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan, by Mitch Weiss and Kevin Maurer, is measured in tone, reportorial in its presentation. A story of one Special Forces team and its Afghan commando counterparts are airlifted into a valley to capture or kill a high-value target. The problem is the valley is surrounded by the enemy on cliffs surrounding the landing zone. Caught by automatic weapon fire and rocket-propelled grenades, the teams are asked to scale the cliffs and bring down ...more
Another badly flawed mission that resulted in the SF displaying heroism and amassing the most Silver Stars awarded for an engagement since the Vietnam War. I liked how the authors introduced us to the members of the team and the short chapters had a page turning intensity. Plenty of pictures but poor maps and sketches. I almost wanted to make a 3d diorama of the area. It was hard to picture the fight but you knew it was unbelievable. Somebody ought to have refused to do it. No medals for that. S ...more
Emily Price

Great book about a group of soldiers who overcame great odds and bad planning. A must read for all who enjoy military books.
Excellent account of Special Forces 3rd Group ODA3336's deadly mission, Commando Wrath, on 6 April 2008 in the Shok Valley, Afghanistan.
Excellent story about the repercussions of not learning from history, add to that ego-centric leadership at the top and the mission they planned and handed to SOG without listening to their input, then this is what happens; young men pay a permanently high price. The shear magnitude of heroism described in this book, all the way down to the medic and the combat photographer, makes this a very worthwhile read. The Shok Valley has never fallen to a foreign foe, and that remains true even today, th ...more
Noah W
This book takes a look at a mission that went downhill fast. It does an excellent job of articulating the realities of war by depicting the heroism of the SF soldiers midst a gritty, bloody fight. By the end of the book you will know how to use a tourniquet. This book will make you appreciate the sacrifices made by our military.

The author captures the story by cyclical interviews of several soldiers who were assigned to the mission. I liked the opportunity to see the thought processes of the lea
Excellent, disturbing and sad. Every character was well pictured, a few in more detail than others. It was like I was feeling every described emotion myself while reading this story (desperation, helplessness, fear, anger, pain, relief, sadness, exhaustion, hope,....)
I think if you been through this hell you'll never be able to forget all this bad stuff that happened there.
The men and women who make the ultimate decisions about war are usually too far away, by their own cowardly choice, to know the facts. The decision to run this mission, even though those who were sent into harm’s way warned of the absurdity, demonstrates the callous lack of concern of America’s politicians and politically tuned military leaders.
This book started off fast paced and interesting, but over the course of the failed assault, became mired down in repetition and descriptions of events ad-nauseum. I haven't finished it and don't intend to anytime soon.
Michael Lupi
Very fast paced quick read. When I read about some of the things that these young men endured and the obstacles that they overcame I had to wonder if I was even a member of the same species as them.
I didn't actually read much to be honest because the four f-bombs in the very first chapter really put me off of it. Shame too, because it sounded like a good tale.
A great book that fills me with pride for our Special Forces.
Sapito marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Jillian marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Lance M
Lance M marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Paul Liddle
Paul Liddle marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Jillian Salazar
Jillian Salazar marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
  • One Million Steps: A Marine Platoon at War
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Violence of Action: The Untold Stories of the 75th Ranger Regiment in the War on Terror
  • They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
  • Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
  • Hunting in the Shadows: The Pursuit of al Qa'ida since 9/11
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
Hunting Che: How a U.S. Special Forces Team Helped Capture the World's Most Famous Revolutionary Tiger Force: A True Story of Men and War The Business of Broadway: An Insider's Guide to Working, Producing, and Investing in the World's Greatest Theatre Community Managing Artists in Pop Music: What Every Artist and Manager Must Know to Succeed Dogs in Thought