Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #1-5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  25,948 Ratings  ·  957 Reviews
Collects: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight, #1–5

Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers-newly legion-have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains. Meanwhile, one of the "Buffy" decoy slayers is going through major pain of her
Published October 31st 2007 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Jlawrence
Jan 09, 2014 Jlawrence rated it liked it
As a big Buffy and Joss Whedon fan, I really, really wanted to love this and expected to be giving it five stars, but I was somewhat disappointed. First, the good -- it's a fun and fast-paced read, the art is excellent overall, and it's of course great to see these characters again. Whedon's patented snappy dialog is in full effect, providing several awesome laugh-out-loud moments.

Small things that bothered me: Amy and a bizarrely resurrected Warren are not the most interesting villians; likewis
Kat Kennedy
Jan 01, 2014 Kat Kennedy rated it liked it
Part 1 of my shameless attempt to get my Reading Tracker back on track.

This totally, totally counts as a book.

The Flooze
I initially scoffed at the thought of a GN continuation of the television series. I'll admit that I wasn't particularly enthused by graphic novels in general, plus part of me thought this was merely a way to keep the franchise making money. Having read this first one, I was pleasantly surprised (although, since the script is from Whedon himself, I should have had more faith).

The story stayed true to the feel of the TV show: Buffy kicking butt while still feeling oddly detached, Xander cracking
Amy (shoutame)
I was so excited to get into the Buffy comics having only recently discovered them. I am a massive fan of the television show and couldn't wait to delve into the world of Buffy and the Scoobies again!

- So this is the comic series that continues on where the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer leaves off. I wasn't sure what to expect but I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped to.

- I have no qualms with the delivery of the story - the illustrations, format and typeface were great and I
Charles
Dec 30, 2007 Charles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: hardcore fans
I finally got my hands on some Buffy comics, which totally exposes my nerddom, but I can't hold it in.

This collection of the first four comics of the "Season 8" series are shocking and interesting, going places the television show never could while remaining true to the characters and their histories. What's most surprising are the voices here, consistent with each actors' portrayals, and the new mysteries created by the time gap between the episode "Chosen" and the first panel of the comic.

I ca
Taschima Cullen
Dec 01, 2015 Taschima Cullen rated it it was amazing
I am reading this, in anticipation of this:

description

I love Buffy, like love love Buffy, and the end of season 7 was a little hard to swallow while continuing with my "normal" life. Back then I didn't have the money to buy these for myself, but today is a new age and I am ready to get back to season 8 and beyond.

Also, this:

description

I enjoyed the first 5 comics of the new and improved (maybe) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I do appreciate, as a long time fan, that now Joss gets to explore crazy ass routes that would hav
Tim Pendry
Unengaging graphic sequel - apparently the first 'episodes' in a notional Season 8 - to the TV Series, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. It misses the point - the Buffy series was fantasy, sure, but it was also about the psychological development of, and the tensions within, its Scooby Gang.

'Season 8' (at least based on reading this first volume) is filled with stereotypes and seems a forced attempt to drive the 'girl power' message of the last minutes of the final show of Season 7 to ridiculous leng
Cath
Jun 28, 2016 Cath rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars.
I've been putting off reading these comics for a while, but after a recent Buffy rewatch, I thought I should give the comics a go!

It was great to see the Scooby Gang back together, they've all grown up so much. But they still have the same humour and witty dialogue that I love so much.
I was lost a few times but I got the hang of things, I can't wait to pick up the rest!
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Evan
Jan 09, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tamara, TJ, other Buffy fans
Recommended to Evan by: Jordan
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was a late convert to Buffy--Season 7 to be exact. My ex LOVED the series, and initially I scoffed. But with his help, and armed with previous seasons on DVD, I too fell in love with these wonderful characters.

This trade paperback collects the first several issues of the newly-sanctioned, Joss Whedon-written and approved "Season 8" comic book. Whedon's trademark gift for gab is delightfully present, as were most of my favorite characters. His Buffy, Xander, and Willow are spot-on. So much so,
Anne♡loves♡romance
Dec 22, 2015 Anne♡loves♡romance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Maybe I'm too big a fan!
Rose Heredia
As much as I proclaim myself to be a complete Whedonite, I read this under an hour and didn't love it. I thought, "Whedon dialogue on page with kool illustrations? Winning!" but no, no win for me. What made the show amazing was not only the dialogue but the performances by those actors - the inflections of their voices, the expressions on their faces, their hand gestures, etc. I can say the dialogue was just as funny as the TV show but the comic didn't pop to me. Additionally, perhaps because it ...more
Sesana
Mar 08, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics, magic
Fans of Buffy will at least want to read this, the official continuation of the series. Fortunately, they'll probably like it, too. The dialog and characterization are as good as they ever were. Reading this, I could easily hear the actors' voices in my head, especially with Xander. The setup is pretty much exactly what the series left us with: instead of one Slayer, there's now hundreds, and the Scoobies are now trying to organize, train, and lead them. (Bonus points for Andrew's cheese-tastic ...more
Lainey
Jan 03, 2015 Lainey rated it liked it
I am a super Buffy superfan. Ask me any question, I will know the answer. It is my favorite television show, Buffy has been my ultimate role model since I was 11, the series and I go way back.

With that being said, it wasn't until 2014 that I decided to pick up the comic series, which is canon, according to the god that is Joss Whedon.

After reading it, it was ok. I'll be reading the rest because I'm interested. But I did feel some of the magic that made the tv series incredible were lost in the
Dichotomy Girl
3rd Read: 08/17/2015
2nd Read: 5/21/2014
Original Read: 4/7/2009
Kaion
Oct 25, 2011 Kaion rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, unfinshed
Have I mentioned I'm moving about six hundred times? I was going through my old floppies from when I was bright-eyed and excited about the return of Buffy in any form (though also wary from the hot mess that Season 6 and 7 turned out to be).

On the plus side? Jo Chen's covers are gorgeous. On the minus side, the first four issues of this volume ("The Long Way Home") show a really uneasy move from the TV format to the comic format. Pacing is off, for one; Whedon seems to be reveling in the "infin
Cai
The Long Way Home picks up where season 7 finished. There is now an army of slayers and Sunnydale is now just a hole in the ground. Someone is targeting Buffy Summers and the Scooby Gang need to find out whom and destroy them before they themselves are destroyed.

It is clear that Joss Whedon worked on the comic books as well because all of his humor is right there.
The characters are EXACTLY like those from the television series, they are just as witty and the illustrations do a good job of makin
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
What's so weird is that to continue Buffy they decided to basically go in the direction I hated the most, ie, military like The Initiative. Also, it doesn't seem to logically stem from the end of season seven. There it felt like Buffy was going to do something new, but this is more of the weird and awkward that didn't work in season seven. Plus, HELLO!?! Warren. Still pissing me off. Though the lameness of the overall plot is made up for with 'The Chain' and how the Buffy decoys work (still SO ...more
Selin
Apr 03, 2015 Selin rated it really liked it
Resim sınavına hazırlanırken figür hareketleri çalışmak için zorla çizgi roman almıştım. Pek çizgi roman insanı olmadığımdan hiç okumamıştım ancak youtube da birine denk gelip belki de doğru çizgi romanı okumamışımdır diyerek bir başlamak istedim.
İyi ki başlamışım. Okuması oldukça eğlenceliydi bence çizimler de güzeldi. Tabii anlamıyorum pek ama hoşuma gitti. Buffy'yi yarım yamalaktan biraz daha fazla izleseydim eminim daha çok keyif alırdım. Malesef arada bu kimdi ya diye takılmalarım oldu.
Anca
Rachael
This was really cool- just like watching the show. Only thing is it's been about 6 years since I last watched the whole series, so I forgot some things. I probably would have enjoyed this even more if
I had just finished season 7 before this, with all the little details fresh in my mind. Good job Joss!! I look forward to other volumes of Buffy :D
j
Fun continuation of the series. I'd like to keep reading but my library doesn't have any more volumes and I'm not paying $15 for something that takes me 20 minutes to read.
Courtney Stanton
Dec 11, 2009 Courtney Stanton rated it it was amazing
As someone who watched the show from day one, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but...Season 8 is possibly my favorite season (at least so far).
Kara-karina
Mar 21, 2016 Kara-karina rated it liked it
Just got into this comic book business after I re-watched the TV series. What a thrill! Really enjoying it :)
Justin
May 19, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
Now that I’ve spent a few years rewatching the entire Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, I can finally check out the Whedon-penned Season 8 comics. Being an enthusiastic fan of the series, I’ve kind of built them up a little in my mind. Consequently, the first volume didn’t quite bowl me over as much as I was hoping, but it is a worthy successor to the show (so far), and that’s all that really matters.

This first volume largely picks up where the seventh season of the slow left off, albeit with som
Stephanie
(From my blog, Misprinted Pages,)

I’m a big Buffy fan, as you can probably guess by my recent spotlight of the current comic book series and my review of Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion. But I need to step back to Buffy’s first outing in what’s considered “season eight,” an extension of the popular television show, only in print. The Long Way Home kicks it off.

(view spoiler)
Xavier Guillaume
Dec 01, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who have seen all of Buffy
Recommended to Xavier by: Rahdne
Shelves: graphic-novel
I strongly recommend giving this book a shot if you're a fan of the Buffy series, but only if you've seen all of Buffy because a lot of this wouldn't make sense if you haven't.

This book takes place about 3 months after season 7 of Buffy. Even though the First was pushed back to God knows where, and Buffy stopped the what was it? 10th apocalypse on Sunnydale? There are still tons of underground demons that are doing your usual killing and mayhem. However, this time there are 1800 slayers around t
Gef
Dec 04, 2010 Gef rated it really liked it
Who knew a comic book would be the thing to remind just how much I miss Buffy the Vampire Slayer. God, I loved that show. I never cared for the movie, and I actually avoided the show for its first two seasons. Then, I got suckered into watching the Season 2 finale and I was hooked. Now, we're years removed from the series finale, but I still crave stories from that universe. I've even read novels from Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder to try and fill that void, but it's just not the same.

I tho
Kj
Dec 07, 2008 Kj rated it really liked it
As what I believe is the first case of a television show continuing as comic book (this first batch of comics is called Season 8, just as if it were the next series of episodes), this breaks all kinds of creative ground, and of course has the potential to step into some pot holes as it forges its way to unknown territory. (Have I mixed my metaphors enough yet?)

It's hard to imagine what it must be like to be in Joss Whedon's shoes. With the transition from sound stages and scripts to paperback an
Megan
Sep 13, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Infinite Variety Books
I've never read a comic book before. I've never been interested in them; but since I've been trying out a few new genres (crime and YA, mostly) just to see if my pre-conceived prejudices of these genre-types are accurate, I thought I'd just dive in.

Always been a stalwart fan of the TV series, and didn't think Whedon could go wrong, but I saw the Avengers and Comic Book Superheroes are not my thing, but where else should I have started my journey in to Comic Book land? Or should that be Graphic N
Castle Dracula: Buffy 17 9 Oct 05, 2016 02:20PM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Adaptation Read 4 11 May 14, 2015 04:42PM
Comic books/Graph...: July: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home 2 8 Jul 01, 2013 10:48AM
Buffy - what went wrong my dear? 2 39 Jan 18, 2013 11:56AM
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, #4)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 (8 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, #4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, #6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, #8)

“The thing about changing the world... Once you do it, the world's all different.” 112 likes
“It's about women. It's about power and it's about women and you just hate those two words in the same sentence, don't you?” 51 likes