Start by marking “Diary of a Public Radio Slave” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Public Radio Slave

Diary of a Public Radio Slave

When Sloan Kennedy is handed a pink slip from her employer and her fiancé, she takes a job as a receptionist at a local public radio station, quickly becoming immersed in the goofy world of broadcast journalism students perfecting their British accents, gossiping busybodies, flaky bosses, and uber pledge drive fans. Sloane must pull it all together as visiting radio ...more
142 pages
Published (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Public Radio Slave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Public Radio Slave

Lucy
Aug 20, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
this is the perfect fun fluff to read right after finishing two Serious Books. the characters are delightfully delineated, described, demented.
Mom
Jul 05, 2012 Mom rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Here is a very funny book, if you are a fan or at least familiar with Public Radio. Sloan Kennedy has lost her job, her boyfriend, and is teetering on losing her house. So why not apply for a job at the college's Public Radio station? She is hired as a glorified go-fer, translation: Administrative Assistant, and she ultimately becomes the Saviour of the Pledge Campaign. If you are a PBS listener, you know how quirky programming can be- every topic you can think of pronounced with a British ...more
Kathy
Apr 30, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-general
If you've ever worked in a public radio station you will get quite a few laughs out of "Diary of a Public Radio Slave" by Kerri Wood Thomson. While I know from personal experience that people who work at TV stations are special, and I've heard that the people who work at typical radio stations are rather special too...the folks who work at a public radio station are a special breed all to themselves. Thomson captures the fun quirkiness that inhabit the halls of a public radio station, and with ...more
Victor Muthoka
Jun 28, 2014 Victor Muthoka rated it liked it
I found this book to be very fun, a light and enjoyable read. Sloan loses her job & is dumped by her fiancé Ben, leading to a turn in life for her.

She looks for work to keep up w/ the new apartment's mortgage & the madness begins. She gets a job as an administrative assistant at a campus NPR.

Writing in a relaxed, friendly manner, this book is her account if the time immediately after she takes up the job. Meet the craziest of characters & some whacky jokes by the author as she tells
Scott
Dec 01, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok
A couple oddball characters that go nowhere. I'm not inclined to dislike Sloan the main character, I don't really see much happening to her in the story. She has a few adventures and comes out the exact same as does everyone else in the book.

I picked this up as a free kindle book and did manage to read through to the end. I don't think it was worth much more than free.
Susan
Jul 29, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
I don't think you have to work in Public Radio to enjoy this book. Good writing, quirky characters and great visuals. I finished it in an afternoon and I'm hoping we get to see more by Kerri soon.
Dee
Oct 30, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was funny, especially since the main part of the story takes place during their fund drive. And, lo and behold, I get in my car and NPR is having a fund drive. It was a fun read.
Underwhelmed
Oct 07, 2011 Underwhelmed rated it really liked it
Omg. Everyone should read this book. Well, everyone of a certain age that also finds Christopher Guest movies hilarious and relevant. I found the author's blog when I finished this book and it made me like her all the more.
Nancy (NE)
Feb 09, 2013 Nancy (NE) rated it liked it
Somewhere about a 3.5 for me. A satirical peek into the world of public radio: making fun of a few thinly disguised celebrities, plus some cynical profiles of the stereotypical listeners, supporters and employees. The humor was done in fun and affection for the medium.
Gaele
Jul 15, 2012 Gaele rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Public Radio has slaves ? Yes..that was the hook. Fortunately the book delivered..
See my review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3286VF3...
Julie Duncan
Oct 19, 2011 Julie Duncan rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a fun, light read. The sort of book you'd want to take on vacation. I won it as a Goodreads giveaway. The characters are all very relatable and make for an enjoyable read.
Thomas Potter
Thomas Potter rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Fermentum
Fermentum rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Alanna
Alanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Tracie
Tracie rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Jill Simm
Mar 09, 2015 Jill Simm rated it really liked it
Fun fluff if you are a Public Radio fan.
Chanawp
Chanawp rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2015
Peggy Ogata
Peggy Ogata rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2014
Debi
Debi rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Angy Poppenhusen
Angy Poppenhusen rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Cassie Kabrick
Cassie Kabrick rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
  • Hot Flash
  • Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier
  • The Jade Rabbit
  • Transfer Day
  • Darlin' Druid (Texas Druid, #1)
  • The Kitchen Shrink
  • Punching In: The Unauthorized Adventures of a Front-Line Employee
  • The Ghost Exterminator (Karmic Consultants, #2)
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • Boomerang
  • Foxy's Tale (Reluctant Vampire Series, #1)
  • Cake Icing, Butt Budder & Tea Lids
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • How to Fail: The Self-Hurt Guide