Start by marking “How the Church Fails Businesspeople (And What Can Be Done About It)” as Want to Read:
How the Church Fails Businesspeople (And What Can Be Done About It)

How the Church Fails Businesspeople (And What Can Be Done About It)

Why do so many Christians struggle to relate their faith to their daily work? In this book John C. Knapp argues that the church's ambiguous teachings about vocation, money, and business have long contributed to Christians' uncertainty about discipleship in the workplace. Drawing on his own expertise in business ethics and numerous interviews with Christians in diverse ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about How the Church Fails Businesspeople, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Church Fails Businesspeople

Joseph McBee
Jan 03, 2013 Joseph McBee rated it liked it
Based on studies, surveys, and years of experience, Knapp has written a book that attempts to describe the disconnect between clergy and their parishioners in the business world.

The primary focus of these frustrations seems to center around the lack of help business people feel they get from their pastors regarding ethical dilemmas they face in the workplace. In fact the majority of the book describes and bemoans this topic.

In doing so, I feel that the book fails in one sense because it seems to
Paul Mullen
Mar 06, 2016 Paul Mullen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-vocation
John Knapp, now President of Hope College, has written the best diagnostic on the mixed record of the Church and its influence on culture in general and business in particular. The first half of the book describes the nature of the issue and its likely causes. The second half describes a potential for moving "toward coherence."

Knapp's work is full of nuance; it is not a monotone diatribe, and the supporting data and history are compelling.

The summary of the book is this: The Church has been larg
Michael Kruse
Great book! Knapp highlights well the gap between the church and daily work of life Christians. No blueprint for change is offered for an easy fix but he points in some fruitful directions. I wish pastors and denominational leaders would read this.
Steve
Aug 17, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
"Is faith only of value when healing is needed? Is it not essential to living our daily lives as instruments of God's healing power in the world? Church culture, like business culture, reinforces the notion that the proper place for faith is the private sphere. Despite this, many men and women in the pews are not easily persuaded that the God they worship on Sunday morning is unconcerned with how they make their living."

So writes John C. Knapp, director of Samford University's Frances Marlin Man
Scott
Dec 19, 2012 Scott rated it it was ok
A year or more ago my Stewardship Committee chair requested that we do something on the intersection between faith and work. Our staff recently planned an upcoming worship series with the theme "Make Our Work Worthy" that will focus on vocation and spiritual gifts. For an accompanying study, I read this book, which I had seen well-reviewed in The Christian Century. I will use the book for the study.

The title isn't the best and suggests the book is less meaty than it is. There are good discussion
Katharine
Apr 06, 2016 Katharine rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by how inspired I was by this book! I had to read it for a Business Ethics course, but I ended up really enjoying it. Knapp has written a book filled with information and new perspectives, yet it is far from a data dump. It's very interesting! There are stories and scenarios that are relatable, but there are also some that may address questions you've never asked yourself before. It challenges you to reflect upon your own biases and that of your church, and it ultimately has ...more
Robert D. Cornwall
John Knapp has done the church an important service by waking us up to the reality that we are not speaking to the needs of those in the workforce. We have elevated the work of the church in a way that leaves what people do from Monday through Saturday (and often on Sunday)as less than spiritually rewarding or valuable.

He speaks of ethics and of spirituality and in the end reminds us that millennials don't divide work and personal lives, they seek to integrate them. We've been working under the
David
I've read a lot of books recently on integrating Christian faith and work. This book is focused on the business world. It is filled with study results that show most church members do not come to pastors for advice with work because they feel pastors don't get their work. I think it is a quality entry and ought to be read by any who seeks to integrate their faith with their work, or those of us who work in ministries where we can help others do so.
Doug Browne
Jul 12, 2012 Doug Browne rated it it was amazing
Speaking as a businessperson, a PK (preacher's kid), and a seminarian, this book tells it like it is.
The (big-C, meaning all branches) Church simply must address this.

The "two spheres" world doesn't work for the individuals who try to live that way, it doesn't work for the church, and, I'm convinced, it doesn't work for the Kingdom of God.
Rachel
Feb 23, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great book highlighting a really crucial problem for many Christians today: how to integrate faith and daily work life -- and how the church can and should help. I needed this book and have now passed it along (highly recommended) to my pastor-husband.
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Jim Sherblom
Jim Sherblom rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2012
Stephen Eckert
Stephen Eckert rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Duane Guthrie
Duane Guthrie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Susan Yang
Susan Yang rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Matt Ritchie
Matt Ritchie rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Franklin Goldberg
Franklin Goldberg rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Chris Findley
Chris Findley rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Anthony Greco
Anthony Greco rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Ike Reeder
Ike Reeder rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Ethan Linder
Ethan Linder rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2016
Holly
indexing job
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Michael Sanders
Michael Sanders rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Bob Robinson
Bob Robinson marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Steven Koster
Steven Koster marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2012
Ashsperry
Ashsperry marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2012
Buddy
Buddy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Caleb Tan
Caleb Tan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Kirk Stifle
Kirk Stifle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Joaquin Hernandez
Joaquin Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Scott Travis
Scott Travis marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Paul White
Paul White marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
BG Allen
BG Allen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Perry
Perry marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Steve Godfrey
Steve Godfrey marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014