Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Puts world events in a context that is relevant for today's students and casual readers Updated to include the significant events from the past several years
ebook, 2nd Edition, 400 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Alpha Books (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History

Chuck Heintzelman
Well, it was interesting. Although, I feel like more of an idiot after reading it than when I started. The problem is by the time I reached our modern world in the book, most of the earlier information (like about Mesopotamia or Sumeria or the Chinese empires or even Greece and Rome) fell out of my brain.
وضحى

What a wonderful book!
It's the first step that let you look at the big picture of the world without going through the boring, long, unnecessary details. After having read this amazing book, you will be ready to dig in deeply at any spot of the history to seek for specific events.
I honestly enjoyed it and I recommend it as a corner stone for viewing the world history.
Again, it is a great book, indeed!
Haley Keller
Overall I really liked this book. The problem is I found at least one mistake, and it left me worrying that there were even more that I didn't catch. At one point in the book (I'd give a page number, but I left the book at home when I came to college), the author talks about a French colony on the island of Cuba. He's obviously referring to Haiti and means the island Hispaniola because I think most people could tell you that Cuba was a Spanish colony. And Cuba and Haiti are not on the same islan ...more
Naftoli
The Idiot's Guide to world history contains more information than the Dummies book. I read the Idiot's guide fast and it's enough to get the obtain going. There entire world histories published now which revolve around a commodity, e.g., salt. These are endlessly fascinating.
Otto Silver
I hardly made it past the first chapter and I was already wondering f I should continue. Needless to say,I never finished.

The author treats the Bible as if it is fact. He thinks the Great Wall of China is visible from space and countless other absurd pieces of "information".

Idiot's Guides are generally good, but in this case, if you want to know something useful about world history, then I suggest looking somewhere else.
Borah
I liked it. That's a lot of history to cram into a (relatively) small space. I think Mr. Hall did a pretty fine job. For all of my thoughts and feelings, you can read my review here at MyEntertainmentWorld.ca.
Holly
OK, I didn't totally finish this book but I loved what I read. It simplified World History beautifully and I began a list of what I'd like to read more about. I'd still be working my way through if it weren't for it coming due at the library...I'll probably check it out again and finish it some day.
Erin
So I didn't get to finish this guys because I maaay have left it in another country. However, what I did get through I greatly enjoyed. It was a good high level overview with enough detailed points to keep it interesting and memorable. I might go out and get another copy!
Sharon Hallman
What a great book. Even if you are a good history student this is great review. Easy to ready and written with humor. If you hated history in school you will love this everyone should read it.
Rob Stauffer
I liked how the authors broke up the sections in this book. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a quick refresher course on some very important beginnings.
Jim
Good coverage of world history.
Jamie
Jul 24, 2010 Jamie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I like it so far.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Avinash
Avinash marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Simran
Simran added it
Sep 06, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Rania Swailem
Rania Swailem marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Martmaes
Martmaes marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Fatima.bahloulgmail.com
Fatima.bahloulgmail.com marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jarrod Kearney
Jarrod Kearney marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History
  • The Times Complete History of the World
  • The Secret History of MI6
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • The Templars: History & Myth
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • What Your Teacher Didn't Tell You: The Annexe Lectures (Vol. 1)
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
  • Russia: A Short History
  • Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia
  • What We Saw: The Events of September 11, 2001--In Words, Pictures, and Video
  • European History for Dummies
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • Through Blood and Fire at Gettysburg: General Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine
  • Return to Dragon Mountain: Memories of a Late Ming Man
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Middle Ages The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History, 2nd Edition The Truth About Lincoln Volume 1: Lincoln Nabb and the Bully's Father Bully Goats Gruff Wanted : A Casebook of Unsolved Crimes of Violence in Australia