Start by marking “The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles” as Want to Read:
The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles

The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Named to "The Washington Post"OCOs 2011 List of Best Leadership Books
In this fast-reading and illuminating expanded edition of the bestselling "LeaderOCOs Checklist, " world-renowned leadership expert Michael Useem deepens his examination of 15 mission-critical principles for leaders
Based on the lessons from astonishing stories, solid research, and years of leadership de
Published September 1st 2011 by Wharton Digital Press (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Leader's Checklist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leader's Checklist

May-Ling
i thought this book was terrible and after hearing useem speak (he was fantastic), i see why he has fans that might give this a higher rating than it deserves. the biggest problem i have is that you can't really have a checklist for leadership, because it's not a process. useem refers to the checklist manifesto a few times in this book. going into surgery or flying a plane are processes that lend themselves to checklists. you are about to do something, so you go through this list one by one a ch ...more
Andrea James
This is more of a pamphlet than a book. I read this book on a jet-lagged plane journey and found that it's fairly suitable reading for that spaced-out state of mind but probably did not offer much more than that.

It felt like a magazine article that doesn't say anything strikingly insightful but provides some light reading. So unless you find yourself too tired to concentrate on difficult material, I wouldn't particularly recommend this book.
Naomi
As a MBA with a leadership concentration and 10 years experience in leadership and leadership development(focused primarily in the business development area), I found this book a fascinating short read. I read no less than 30 leadership books a year. The book contained lists which I thought were laid out the best in any leadership book I have read. They were concise, which in working with someone in any level of administration, it is best to have. The Owner's Manual List said it all and could be ...more
Jason Galloway
Good book to refer back to
Audra
The book fulfilled my expectations.The author appeared in the book as a narrator. I did enjoy the book because it expanded my mind when it comes to leadership.It was on par and better in some ways that other books in this genre.I was pulled into the book.
The author’s presence was very fitting and appropriate.The themes are business, leadership. They were the focal point of the book.It ended exactly how I expected.
June
I have read many books by Michael Useem, having had a class taught by him at Wharton. He is amazing as a teacher and a writer (I highly recommend the Leadership Moment). This was my least favorite book, as it is mostly a checklist. However, that is why I bought it.
Auriella
I was expecting to read about some new ideas to inspire my leadership but it really just talked about how a few people in history used their leadership for good or bad. I may use some of these "checklist" items but not because I learned them here.
Scott
Pretty much contained the obvious with no real revelations. As a professor, he probably had to publish something and this was it. The price was right, though. Wharton Press gave it away. Had I paid, I'd probably only given one or two stars......
Sam
Decent summary of things to remember, though not a lot of background or description to define the checklist items.
Ron
got for free for my kindle, very simplistic, at least it was short!
Sarah McCauley
Sarah McCauley marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Gabriel Gasparolo
Gabriel Gasparolo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Christine Peterson
Christine Peterson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Todd Mckeever
Todd Mckeever marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Elba Stewart
Elba Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Fernandel Carbonell
Fernandel Carbonell marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Justin Riley
Justin Riley marked it as to-read
Rita Barber
Rita Barber is currently reading it
Cody Chaloner
Cody Chaloner marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Stephen Davis
Stephen Davis marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Walt Campbell
Walt Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Bhuvan
Bhuvan added it
Jan 05, 2015
Josiah Aston
Josiah Aston marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael Useem is William and Jacalyn Egan Professor of Management and Director of the Center for Leadership and Change Management at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.

Professor Useem has completed several studies of corporate organization, ownership, governance, restructuring, and leadership. He author of The Go Point: When It's Time to Decide (Crown Business/Random House, 2006);
More about Michael Useem...
The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All Leading Up: How to Lead Your Boss So You Both Win The Go Point: When It's Time to Decide--Knowing What to Do and When to Do It Learning from Catastrophes: Strategies for Reaction and Response The Leader's Checklist, Expanded Edition: 15 Mission-Critical Principles