Start by marking “Answers to Distraction” as Want to Read:
Answers to Distraction

Edward M. Hallowell

Answers to Distraction

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The book that answers your questions about ADD—now revised and updated

Afterdecades of being unfairly diagnosed,children and adults with attention deficit disorder are now recognized as having a common and treatable neurological condition. Drs. Hallowell and Ratey answer the questions most frequently asked at their nationwide workshops and seminars, resulting in an easy-to-
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published 2002 by Recorded Books L.L.C. (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Answers to Distraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Answers to Distraction

Chelsea
Jul 24, 2011 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction, own-book
The authors of the New York Times bestseller Driven to Distraction provided an essential "user's guide" millions of Americans suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD), their family members, and all concerned professionals. They both have ADHD themselves and that was very important to me. I trust the answers of people going through the same thing that I am who are also professionals than not.

This is in question-and-answer format type of boo
Douglas Cootey
Sep 23, 2010 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic resource. I am so glad that I made it a goal to finish this book before reading others. It's not laid out with any sort of narrative. It is literally answers to a pile of cards Hallowell had collected from people asking him questions about ADHD. He organized them into themes and answered them one at a time. Theoretically, one is supposed to come to the book with a question, then search for the proper chapter. Since there were so many pearls of advice and wisdom to be discovered through ...more
Tara
Aug 25, 2013 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
As the title dipicts, this book is written in question and answer format. Since it was written in 1994, some of the information is dated, such as the medications and there is a lot more known about add/adhd than when the book came out.
There is some very sound advice to some very honest questions. I wish that there would have been greater detail to the answers, but it is still a good source of info.
Monica Rodgers
Jan 21, 2013 Monica Rodgers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the Q & A style of this book because there were some very specific questions I wanted answers to about ADD/ ADHD and many I had not thought to ask that I enjoyed reading. I also think this style of book is much easier to read for someone who has issues with the reading component of ADHD/ ADD.
Shannon
Mar 05, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newly diagnosed with ADHD
A lot of answers for the many questions those newly diagnosed with ADHD would most likely have. I didn't read this all the way through, but focused on the parts that seemed most interesting/relevant to my life. It's a good companion book to Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction!
Kristen
Dec 30, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parentingetc
This is in question-and-answer format, so I mostly browsed through all the questions that seemed relevant to us. It seemed most of the book was more focused on adults with ADHD which isn't as pertinent for us right now, which is why I rated it lower. It just wasn't as helpful to me right now.
Chris Gager
Jan 30, 2012 Chris Gager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this a little at a time. Picked up at the town transfer station rescue trailer. I have self-diagnosed mysef with ADD. At age 65. It explains a lot. It's both discouraging and encouraging at the same time.
Dec 30, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good companion to Delivered from Distraction. Points I took away that have helped our family:

- get a coach
- accept that ADHD is a lifelong disability
- modify the ADHD environment to help daily struggles
Heidileesinclair
May 31, 2008 Heidileesinclair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not quite as clear as DRiven to Distraction - to read as addition to ... Heidi
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Melissa Freestone
Melissa Freestone marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Chelcea Farrar
Chelcea Farrar marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Leslie Shreve
Leslie Shreve rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Carolina Barberis Diaz
Carolina Barberis Diaz marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Ko
Ko rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Bobby McDonell
Bobby McDonell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Enrique
Enrique rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Shannon Kaneaster
Shannon Kaneaster marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Audrey Cienki
Audrey Cienki rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Missy Baldwin
Missy Baldwin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jamie Schwandt
Jamie Schwandt marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-its
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees--W: Western Region
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • I'll Be Short: Essentials for a Decent Working Society
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • La Comunicacion No Verbal/ The Nonverbal Communication (13/20)
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Living in the Environment: Principles, Connections, and Solutions (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac)
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Messages: The World's Most Documented Extraterrestrial Contact Story
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
Edward M. Hallowell is a child and adult psychiatrist who specialises in ADD/ADHD and who also has ADHD. He is the co-author of the book Delivered From Distraction. He also created The Hallowell Center for Cognitive and Emotional Health in Sudbury, MA. He is a Harvard alumnus and has been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 1983. He received his medical degree from Tulane University Med ...more
More about Edward M. Hallowell...