Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine

Relics: Travels in Nature's Time Machine

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
On any night in early June, if you stand on the right beaches of America’s East Coast, you can travel back in time all the way to the Jurassic. For as you watch, thousands of horseshoe crabs will emerge from the foam and scuttle up the beach to their spawning grounds, as they’ve done, nearly unchanged, for more than 440 million years.

Horseshoe crabs are far from the only c...more
Published October 31st 2011 by University Of Chicago Press (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Relics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relics

Nihal Engin
This book caught my eye in the bookstore. Just the quality of the image on the cover told me that it is worth reading. I have studied biology and although I specialized in biotechnology, I have always had a soft spot for evolution. The concept of this book, searching for evolutionary relics in different microenvironments around the world, is fascinating. Dr. Naskrecki is a wonderful photographer and a great scientist and it was a joy to read this book. As I said I have a biology training and sti...more
Fr. Ted
Fantastic photography. The narrative is very interesting mixed in with history, biology and Naskrecki's anecdotal experience. The complexity of life on earth and the variation leaves me marveling at how all of life unfolded. And with such thoughts as the "Butterfly effect" it is even more amazing so that so much diversity in life has appeared (and some disappeared) over the billions of years of the earth's existence. For me at least it all speaks of a Creator.
Chris
Great photography. The text was informative. Sad to learn "living fossils" don't really exist. Horseshoe crabs have kept the same morphology for 400 million years, but have evolved to adapt to different environments.
Sandy D.
Gorgeous photographs, but the text didn't grab me and pull me in the way I'd hoped. Not all scientists can write like Stephen Jay Gould, unfortunately.
François Dusoulier
This is a fantastic book! The best of its kind in naturalist field trip writing with absolutely gorgeous pictures.
gabrielle
The editor seems to have skipped huge swathes of the text, but this book is worth it for the pictures alone.
Nate
Beautiful.
Eri
Eri is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Timbo
Timbo added it
Aug 14, 2014
Connie
Connie added it
Jan 21, 2014
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Last Ranger
Last Ranger marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
John Lardee
John Lardee marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012
Atziri
Atziri marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2012
Tim Hahn
Tim Hahn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
The Smaller Majority Systematics And Host Plant Affiliations Of Hummingbird Flower Mites Of The Genera Tropicoseius Baker & Yunker And Rhinoseius Baker & Yunker (Acari: Mesostigmata: Ascidae) A Window on Eternity: A Biologist's Walk Through Gorongosa National Park Field Notes on Science and Nature A Rapid Biological Assessment of the Konashen Community Owned Conservation Area, Southern Guyana: RAP Bulletin of Biological Assesesment #51