Start by marking “The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)

The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  90 reviews
The much anticipated Winter Arts festival is here, and as treasurer of Winterfest, Lee is up to her elbows in mix-ups behind the scenes. When the art show's guest juror shows up drunk, Lee lets him sleep it off, only to find out later that someone's put the visiting dignitary into a permanent state of repose.

Lee and Joe were the last people spotted near the crime scene. In
Published October 1st 2009 by New American Library (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Snowman Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Snowman Murders

Larry Bassett
Sexual harassment and murder seem way out of place in a book that has been mostly frippery. But there is a body on page thirty-five. And another on page ninety-five.

When I compare this to the other books I am reading, I wonder what I am doing reading The Chocolate Snowman Murders. I must be in desperate need of a break from literature. Am I in no man’s land? Am I the only guy to have ever read this book? Maybe this is my way of exercising my feminine side. Or maybe just resting my brain.

This is
Kris
My first dip into the world of the Chocoholic Mystery Series, and my first Joanna Carl book. I really enjoyed it - so much that I finished it in one day!

As usual, I grabbed a book that was about halfway through the series, but it didn't really seem to matter. I got an idea of the characters and location pretty quickly. I loved the little history of chocolate notes, and I learned white chocolate isn't really considered chocolate at all. Too bad because I love white chocolate the best! As an added
Kayla
This is the first cozy mystery I've read and I really enjoyed it. I've only ever read suspenseful mysteries and I'm in love with the cozy ones now. Joanna Carl had me guessing who the murder was until the very last chapter. I didn't expect who it was but once it was revealed it all made sense. I can't wait to read another cozy by Joanna Carl.
Oddmonster
I hit the snowman with twenty pounds of chocolate.

Synopsis: She totally did. Then she had to run screaming through the snow like Jason XI: Jason Freezes His Tail Off.

When series heroine and chocolate entrepreneur Lee Woodyard agrees to sit on the board of the Warner's Pier, Michigan Winterfest, she's expecting a little bickering with the other board members and hopefully a lot of great publicity for the chocolate shop she runs with her great aunt. What she gets is, say it with me, a dead body. N
Annthelibrarian
In The Chocolate Snowman Murders by JoAnna Carl (9th in the “chocoholic” mysteries series) the main character is Lee McKinney, a transplanted Texan in western Michigan, who manages her aunt’s chocolate shop.The town of Warner Pier is getting ready for WinterFest, a Christmastime festival designed to help promote winter tourism in the town along Lake Michigan. Lee is on the planning committee, and is asked to pick up the out of town judge who’s coming to town to judge the art exhibit that’s part ...more
Andrea Kelly
In this installment of the Chocoholic Mysteries we find Lee on the board of the WinterFest Committee. Dedicated to making the picturesque Pier a tourist destination for the winter holidays, the members have worked hard planning a play, choir concerts, and even an art show set to be judged by well-known members of art circles across the country. But when one of their jurors turns up dead after making several passes at Lee, she and her new husband Joe find themselves the prime suspects!

My only cri
Terry
In Carl's winning eighth chocoholic mystery, Lee McKinney Woodyard, the business manager of TenHuis Chocolade, has agreed to serve as the treasurer for the annual Warner Pier, Mich., WinterFest. After a juror for the festival's art show cancels, Lee goes to the airport to pick up the replacement, who arrives obnoxiously drunk. When he turns up the next morning in his motel with his head bashed in, incriminating clues point to both Lee and her husband, Joe, as suspects. While Lee has a tiresome h ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
Like it happens sometimes, a fair handful of characters were introduced what seems like simultaneously. I inferred from that crowd that one of them was going to be the victim. It was fun right from the start to guess who it would be to die. The fun in this book stayed constantly. I thought Mozelle was the one to bite it. I was wrong. When the true victim appeared in the story, I had my doubts absolved. Here was a revolting chap, ideal and all fattened up - not only literally - for sacrifice.

I
Mark Baker
When Lee goes to pick up the judge for this year's Winter Festival, she finds him drunk and a real jerk. Dropping him off in a hotel room seems like the best idea, until he is found murdered with Lee as the prime suspect. This is the seventh in the series and will certainly please fans of light cozies.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Michele
I wasn't sure how this book was going to go...as always, I started with the first book in the series. My library did not have 6 and 7 so I wasn't sure about 8. It was great. There was enough recap that I didn't feel lost (I had read summaries of both books) and any details I missed were mentioned. At the same time, when reading the books in order, you don't feel like you are bogged down with past plot events.
Mary
Lee and her husband are on the Winter Fest Committee. Her husband agrees to pick up the replacement juror for the art show, but gets held up at his original commitment. He asks Lee to pick up Dr. Mendenhall from the airport and on the way back he gets amorous with Lee and she dumps him at a cheap motel along the highway and heads home and tries to get hold of others who might get him and bring him the rest of the way, but she doesn't have their numbers and others do not answer the phone. The jur ...more
Reenie Peppers
During Christmas break I usually treat myself with several holiday-themed cozy mysteries. I have read several of JoAnn Carl's mysteries over the years. I enjoy the interaction between her characters and her setting in a family owned chocolate shoppe. She also includes unusual trivia about chocolate, which I find interesting.
Debra
I usually do not read a lot of fiction, mainly nonfiction. But, I saw this at the library and I love chocolate. This is a great series. I love how the author gets you to know the community and the people who live there. I highly recommend it for a quick read. The chocolate trivia is an added bonus.
Redfox5
This is the third cosy mystery I've read, all have been Christmas themed and all of them I've read because of Bookcrossing. They've been on other peoples wishlists and I've not been able to resist reading them before sending them along in Christmas Exchanges.

I liked this one alot. I love the cover and it's the perfect read for the festive season, make sure you have some chocolate handy though because you will want to eat them everytime chocolate is mentioned. Thankfully, due to another Bookcros
Nor Finn
A decent cozy mystery. Nothing offended me greatly, which is rare. It does seem geared towards the baby boomer age group, totally pg-rated humor and writing (which I like but couldnt relate to her life). But, a tinge of sexism...she needs the man there for the important stuff (which was actually smart because those men were the police, but still). Also, this was the heroine's second marriage and she made it out to be perfect. Overall, her relationship with her husband bothered me at parts. But, ...more
Syrdarya
Lee and Joe are part of the WinterFest committee, which oversees a bunch of events including an art show which will be judged. Joe is scheduled to pick up an out-of-town judge for the art show, but when a conflict arises, Lee takes his place. Unfortunately the out-of-towner is a drunk who doesn't understand the word "no," and Lee dumps him at a cheap motel to sober up. When the man turns up dead, Lee and Joe become the main suspects. Lee scrambles to find the killer, who seems to want to frame L ...more
Tosha Sisler
This book certainly wasn't a master-piece but it did provide a nice easy-holiday-mystery-read. I didn't find the characters as endearing or compelling as some of the other popcorn series characters. This was partly because the main character wasn't flawed enough. Sure, she sometimes gets her tounge twisted under pressure which makes for some humorus scenes, but other than that she's almost model-esque. This might be because I have not read the previous novels in which she overcomes some trials t ...more
Anja Calabrese
It was ok,easy read,and perfect if you are looking for something "light",don't think i will read more in that series,as the characters are a little to bland for my taste.
Jan
This is the first book I've read in this series and I'll probably be recommending it to my friend who is an advid chocolate freak and lives in Grand Rapids so she'll probably enjoy the books. I've not warmed up to the characters as yet and, having worked for municipal government at a small village level, I can already tell you that the village attorney works much more than one day a week. I'm also pretty sure it's not "pitch dark" at five o'clock in Grand Rapids in December; dusk maybe, but not ...more
Joy
Chocolate makes a highly popular theme within the popular cooking mystery genre. THE CHOCOLATE SNOWMAN MURDERS is well written, fast paced, and easy for me to relate to. The death of an obnoxious, drunken official for the Christmas art show is not a grievous event except to the committee member who has worked hard to find a suitable juror. What I wondered at the end was, did the killer intend to kill off the entire committee to cover any knowledge that might be dangerous?

In my search among recen
Sharon Davies
Entertaining. I had just finished 2 WW2 themed books and needed something a little lighthearted. Enjoyable
Mayda
This Chocoholic Mystery series never disappoints! In this novel, both Lee and her husband find themselves ensnared in a murder investigation in which one of the detectives looks on them as his chief suspects. Things just get more complicated when Lee tries to understand the clues. For an entertaining read, complete with chocolate trivia that will have you flipping the pages even as you reach for the chocolate, you can’t do better than this. These engaging characters soon seem like old friends, a ...more
Tammy Amick dziecichowicz
Was just right for the holiday season, some Christmas mixed with murder!
Christine Ervin
My quick Christmas murder book! Light read for after a heavy murder book!
Tammy
Cute and fun read. Actually read this book on Dec 30th thru Jan.1st.
Linda
I am reading them in order. This one was easy to predict a 1/3 of the way in since the murderer gave away an important fact. I am enjoying the series though and I will continue to read them.
Karen Wilson
The story starts rather briskly with only one or two chapters before a truly despicable character is introduced, so it's no surprise he's the victim. As it turns out, he’s not the only one! There are clues “dropped” throughout the story that gives you hints as to who the murderer could be. I was shocked at the end to discover whom the murderer actually turned out to be!

I found this to be a good mystery with a fun plot and since I love chocolate, it was made all the better with its little chocola
Tammy
What a great read! It has action, a bit of romance and some fantastically funny moments. Read one in this series and you will be hooked.

This author reminds me a little of Janet Evanovich only because she is so brilliant and funny and her main character seems to both get herself into and out of trouble.

This was a great book that I couldn't put down and finished in a day.

If you are looking for a short but fantastic read then definitely pick up a JoAnna Carl and something from the Chocoholic Myster
judy
I know I've read several other cozies from this series and found them quite pleasant. They're not compelling enough that I actually seek them out but if the library displays one, I'll check it out. I'll admit I do like that they take place in a small resort town on Lake Michigan's eastern shore. Think south from Grand Haven. This particular book was not quite as much fun because the main characters are now in stress-free, supportive relationships. At this rate the series will move from cozy to f ...more
Tanis
I hate to say it, but after the last book I read, I need some action, adventure, and maybe even a corpse or two.
These books are great! I have four by JoAnna Carl in my collection now, and I'm not done collecting! I love her mysteries because it doesn't dwell too much on the murder - she's not graphic or gross or anything. But the story in this book was fantastic and suspenseful, and funny. I love her writing-style. She cracks me up. This ending was completely unexpected, which is always fun too.
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)
The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2) The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3) The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6) The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)