Start by marking “Antics!” as Want to Read:
Antics!

Antics!

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The wildly popular and inventive classic now in a gift edition!

The enchantingly witty alphabet book for word lovers of all ages is now available in a special gift edition!
Published September 29th 2003 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Antics!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antics!

Cassie Paries
Mar 16, 2015 Cassie Paries rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts
This book was a good book to teach about words that have the word "ant" in them. It is a good book for teaching children how to read and look for patterns. It is good for language arts. It also makes learning fun with the fun ant pictures. I thought it was very clever and witty. I enjoyed learning about all the words that have "ant" in them. I am horrible when it comes to spelling. Fortunately, this book helps with spelling because it breaks up the words using the familiar word "ant" it also tea ...more
Megan Miller
this is a concept book for older children. There is one descriptive word per page, and each page has a unique picture of an ant doing something human like. For example for the word "antique" the ant is dressed in a dress sitting on a rocking chair on a porch, crocheting, listening to a victrola. The pictures are really funny.
Jd Ehringer
This is another good book to help kids review the alphabet. The one think that I didn't like about this book is that the words were pretty complex so younger kids may not understand. Not a book I would use simply because we have seen other books that I personally believe are more suited to teach kids the alphabet.
Audrey
Mar 17, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
This book cracked me up. It took me a few pages to see that this ABC book had the word "ant" in every word (minus the Y page). I laughed many times, and my favorite page was the Pantaloons. This would be a great book to help children see the similar letter patterns in words.
Linda
Mar 19, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Clever, hilarious, great illustrations. This book came out in 1992 and I sure wish I'd discovered it then, when my kids were little. It's still a fun read. And I ant-icipate that you'll be involved with various verbal ant-ics after reading...
Erin
Nov 13, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 03-informational
This book was a very cute, clever way to teach the alphabet. It's the typical A-apple format, but it somehow included "ant" in each word, like "antics" for example. I enjoyed it, and each new ant word amused me.
Kathryn Brewer
Antics was a fun way to review the alphabet and for students to learn new words. It is more of an upper level elementary book, but could also be used in other grades too. I liked it and the repetition of the word "ant."
Bailee Sanders
This book was alright. The guessing game could be fun, however, the book is geared towards older students and I feel like they would not appreciate the book the way that it would be intended. I do like it for vocabulary though.
Jade Detzer
This is an alphabet book for upper elementary school students. The guessing game is interactive for the students to guess the word for the specific letter. This is great to introduce new vocabulary as well.
Devane
Mar 17, 2014 Devane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
This was a super cute and creative book. I thought it was best how each letter of the alphabet had ant in it. This would be a fun one to read with kids and then have them make an a-z alphabet that had a theme.
Sam Willis
Oct 16, 2014 Sam Willis rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fun book. It goes through the alphabet with different words that all have "ant" somewhere in it. You can try to guess what word it will be by the pictures so it's great for vocabulary and predicting. Some of the words even made me think for a while before I got them.
Meribeth
Clever alphabet book incorporates use of "ant" in each of the letters with accompanying illustrations. KANT is a stretch for "K." As is XANTHOPHILE, for X. This can work for third graders and up, but because of these two mentioned is difficult for younger ages, who typically would be most interested in ABC books. Still I do enjoy it!
Rachel
May 16, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the most creative ABC book I have ever seen! Each letter has a corresponding word that contains the word "ant." The illustrations that go with each of the words have ants who are acting out the word. The illustrations are very entertaining. I would not use this for very young children, though, because many of the words would be way too confusing for K-2nd graders. The youngest I would use this with would be 3rd because they are at a point where their vocabulary has grown enough ...more
Juliet
Nov 18, 2015 Juliet rated it really liked it
Shelves: 03-informational
Hahaha, I thought this book was really clever. Basically it's all about ants. The artwork is unique and it's a fun read.
Maddie
Oct 16, 2014 Maddie rated it really liked it
Antics was a good book. Would be great to engage students and teach them new words using the alphabet.
Tara
Apr 19, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is just a fun ABC book. The illustrations are fun and I just think Cathi Hepworth is incredibly clever. She got 26 words, one starting with each letter of the alphabet, that all included the word "ant" within it. Check out the letter D...it's my favorite!

This book could be used when teaching phonics. Since "ant" is included in every word, the book really reinforces the letter-sound relationship. Also, in words like "brilliant" or "jubilant" where ant sounds a little different, you can use t
Madison
Mar 12, 2015 Madison rated it liked it
Shelves: language-arts
Different words including the word "ant."
Haley Jhonshon
Dec 01, 2015 Haley Jhonshon rated it liked it
It was gay yo.
Natalie
Feb 23, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
First work of children's literature that I've come across that's referenced Kant.

Besides being groundbreaking, it's terribly clever being an alphabet book with one rule, every word has to contain the three letters A-N-T. Illustrations are equally funny and help define the words that aren't common in the early elementary student's vocabulary.

F is for Flamboyant and D is for Deviant :)
Sabrina
Oct 26, 2012 Sabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love unique alphabet books, and this one just might take the cake. (A true alphabet book test is to see what they came up with for 'x.') The pictures are great, the letter-associated words are unique, and every single one has the word 'ant' in it. The author struggled a bit with 'y,' but some of the other words she came up with are so great that I can almost let it slide.
Jessica
I liked this book because of its creativity. The word "ant" is found on every word in the book. However, some of the words are "iffy" such as the word for "z" (AntZzzzz) or for "y" (Your Ant Yetta). Also one of the words isn't even spelled correctly (the word for "r"- Rembrandt, the artist. In the book, it was spelled Rembrant. Good try.)
Darrielle
Apr 10, 2011 Darrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of the alphabet but may be a little advanced for emergent readers. The author usez clever word plat to expand readers' vocabulary on words that have "ant" as part of the word. The illustrations to depict the words make the book really and helps readers figure out possible meanings to words they are unfamiliar with.
Dolly
Nov 09, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008
A highly unusual and interesting Alphabet book with the word "Ant" in every word, from A to Z. The illustrations are equally interesting, incorporating Ants in poses that illustrate the word. Many of the words are more advanced than our girls are used to hearing, but the pictures help to explain the words.
Shawna
Nov 30, 2007 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-1st grade
Shelves: alphabet-books
I love that the creative take she has on alphabet books. YOu actualy have to spend time on the illustrations to find the letters as well. Perfect for a lesson on searching for the answer or for teachingthe alphabet creatively.
Leigh
Nov 14, 2010 Leigh rated it really liked it
Very fun - some big words for a 4 yo, but it invited more discussion and helped with sight reading (looking for the word "Ant" in the middle of the words in the book). A fun "topical" alphabet book!
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
using the alphabet children are exposed to words that inclued the word ant, many are difficult and conceptual but the pictures help explain the meaning of the words, and are quite funny.
Alexis
Nov 13, 2007 Alexis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1st-3rd
The ant alphabet. This book is a very creative way to introduce the alphabet to your students. A corresponding lesson about creating your own alphabet would go along great with this book.
Apr 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was on my weeding cart (of picture books that haven't gone out in 5 or more years), but it's HILARIOUS! It's a great ant-filled alphabet book. I think I'll rescue this one!
Gretchen
May 01, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too fun, too creative. Imagine taking a word ANT and combining it with other letters to make a new word-one for each letter of the alphabet and you would have this great book!
Heather Johnston
Dec 12, 2010 Heather Johnston rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Such a creative word builder. Would be a great resource to use and have kids do their own word building off of smaller words.

CO: 1992

• Anno's Counting Book
  • The Z Was Zapped
  • The Butterfly Alphabet
  • Alphabet City
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Up, Up and Away
  • Even More Parts (Parts, #3)
  • Frog Goes to Dinner