Start by marking “Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy

Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In this anthology for teen readers, fifteen best-selling and acclaimed authors--including Holly Black, Cecil Castellucci, Cassandra Clare, Eugie Foster, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, and Gregory Frost--weave all-new stories filled with magic. Comic and dark, epic and entertaining, these stories will introduce readers to the new voices of Mirrorstone beside the treasured favorites o ...more
Published February 12th 2008 by Mirrorstone

To ask other readers questions about Magic in the Mirrorstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic in the Mirrorstone

Beware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon DelanyMy True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie PerkinsGeektastic by Holly BlackZombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black21 Proms by David Levithan
Multi-Author YA Short Story Collections
46th out of 87 books — 28 voters
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle MeadShelby’s First Glimpse by Lauren Kate
Extras
109th out of 109 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Kit
Dec 18, 2014 Kit rated it really liked it
This was a very fun collection, that gave me a taste of several new authors:

Princess Bufo marinus, Also Known As Amy by Eugie Foster * * * *
A simple, but quite enjoyable, modern day The Princess and the Toad.

Lights, Camera, Action by Cecil Castellucci * * *
Movie magic & second chances rule the day in this brief, but fun, story!

Ten Thousand Waves by Ann Zeddies * *
This story started out with far more misery & hopelessness than I prefer. A Korean boy struggles to balance the world he live
Miriam
Aug 11, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it
The "Mirrorstone" of the title is a new imprint of Wizards of the Coast; most of the stories do not have mirrors or stones in them. As always with an anthology, I liked some stories more than others, but felt that overall they were quite good and original. Some seemed more like beginnings of novels than short stories, particularly Everyhope's "Old Crimes" and Sedia's "Out of her Element," which I would love to see as a full-length books.

My library copy is billed as YA, but I think adults would e
Kenzie
Jan 08, 2009 Kenzie rated it really liked it
This book was awesome. I would have rated it five stars, but the overall group didn't make that high. This book is really a bunch of short stories all mixed together in one. The editor said he had a reason behind arranging them in the manner that he did, though I don't believe he specified why.

Anyway, I LOVED a lot of these stories, but a few of them really turned me off. I'm not quite sure what seperated the ones I liked from the one's I didn't, but something did.

I can't go into details with ch
Crystal
hmmm. Why do authors seem to save up all their creepiest, most depressing stories and turn them into short stories? I don't know, but I'm finding that just because I enjoy an author's novels does NOT mean I will enjoy their short stories, and vice versa. Oh well. I enjoyed this more than the vampire story collection, despite an odd running theme of sibling sacrifice. a few of the stories were even pretty good. Also, the author bio blurbs at the end were funny, especially the editor's additional ...more
Jodi
Books of short stories are a great way to find new authors or have your curiosity piqued. These 15 stories manage to do that successfully. Authors like Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Cecil Castelluci as well as less familiar writers all contributed some sort of magic-laced story. The stories are not necessarily happy (and while I prefer happy-ending stories, this YA collection gets kudos for not doing it) though some are. Almost every story was memorable but none are tr ...more
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it liked it
Definitely YA, tho the concluding novella is a possible (long) readaloud for 5th graders. Some of the stories are stronger than others 13 this makes a reasonable introduction to the alternate-reality genre (for teens, at least).
David Caldwell
Apr 20, 2011 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories that is supposed to be geared toward younger(teenage)readers, but they should appeal to almost any age. The only thing that makes some of them be geared towards teenagers is that the characters are that age or are set in an environment rich with teenagers.Like most collections of short stories, it is hard to rate the overall book since the stories ranged from merely ok to really liked.There was not any stories that i did not like though and a majority of the ...more
Hillary
May 10, 2016 Hillary rated it liked it
Mariam
Jun 06, 2013 Mariam rated it it was ok
First thoughts going through my head?

I FINISHED IT, I FINISHED IT, I F*****G FINISHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I said it out loud once startling my baby sister. Poor kid.

Then I did a happy dance all around my room. I was THAT happy. Considering I've been reading this for a little over a month I think? I'm excited to finish this book of short stories. Thank GOD!

Because I have a lot of homework this week, I'll write a review later in the week. But man this book was SOO Boring!!!!

Edit; 6/6/13
I decided that
Katline
Mar 11, 2014 Katline rated it liked it
~It was okay. Some stories I enjoyed and others confused me. Some were sad, others left me wanting more. Maybe they'll continue those stories through another book.~
Kimi
Dec 24, 2012 Kimi rated it did not like it
What the hell? This is possibly the most uneventful collection of short stories I've ever read. In this entire book I don't think there was a single action scene, just beginnings of stories that never go anywhere. I just kept thinking "Hey this could be interesting... Nevermind." Nothing happens. Ever.

Tiffany Trent's Blackwater Baby probably had the most potential to become a story (that's actually the best compliment I can think of), but then it still ended up reading more like a prologue that
Kathy
Jun 21, 2016 Kathy added it
A collection of young-adult short stories that are quick and easy to get through, mostly enjoyable and interesting.
Elizabeth Gibson
May 19, 2014 Elizabeth Gibson rated it really liked it
Love it and have continued to love it for up to 5 years so far.
Jill
Sep 06, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
I don't know why some on here people didn't like it. I liked it! There were only a couple that weren't very interesting, but other than that, it was pretty cool! I can handle both short stories and long novels so it didn't bother me that there were no continuing chapters. It sort of reminded me of the twilight zone series with different stories every time.
lol even though i'm 16, i think i'd reccomend it for 'younger' teens like thirteen or even twelve. It caught my attention but apparently it
Clickety
Nov 09, 2008 Clickety rated it liked it
I'd been meaning to read this for a few days and finally settled in with it this morning. I think "School Spirit" is my favorite; it kept me guessing without being confusing or inconsistent. Many of them have the whole "be-careful" theme. "Virgin" was annoyingly depressing, but then I've gotten used to that from Holly Black. "Princess Bufo" was pretty much a straight retelling of the kiss-the-frog story; a few details were changed, but overall I was surprised at how close it stayed to the origin ...more
Donna
May 15, 2008 Donna rated it did not like it
I got halfway through and then couldn't finish. Some of the stories were really bad. Others were kinda clever & cute, or just okay. I sometimes felt like I was reading C-grade homework assignments from a creative writing class. The one that finally made me quite was a really bad Harry Potter rip-off filled with cliches and stereotypes.
Cecil Castellucci's "Lights, Camera, Action" and "The Jewel of Abandon" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman are the only ones I recommend.
Lola
Jan 06, 2016 Lola rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish it. Some of the writing was confusing, and I felt as though most of the stories lacked something.
Brianne
Mar 30, 2014 Brianne rated it liked it
3.5
Alyssa
Sep 29, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-rant
Best story: "Blackwater Baby" by Tiffany Trent
It really is a shame that Trent's Hallowmere series was cut short. I think this story was the history behind what would have been the sixth or seventh book, The Marsh King's Daughter

Good story: "The Jewel of Abandon" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

I didn't really like any of the others.
Kimberly Moeller
As a collection including several of my favorite fantasy writers (Cassandra Clare and Holly Black), and several fantastic new authors, this title was quite enjoyable. There were a few stories that I certainly liked more than others and would have rated higher, but also one or two that I would skip if reading it again.
Stacey
Mar 19, 2010 Stacey rated it liked it
A book of short stories I picked up just for Holly Black's entry, "Virgin." If I read it correctly, I may have an idea for NaNoWriMo, but if I read it incorrectly, I'd be copying shamelessly. Also decent were Cassandra Clare (surprisingly not as bad and fanfic-y as her books are, I've heard), and Nina Kiriki Hoffman.
Tabi Card
Oct 17, 2015 Tabi Card rated it liked it
Skimmed through most of the stories in here and really only read Cassandra Clare's and Holly Black's contributions. Middling tales really, and they really didn't jump out at me as being wow, this was amazing and I wish this was an entire novel, not a short story type.
Kara
Sep 29, 2008 Kara rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy
A pretty good mix of fantasy stories. The better ones suffered from the format - just when things got good it cut off. Hopefully, these authors will rework these short stories into novels to give them the scope they need to flesh out some of the intersting ideas tossed out here.
Robin
Feb 12, 2008 Robin rated it really liked it
This collection is really a nice mix, especially for fans of the current slate of Teen fantasy authors. It's a strong collection, and despite the fact that teens don't love short stories, this is one I think I might be able to convince teens to give a try.
Mirabelle
May 11, 2012 Mirabelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I barely got to the halfway mark. Some stories were cute, but the others were long and dull. I was skimming way more than I should have.

I did end up skipping over to Holly Black's story, which is the only one that I would really recommend.
Dakota
Jun 06, 2015 Dakota rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
Dear Dakota,
Never have I read a book with many authors' SHORT STORIES on magic. Worked very well.

SOME authors I like and MOST I don't.
By,
Dakota
P.S. I did FINISH THE BOOK. Mostly because most of the authors don't appeal to me.
Ryan
Jan 11, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
This is a collection of tales that contain some element of magic. Some are retellings of fairy tales, others simply contain magic - all have a young person of 15 as the main character. They are quite good, even those I liked less well.
Emily
Sep 06, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
The reason I only gave it two stars was because there where only a couple of stories that I liked. Some of them could have had more detail, and I know that the stories had to be edited, and others where weird and kind of cheesy.
Nicole
Apr 26, 2012 Nicole added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I mostly got this to read Pig, Crane, Fox before I read Fox and Phoenix. I read a few of the other stories, but they were going downhill fast for me so I gave up on it.
Robyne
Feb 08, 2016 Robyne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
This anthology started out with really interesting fantasy short stories. Unfortunately it went downhill from there and the tales started to get weird and hard to follow.
  • The Fair Folk
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • Returning My Sister's Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Dark Duets
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4)
  • Enchanted Forests
  • People of the Book: A Decade of Jewish Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Diverse Energies
  • Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • The Secret History of Fantasy
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr
More about Steve Berman...