Start by marking “Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy

Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In this anthology for teen readers, fifteen best-selling and acclaimed authors--including Holly Black, Cecil Castellucci, Cassandra Clare, Eugie Foster, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, and Gregory Frost--weave all-new stories filled with magic. Comic and dark, epic and entertaining, these stories will introduce readers to the new voices of Mirrorstone beside the treasured favorites o...more
Published February 12th 2008 by Mirrorstone

To ask other readers questions about Magic in the Mirrorstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic in the Mirrorstone

Harry Potter by J.K. RowlingThe Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle Mead
Extras
103rd out of 103 books — 86 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyMagic in the Mirrorstone by Steve Berman100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories by Martin H. Greenberg100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories by Al SarrantonioThe Twilight Zone by Richard Matheson
Eyes Wide Open
2nd out of 33 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
The "Mirrorstone" of the title is a new imprint of Wizards of the Coast; most of the stories do not have mirrors or stones in them. As always with an anthology, I liked some stories more than others, but felt that overall they were quite good and original. Some seemed more like beginnings of novels than short stories, particularly Everyhope's "Old Crimes" and Sedia's "Out of her Element," which I would love to see as a full-length books.

My library copy is billed as YA, but I think adults would e...more
Kit
This was a very fun collection, that gave me a taste of several new authors:

Princess Bufo marinus, Also Known As Amy by Eugie Foster * * * *
A simple, but quite enjoyable, modern day The Princess and the Toad.

Lights, Camera, Action by Cecil Castellucci * * *
Movie magic & second chances rule the day in this brief, but fun, story!

Ten Thousand Waves by Ann Zeddies * *
This story started out with far more misery & hopelessness than I prefer. A Korean boy struggles to balance the world he live...more
Kenzie
This book was awesome. I would have rated it five stars, but the overall group didn't make that high. This book is really a bunch of short stories all mixed together in one. The editor said he had a reason behind arranging them in the manner that he did, though I don't believe he specified why.

Anyway, I LOVED a lot of these stories, but a few of them really turned me off. I'm not quite sure what seperated the ones I liked from the one's I didn't, but something did.

I can't go into details with ch...more
Crystal
hmmm. Why do authors seem to save up all their creepiest, most depressing stories and turn them into short stories? I don't know, but I'm finding that just because I enjoy an author's novels does NOT mean I will enjoy their short stories, and vice versa. Oh well. I enjoyed this more than the vampire story collection, despite an odd running theme of sibling sacrifice. a few of the stories were even pretty good. Also, the author bio blurbs at the end were funny, especially the editor's additional...more
Jodi
Books of short stories are a great way to find new authors or have your curiosity piqued. These 15 stories manage to do that successfully. Authors like Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Cecil Castelluci as well as less familiar writers all contributed some sort of magic-laced story. The stories are not necessarily happy (and while I prefer happy-ending stories, this YA collection gets kudos for not doing it) though some are. Almost every story was memorable but none are tr...more
David Caldwell
This is a collection of short stories that is supposed to be geared toward younger(teenage)readers, but they should appeal to almost any age. The only thing that makes some of them be geared towards teenagers is that the characters are that age or are set in an environment rich with teenagers.Like most collections of short stories, it is hard to rate the overall book since the stories ranged from merely ok to really liked.There was not any stories that i did not like though and a majority of the...more
Mariam
First thoughts going through my head?

I FINISHED IT, I FINISHED IT, I F*****G FINISHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I said it out loud once startling my baby sister. Poor kid.

Then I did a happy dance all around my room. I was THAT happy. Considering I've been reading this for a little over a month I think? I'm excited to finish this book of short stories. Thank GOD!

Because I have a lot of homework this week, I'll write a review later in the week. But man this book was SOO Boring!!!!

Edit; 6/6/13
I decided that...more
Katline
~It was okay. Some stories I enjoyed and others confused me. Some were sad, others left me wanting more. Maybe they'll continue those stories through another book.~
Kimi
What the hell? This is possibly the most uneventful collection of short stories I've ever read. In this entire book I don't think there was a single action scene, just beginnings of stories that never go anywhere. I just kept thinking "Hey this could be interesting... Nevermind." Nothing happens. Ever.

Tiffany Trent's Blackwater Baby probably had the most potential to become a story (that's actually the best compliment I can think of), but then it still ended up reading more like a prologue that...more
Elizabeth Gibson
Love it and have continued to love it for up to 5 years so far.
Jill
I don't know why some on here people didn't like it. I liked it! There were only a couple that weren't very interesting, but other than that, it was pretty cool! I can handle both short stories and long novels so it didn't bother me that there were no continuing chapters. It sort of reminded me of the twilight zone series with different stories every time.
lol even though i'm 16, i think i'd reccomend it for 'younger' teens like thirteen or even twelve. It caught my attention but apparently it...more
Clickety
I'd been meaning to read this for a few days and finally settled in with it this morning. I think "School Spirit" is my favorite; it kept me guessing without being confusing or inconsistent. Many of them have the whole "be-careful" theme. "Virgin" was annoyingly depressing, but then I've gotten used to that from Holly Black. "Princess Bufo" was pretty much a straight retelling of the kiss-the-frog story; a few details were changed, but overall I was surprised at how close it stayed to the origin...more
Donna
I got halfway through and then couldn't finish. Some of the stories were really bad. Others were kinda clever & cute, or just okay. I sometimes felt like I was reading C-grade homework assignments from a creative writing class. The one that finally made me quite was a really bad Harry Potter rip-off filled with cliches and stereotypes.
Cecil Castellucci's "Lights, Camera, Action" and "The Jewel of Abandon" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman are the only ones I recommend.
Alyssa
Best story: "Blackwater Baby" by Tiffany Trent
It really is a shame that Trent's Hallowmere series was cut short. I think this story was the history behind what would have been the sixth or seventh book, The Marsh King's Daughter

Good story: "The Jewel of Abandon" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

I didn't really like any of the others.
Kimberly Moeller
As a collection including several of my favorite fantasy writers (Cassandra Clare and Holly Black), and several fantastic new authors, this title was quite enjoyable. There were a few stories that I certainly liked more than others and would have rated higher, but also one or two that I would skip if reading it again.
Stacey
A book of short stories I picked up just for Holly Black's entry, "Virgin." If I read it correctly, I may have an idea for NaNoWriMo, but if I read it incorrectly, I'd be copying shamelessly. Also decent were Cassandra Clare (surprisingly not as bad and fanfic-y as her books are, I've heard), and Nina Kiriki Hoffman.
Kara
A pretty good mix of fantasy stories. The better ones suffered from the format - just when things got good it cut off. Hopefully, these authors will rework these short stories into novels to give them the scope they need to flesh out some of the intersting ideas tossed out here.
Robin
This collection is really a nice mix, especially for fans of the current slate of Teen fantasy authors. It's a strong collection, and despite the fact that teens don't love short stories, this is one I think I might be able to convince teens to give a try.
Mirabelle
I barely got to the halfway mark. Some stories were cute, but the others were long and dull. I was skimming way more than I should have.

I did end up skipping over to Holly Black's story, which is the only one that I would really recommend.
Ryan
This is a collection of tales that contain some element of magic. Some are retellings of fairy tales, others simply contain magic - all have a young person of 15 as the main character. They are quite good, even those I liked less well.
Emily
The reason I only gave it two stars was because there where only a couple of stories that I liked. Some of them could have had more detail, and I know that the stories had to be edited, and others where weird and kind of cheesy.
Nicole
Apr 26, 2012 Nicole added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I mostly got this to read Pig, Crane, Fox before I read Fox and Phoenix. I read a few of the other stories, but they were going downhill fast for me so I gave up on it.
Margaret
Read "Mauve's Quilty", "The Amulet of Winter", "Blackwater Baby", "The Fortunate Dream", "Out of Her Element", and "Pig, Crane, Fox: Three Hearts Unfolding". Skip the rest.
Brenna
This was so, so bad. The one reason I wanted to read it, was for Holly Black's short story and of course I had already read it in The Poison Eaters. The worst.
Cara
Some of the stories were really good, and others were not very good at all. I didn't recognize very many of the authors, but overall it was a good read.
Amy
Mostly it was good fantasy, but some of it was weaker than others. I could tell that it was meant for an adolescent crowd with a short attention span.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
No so crazy about this book. I bought for the Holly Black story. I like hers and Nikki Kiriki Hoffman's the best. The others were just okay.
Some really good stories in this one--lots of variety. Only a few I couldn't get into.
Bree.
Jan 27, 2009 Bree. marked it as to-read
I want to read this book!
It doesn't sell anymore in Australia!
  • The Fair Folk
  • Faery
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • Wings of Fire
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr...more
More about Steve Berman...
Vintage: A Ghost Story So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction Trysts: A Triskaidecollection of Queer and Weird Stories Wilde Stories 2011: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction Wilde Stories 2012: The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction