Start by marking “All for Pie, Pie for All” as Want to Read:
All for Pie, Pie for All

All for Pie, Pie for All

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In this merry, multi-species story cooked up with folksy warmth and humor, everybody gets a piece of the pie — and then some.

Grandma Cat makes a delicious apple pie, and there's plenty for everyone — and even a piece left over. Grandma Mouse finds a piece of apple pie, and there's plenty for everyone — and even crumbs left over. Grandma Ant spies some crumbs of apple pie,
Published August 8th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about All for Pie, Pie for All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All for Pie, Pie for All

Sylvester
Oct 05, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was amazing
8* art
5* story

Okay. I admit I love ANY book that Valeri Gorbachev illustrates. He's amazing. The pictures of Grandma cat baking are the coziest, warmest pictures in the world. But the story is good too - sharing, not wasting, cooking together, eating pie, having naps - honestly, what could be better? Squirt kept saying "Pie! Deeeeyishus!" (He has trouble with his L's.)
Wanda
Oct 04, 2015 Wanda marked it as to-read
Recommended to Wanda by: Squirt/Sylvester
4 OCT 2015 - need to read this one because Sylvester's little boy, Squirt, says "Pie! Deeeeyishus!" and I agree,
Whitney Strickland
Feb 01, 2011 Whitney Strickland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship
The first time I read this book out loud was to a Pre-K class and they really were inspired by the story. This is a great book about sharing but also can be used when teaching children about apples and their many uses. Following the read aloud the class did an activity where we listed all the different uses of apples. following that we played a game that involved holding up paper apples when we hear ours called. This was great for assessing following directions. so as you can see this book foste ...more
Josie B.
Nov 11, 2015 Josie B. rated it really liked it
Autumn whispers pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and my Dad's beloved minced meat pie. So for my Thanksgiving family storytime, I needed a picture book about pie that the youngest listeners could sit still for. This one is so simple, you think the older kids will be bored, but they won't be...not if you read with your kitten and mouse and ant voices. After reading this, mime making pumpkin pie to this song/chant:

Pumpkin, Pumpkin Pie Yummy (Sung To Peanut, Peanut Butter and Jelly)

First you take the p
Haley Altizer
All for Pie, Pie for All, written by David Martin is about how one day grandma cat decided to make an apple pie. The entire cat family ate a piece until only one piece was left. Then decided to take a nap. The mice in the house smelt the pie and decided to split the last piece into six pieces. When the mice were done, there were six crumbs left. The ants of the house decided to eat the last six crumbs. The pie was all gone. When grandma cat awoke she was hungry for some pie. She decided to make ...more
Amy Forrester
Sep 16, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
One day Grandma Cat makes an apple pie that just seems to keep on giving. The cat family eats five pieces, leaving one piece on the table. The mice family divides that piece into six smaller pieces. They eat five and leave one on the table. Finally, a family of ants appears and they further divide that small piece into six crumbs and every single one is eaten. It’s a good thing Grandma decides to bake another pie and this time all the kids, feline, mouse, and insect, help out.

Martin’s text is b
Kris Bagley
Sep 08, 2015 Kris Bagley rated it it was amazing
All for Pie, Pie for All by David Martin is a wonderful story of a cat family, that made a apple pie and then had just a little left to share. A great story for examples of kindness and sharing for little ones. All of my children enjoyed this book, along with the wonderful illustations!
Alice
Dec 04, 2014 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 Stars This is a pie food chain book. The cats make the pie..take a name...the mice get some pieces eat it and take a nap, the ants come and eat the crumbs...and then...you guessed it take a nap! Then when the cat awake...they want more pie and so the cat, the mice and the ants all help.

Team work, someones crumb is another mans dessert! I don't love the pictures but still a fun one!
Feb 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bulletin
Shelves: kids, picturebook
A brief and sweet story of how one pie gets eaten and another gets made. As we change viewpoints from family to family the perspective in the illustrations also changes so that the toys from one family become giant in the eyes of the next. The simple but engaging text will work well for read-alouds and includes many opportunities for audience participation - as each family naps, children will love to snore and the whole group will want to join in the call for another pie that leads to the end of ...more
Paula
Grandma Cat bakes an apple pie that is heartily enjoyed by her family as well as the Mouse and Ant families that live nearby.
Asho
This is a cute little story about a Grandma Cat who makes a pie and shares it with her family, who leaves one piece behind. That piece is shared by mice, who leave a few crumbs behind, and those crumbs are then shared by a family of ants. It would be a nice story to introduce concepts of sharing and of size. It's also short and repetitive, so good for a little one at bedtime. I wish I found the illustrations a bit more compelling, though. They were sort of Richard Scarry-ish but dark, if that ma ...more
Katherine Cowley
Dec 06, 2012 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
One of the best picture books I've read all year, a story about Grandma Cat making making pie. It's eaten by the cats, then the mice, then the ants. With fun repetitions and beautiful illustrations with folksy pictures and warm brown tones, this is perfect book for pie making season (fall and winter) and one that I've read to my daughters again and again. I especially like making different voices for the different sorts of animals, and I like the "building numbers" element. And of course, the la ...more
Elanor
May 26, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation

Grandma cat makes a delicious apple pie, and there;s plenty for everyone and evan a piece left over. Grandma Mouse finds a piece of apple pie, and there's plenty foor everyone and even crumbs left over. Grandma Ant spies some crumbs of apple pie, and there's plenty for everyone.

Bold, colorful, playful illustration are a great addition to this story about sharing.
Melanie
Mother Cat makes a pie and everyone has a piece. There is only one piece left. Then the Mouse family comes and takes most of that piece and there are crumbs left. The Ant family comes and takes the crumbs. When the Cat family wake up, Mother Cat says she's hungry. Should she bake another pie? Yes! is the unanimous response from her family and the Mouse family and the Ant family.
Katie
Oct 09, 2007 Katie added it
Shelves: used-at-work
My first graders love this story, and it's a great tie-in to their in-class fall unit on apples. The repetition is catchy, and the illustrations are wonderful. There are a lot of clues on the front and back cover to help students guess how the story is going to turn out.
Erin
May 27, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were lively and very fun and I liked the sharing sentiment told within. A fun and lighthearted tale for pie lovers and those who admire all of mother earth's creatures.
Glenn Kennedy
Mar 30, 2013 Glenn Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, love, family
This is a good book to teach students abut sharing. Everyone got a piece of the pie. That will hopefully teach students that as they get older that everyone deserves a piece of the pie.
Danielle Simmons
This was such a good book. It is so loving and ties together families that are different. This is a gat waybtonteachbsharing and love.nthe pictures were great.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jul 27, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The story of a pie that gets eaten by more than just the cat family. This is a sweet story of something enjoyed by many! A great kids book!
Colleen
Apr 06, 2013 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Repetition. For use in storytime themes of cat/mouse/ant. And of course, food. Fuzzy pictures with dark colors. Not great for storytime.
Kendra
Feb 27, 2013 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought it was cute definitely a straight to the point book. Could help with someone teaching about sharing possibly...???
Sharon
Mar 10, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
One man's crumbs is another man's meal. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be in a space where one really is for all and all is for one!
Mary
Feb 20, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Oh, I am SO craving apple pie after reading this! A nice story for food-themed storytime. Everyone gets some pie!
Annabelle
Jun 17, 2008 Annabelle rated it it was amazing
i liked this book because everybody got to share the pie, even the crumbs!
Beth
Jun 30, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sharing is important and this book sees how the pie worked for all characters.
Gray
May 11, 2012 Gray rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this one more than you, but you thought it wasn't bad.
Teri
Nov 28, 2010 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving, fall
Fun. Also a nice beginning reader because of the repetition.
Molly
Oct 16, 2013 Molly rated it really liked it
Cute book, a la Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree.
Lindsay
cats, mice, ants, food, fractions, addition
  • Lunch
  • The Apple Pie Tree
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Thelonius Monster's Sky-High Fly-Pie
Readers of David Martin's books won't be surprised when they meet the author and find that he is just as entertaining as his books - he sings, plays the guitar or the kazoo, or even juggles during his school visits. As David Martin says, "I have never minded particularly making a fool of myself," so he is never at a loss to illustrate his points or to make a connection with the kids. In his intera ...more
More about David Martin...