Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)

Spellcaster (Spellcaster #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,362 ratings  ·  382 reviews
When Nadia’s family moves to Captive’s Sound, she instantly realizes there’s more to it than meets the eye. Descended from witches, Nadia senses a dark and powerful magic at work in her new town. Mateo has lived in Captive’s Sound his entire life, trying to dodge the local legend that his family is cursed - and that curse will cause him to believe he’s seeing the future …...more
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published March 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
81st out of 1,419 books — 9,860 voters
Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
36th out of 842 books — 1,942 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Unlike many of my friends, I quite liked this author's Evernight series, which was filled with surprises and interesting relationships (and not just romantic ones). It's disappointing to find this novel, about a young witch named Nadia, to be so very predictable, lacking in excitement, and fairly cookie cutter in its PNR plot. DNF at 210 pages.

Worst of all, though--four third person (non-omniscient) POVs, with at least one bonus page from a bird's perspective. :-/ Bleh.

Still like this author,...more
kari
Apr 01, 2013 kari rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, ya
This feels very unfinished. Yes, I know, there is more to the story because it is the first in a series, but there is almost not any ending and I don't like that. Each book in a series should be a complete and satisfying read, in my opinion and this is just not.
The characters are interesting, but perhaps it has two many viewpoints because the story feels choppy and disjointed, jumping from this view to that view.
And there seemed to be a very big plot hole. (view spoiler)...more
Crystal
This was a very pleasant surprise. I have seen a few reviews go up that weren’t that encouraging but after about 100 pages in I was hooked. I won’t say that this was the greatest book ever written or that it tops Gray’s Evernight series, but Spellcaster did hold my attention and honestly a reader can’t ask for more than that..

Spellcaster was very different than what I was expecting. Nadia was definitely an interesting character and Gray’s take on magic is one that I haven’t seen before. I am use...more
Shaylee
Feb 27, 2012 Shaylee marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-books
From an interview with Claudia Gray:

What are you working on next?

Right now I'm finishing final revisions on SPELLCASTER, the first book of a witchcraft-based trilogy coming from HarperTeen starting March 2013. It's the story of Nadia (a character who keeps changing names on me) -- a young witch who has been abandoned by her mother, and teacher in the Craft, just as she's on the verge of coming into her power. So not only is she trying to deal with this emotional loss and her family's rough trans...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Nadia is moving to a new town with her father and brother after her mother left them. Once there she feels a dark presence beneath the school chemistry labs, but without her mother she never finished training as a witch, and doesn’t know quite what she’s capable of.
Meanwhile, Mateo – a boy in the town who is known to be part of a cursed family, has been seeing Nadia in his dreams and is worried that it means he is succumbing to the curse.
What lurks beneath the...more
Rachel
I loved this book the first time I read it, I loved it even more the second time. It's such a wonderful story with three fantastic characters and one seriously evil character. Claudia Gray is a hugely talented writer and creates stories that are so addictive. And SPELLCASTER is so very easy to get caught up in.

In this second read of a finished copy, I picked up on so many more of the subtle hints, foreshadowing, that I missed when racing through the ARC the first time around. And it made it that...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
I don’t think I will ever get tired of reading about witches and demons. I still watch CHARMED on TNT practically every day. I love it! SPELLCASTER is the first in a brand new series by Claudia Gray and it does not disappoint. It’s filled with plenty of magical moments, a light romance, friendships, and it’s also very suspenseful.

The story kicks off with Nadia moving to a new town with her family and being the newbie at school. I immediately thought of hundreds of YA books that start off this w...more
Katie (Books and Katie)
On My Blog: Books and Katie

Nadia sat back. "You know I'm telling you the truth about how dangerous it is."
"Yeah. I do. Want to protect the people you love. I do, too. But we fall apart or we stand together, right?"

Rating: ★★★

Summary:

Nadia was born with the ability to use magic. Her mother, a trained witch, was teaching her the tricks of the trade. Nadia had hopes of becoming the most powerful witch she could possibly be and everything was looking bright, until her mother up and left the family a...more
the golden witch.
I tried with this one, you guys, I really did. I really enjoyed Gray's previous effort, "Fateful", and I have yet to read her debut series, but I was definitely hoping for more than what I got in this first book of her new trilogy, "Spellcaster". And while some of the technical areas weren't too bad at all, the rest desperately needed work. If you're looking for something new and fresh in the PNR area of things in YA, you might want to look elsewhere.

Did anyone else get a very, very STRONG feeli...more
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
The cover of this book mesmerized me the minute I first saw it. That blue flame poised on the girl's hand, the way she's totally focusing on it....I immediately wanted to find out more!

The story started me off on the edge of my seat. Nadia Caldani, the protagonist, is a young woman traveling from Chicago with her father and little brother. They are headed to the fictional town of Captive's Sound, which, from the descriptions in the novel, appears to be located somewhere in the northeastern part...more
Abbie
Spellcaster had quite a few dull bits.

It had a large dull bit at the beginning, which didn't end until about halfway.
When it finally got interesting at that point, it didn't last for long.
The second half seemed to do a lot of that. There would be a slow patch, and then it would get interesting, but then after a few pages it would start to get boring again.

The characters were okay, but sometimes they could be annoying.

Overall, slow and boring.
I felt relieved when the end came.
Carolina Riojas
Ooohhhmyyyy! I have to read it!
Melissa
I had fun with this book. I really enjoyed Nadia as our heroine and Mateo as our hero. In fact, I really loved Mateo... he was the broken hero who comes through despite the consequences. I also enjoyed the other minor characters in this book. All had their place and some, like her little brother, were quite cute.

There were parts of this book that is typical YA. No love triangle so that is a huge plus. :) However, you do have a girl who is just learning her powers coming up against something unfa...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Magic and mystery mingle in a small New England town in Claudia Gray’s SPELLCASTER, the first book in a planned trilogy that is sure to enthrall readers. One of the big attractions has to be the magic system which is incredibly cool and unlike any I’ve ever read before. Nadia doesn’t mix potions over a cauldron or recite Latin incantations, her spells require specific emotions. For example, the first spell she casts calls for:

Terror so great it paralyze...more
Paola (A Novel Idea)
Originally posted at Novel Idea Reviews

RATING: 2/5 Stars

This was an underwhelming read for me. From the synopsis, I guess I was expecting something more. At the very least, it seemed like there wouldn’t be an aggravating love triangle to deal with. And no, there isn’t a love triangle in this book, but then again there’s not much of anything else going on either. Everything that could potentially have been compelling always seemed to fall short, and neither the characters nor their relationships...more
Book Sushi
when reading this book, i kept on getting a de ja vu kind of feeling with the story line. its sort of a cross between Beautiful Creatures and another book i just cant put my finger on.

We meet Nadia who is a witch, her mom left the family so Nadia has no-one to guide her in learning about her powers. They get into an accident and she gets saved by Mateo. Mateo is cursed like his family before him to see visions which will undoubtebly make him go loopy and commit suicide.

Nadia starts uncovering t...more
Nancy Kelley
I picked this book up after hearing the author speak on the #pitchdarkdays tour. The system of magic sounded unique and intriguing, enough to get me to buy a book I hadn't heard of until that night. I started reading when I got home and only stopped because I was literally too tired to keep my eyes open any longer. Then I picked it up today and read straight through to the end.

So, what makes it a great book? First, the magic IS unique and intriguing. Instead of words, the spells are formed by me...more
Howdy YAL
To see full review click here.

Claudia Gray books are like guilty pleasures for me. I know they're not the greatest, and God they use YA's tropes like there's no tomorrow. But they're enjoyable enough. It's like mind candy. You know it's bad for you, but somehow you can't help but indulge. Unfortunately though, I kind of got a brain belly ache from Spellcaster.

Okay, it's not awful. It's actually quite enjoyable once you get past a few things. Though not everyone's going to get past these things e...more
Jennifer McCoy, YA Sisterhood
Spellcaster by Claudia Gray
ARC received from Harper Teen
Release Date: 3-5-2012
Reviewed by: Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say: Enchanting, Enigmatic, and Ethereal

For Nadia, magic is real. All she has to do is come up with 3 memories that serve as ingredients to call on her gift. If you are a fan of Claudia Gray, don’t miss out on this new series. It has all the ingredients for a magical book:

Magic breaking free
Evil encompassing all
Love ever enduring

Claudia Gray has created a world that will spellbou...more
Cristina
Spellcaster es la historia de una bruja en entrenamiento que se muda a un pequeño pueblo infestado de magia y de secretos.

El tema de la historia es suficientemente interesante, y la trama me mantuvo pegada a las páginas hasta terminar el libro. Tampoco me quitó el sueño: cerca a las 12 pm decidí que era hora de dormir, y no tuve ningún problema dejando el libro. Aunque lo primero que hice al levantarme en la mañana fue volver a tomarlo, así que se gana al menos medio punto en este criterio.

La pr...more
Annette
Ok so I really loves Claudia Gray's other series But man Spellcaster was a rough read! I knew exactly what was happening & going to happen from the moment I found out who the "bad guy" was & what he/she was planning to do! There was no mystery at all, totally predictable. Not even a crazy plot twist at the end. So it's really hard to give a synopsis of this book without giving away the whole plot because it's pretty straightforward.
Basically, theres a teen witch who lives with her dad &...more
Kate
**WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD**

Claudia Gray, the author of the fantastic Evernight series. So naturally, I have high expectations.

That were irrevocably let down.

Insta love? No. No thank you. This concept should have a major 'GO BACK' sign when authors decide upon using it. Possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read when it occurs in books.

To be honest I had no idea what nationality the characters were. Like at one point Mateos was referred to as being 'not white' but that was all we got. I mean...more
♥ ĸαяα ♥
Oookay.

So. This was can be summed up in one word: disappointing. From Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series, I really was expecting more. I was actually shocked to find that the novel pretty much opened up with the main character staring at a new school. Yes, you read that correctly. Now, I don't know about you--but I thought the days of this overused cliche was over. Apparently not. Unfortunately, from here, I was thrown into a story with unlikeable/not very well developed characters, an...more
Lucy+Love
Book # 49 for 2014

It reminds me of that TV series "Charmed", with the whole Victorian-style house and the charms, crystals and that Book of Shadows. It's a dead ringer to the TV series.

Anyway, this one's good to read. It's also refreshing because the Female protagonist (Nadia) already knew what she was and didn't magically/surprisingly come into power on her 17th birthday or something. She was raised as a witch by her mom and also trained so she basically was a badass from the start of the book....more
Sunny A
Unlike the majority of people, I found Spellcaster quite enjoyable and somewhat refreshing. I came in with low expectations and no previous knowledge of her Evernight series. I haven't read many books based on witches and I found it really interesting and new. It had me hooked and I gobbled it right up! It's not a favourite but a great Halloween read and I can't wait for book two. I was pleasantly surprised.
Emily Mead
You can read my full review, complete with awesome GIFs, here.

I went into this book with low expectations. Some of these were because of my sister. But I’m learning not to listen to my sister (she has red hair. Obviously she can’t be trusted). She’s probably reading this, actually.

ANYWAY. Mostly I’m not a fan of one-word titles. They don’t tell you much about the book, you know? I like the title of the second book (Steadfast) since it relates hugely, but without context I wouldn’t have known tha...more
Erica Alyson
There is something about this book that didn't quite do it for me. I liked the concept and everything but it felt overly long. I LOVE long books but this felt a little drawn out. I have read a few caster books but I just couldn't fully get into and it didn't help that I just didn't really 100% care for that characters. It is not back, it is just not really for me.
Caitlings
I enjoyed this one. I felt it had a lot of telling instead of showing but other than that it was entertaining and had an interesting magic system and I liked the characters and all the layers of mystery.

Not fabulous, but I enjoyed it.

Proper review to come.
Mary Windmüller
I think this book was solid and really interesting to read. There are a few twists and the resolution is satisfactory. I'm glad that Claudia Gray keeps on writing awesome stories. I'll read the next one and hopefully she would stay away from love triangles.
Fatin Lea
i really like the storyline and how each character develop together. the element of witchcraft is also very interesting, especially the ingredients part, where witches, like, need to recall their past experiences to cast a spell.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Spellcaster (Spellcaster #1) By Claudia Gray---> Restarting March 10th, 2014 33 32 Mar 10, 2014 03:23PM
What did you think of this book? 8 35 Jun 10, 2013 11:19AM
The Evernight Ser...: Spellcaster giveaway 1 7 Mar 05, 2013 09:20AM
Evernight Series: Spellcaster giveaway 1 3 Mar 05, 2013 09:19AM
  • The Gathering Dark
  • Furious
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Chantress (Chantress, #1)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • Let the Sky Fall (Let the Sky Fall, #1)
  • Hidden (Avena, #1)
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
  • Earthbound (Earthbound, #1)
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place, #1)
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Poison
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
  • The Dead and Buried
1192311
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual...more
More about Claudia Gray...
Evernight (Evernight, #1) Stargazer (Evernight, #2) Hourglass (Evernight, #3) Afterlife (Evernight, #4) Fateful

“Hurting someone you loved was even worse than being hurt. That stayed with you longer, and weighted you down all through the night into dawn.” 4 likes
“No men ever, you said." Verlaine leaned across the table, peering at him. "Mateo, are you maybe-well-transgender? Intersex? No prejudice here. Just support."
Mateo would have started thudding his face against the table in frustration if his pizza hadn't been in the way. "I'm a guy."
"We'll take your word for it.”
3 likes