Start by marking “Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spellcaster (Spellcaster, #1)

Spellcaster (Spellcaster #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,534 Ratings  ·  624 Reviews
When Nadia’s family moves to Captive’s Sound, she instantly realizes there’s more to it than meets the eye. Descended from witches, Nadia senses a dark and powerful magic at work in her new town. Mateo has lived in Captive’s Sound his entire life, trying to dodge the local legend that his family is cursed - and that curse will cause him to believe he’s seeing the future … ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published March 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
89th out of 1,520 books — 10,834 voters
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
30th out of 1,036 books — 2,326 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Unlike many of my friends, I quite liked this author's Evernight series, which was filled with surprises and interesting relationships (and not just romantic ones). It's disappointing to find this novel, about a young witch named Nadia, to be so very predictable, lacking in excitement, and fairly cookie cutter in its PNR plot. DNF at 210 pages.

Worst of all, though--four third person (non-omniscient) POVs, with at least one bonus page from a bird's perspective. :-/ Bleh.

Still like this author,
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
A magical adventure that is complete with a villain and rich in diversity. Spellcaster by Claudia Gray is an amazing fantasy novel that will satisfy its readers, yet leave them hungry for more.

One of my favourite things about Spellcaster is the villain, Elizabeth. Normally, readers don’t read about villains described so well that they develop a strong hatred towards that character. Claudia Gray does just this in her gripping young adult fantasy. Gray does such a phenomenal job of creating such w
kari
Apr 01, 2013 kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 2013
This feels very unfinished. Yes, I know, there is more to the story because it is the first in a series, but there is almost not any ending and I don't like that. Each book in a series should be a complete and satisfying read, in my opinion and this is just not.
The characters are interesting, but perhaps it has two many viewpoints because the story feels choppy and disjointed, jumping from this view to that view.
And there seemed to be a very big plot hole. (view spoiler)
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
The cover of this book mesmerized me the minute I first saw it. That blue flame poised on the girl's hand, the way she's totally focusing on it....I immediately wanted to find out more!

The story started me off on the edge of my seat. Nadia Caldani, the protagonist, is a young woman traveling from Chicago with her father and little brother. They are headed to the fictional town of Captive's Sound, which, from the descriptions in the novel, appears to be located somewhere in the northeastern part
Colleen Houck
Oct 28, 2014 Colleen Houck added it
Shelves: witches
Love the hero in this story and the whole idea of a steadfast. The villain was really nasty too which I enjoy a lot. Really like exploring the different powers a witch can have. So curious about the mom and why she left.
Crystal
Mar 03, 2013 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a very pleasant surprise. I have seen a few reviews go up that weren’t that encouraging but after about 100 pages in I was hooked. I won’t say that this was the greatest book ever written or that it tops Gray’s Evernight series, but Spellcaster did hold my attention and honestly a reader can’t ask for more than that..

Spellcaster was very different than what I was expecting. Nadia was definitely an interesting character and Gray’s take on magic is one that I haven’t seen before. I am use
Caisee
"You scare me, and I'm from Hell"
Spellcaster is a book about a young, inexperienced witch called, Nadia. After her mother ditches her, her brother and their father; Nadia and her family are distraught and move to Captives Sound to "start fresh." As they arrive at Captives Sound, a magical barrier reacts to Nadia's own Book of Shadows and causes their car to crash into a lake. Enter Mateo. The hunk with sad eyes who saves Nadia from drowning in the lake. Instant love and attraction. *eye roll.*
Ma
Haraiah Eve
Jun 10, 2015 Haraiah Eve rated it it was ok
I couldn't make myself care for the characters or the story. Reading the book feels like I'm just going through the motions. It's superficial. And flat. The story, the writing, the characters aren't very remarkable. It doesn't have a great worldbuilding. Romance is meh. Cheesy. The witchcraft is meh.

FULL REVIEW http://haraiah.blogspot.com/2015/06/r...
Noel
find another version of this review on my blog post: http://thewordsthatbindus.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/spellcaster-by-claudia-gray/

**SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

My first book by this author... not too promising? This book is rated anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 stars, depending on what exactly we're talking about.

The sad thing is, I was pretty disappointed by this book. Even sadder is that I'm not that surprised either. Maybe it's because it seemed like one of those typical YA storylines: girl mo
Patchis Books
Mar 29, 2016 Patchis Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
INHALT
Das Böse kommt – in Captive's Sound ist es ganz nah …
Ein Junge, der von dunklen Visionen gequält wird. Ein Mädchen mit der magischen Gabe, ihn zu retten. Das Böse, das sie beide vernichten will.
Mateos Visionen bringen ihn fast an den Rand des Wahnsinns. Es ist ein dunkler Familienfluch, der seine Mutter in den Tod getrieben hat und nun auch ihm zum Verhängnis werden könnte. Immer wieder sieht er in seinen Träumen ein schönes, sterbendes Mädchen … und jetzt ist dieses Mädchen wirklich da!
Cecilia
Sep 18, 2015 Cecilia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
It was okay, but I don't think I will continue with the series.

Read my whole review at Book Obsession.
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Nadia is moving to a new town with her father and brother after her mother left them. Once there she feels a dark presence beneath the school chemistry labs, but without her mother she never finished training as a witch, and doesn’t know quite what she’s capable of.
Meanwhile, Mateo – a boy in the town who is known to be part of a cursed family, has been seeing Nadia in his dreams and is worried that it means he is succumbing to the curse.
What lurks beneath the
Rachel
Feb 24, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review
I loved this book the first time I read it, I loved it even more the second time. It's such a wonderful story with three fantastic characters and one seriously evil character. Claudia Gray is a hugely talented writer and creates stories that are so addictive. And SPELLCASTER is so very easy to get caught up in.

In this second read of a finished copy, I picked up on so many more of the subtle hints, foreshadowing, that I missed when racing through the ARC the first time around. And it made it that
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 18, 2013 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Magic and mystery mingle in a small New England town in Claudia Gray’s SPELLCASTER, the first book in a planned trilogy that is sure to enthrall readers. One of the big attractions has to be the magic system which is incredibly cool and unlike any I’ve ever read before. Nadia doesn’t mix potions over a cauldron or recite Latin incantations, her spells require specific emotions. For example, the first spell she casts calls for:

Terror so great it paralyze
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
I don’t think I will ever get tired of reading about witches and demons. I still watch CHARMED on TNT practically every day. I love it! SPELLCASTER is the first in a brand new series by Claudia Gray and it does not disappoint. It’s filled with plenty of magical moments, a light romance, friendships, and it’s also very suspenseful.

The story kicks off with Nadia moving to a new town with her family and being the newbie at school. I immediately thought of hundreds of YA books that start off this w
Nancy Kelley
Mar 09, 2013 Nancy Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I picked this book up after hearing the author speak on the #pitchdarkdays tour. The system of magic sounded unique and intriguing, enough to get me to buy a book I hadn't heard of until that night. I started reading when I got home and only stopped because I was literally too tired to keep my eyes open any longer. Then I picked it up today and read straight through to the end.

So, what makes it a great book? First, the magic IS unique and intriguing. Instead of words, the spells are formed by me
Katie  (Books and Katie)
On My Blog: Books and Katie

Nadia sat back. "You know I'm telling you the truth about how dangerous it is."
"Yeah. I do. Want to protect the people you love. I do, too. But we fall apart or we stand together, right?"

Rating:

Summary:

Nadia was born with the ability to use magic. Her mother, a trained witch, was teaching her the tricks of the trade. Nadia had hopes of becoming the most powerful witch she could possibly be and everything was looking bright, until her mother up and left the family and
the golden witch.
I tried with this one, you guys, I really did. I really enjoyed Gray's previous effort, "Fateful", and I have yet to read her debut series, but I was definitely hoping for more than what I got in this first book of her new trilogy, "Spellcaster". And while some of the technical areas weren't too bad at all, the rest desperately needed work. If you're looking for something new and fresh in the PNR area of things in YA, you might want to look elsewhere.

Did anyone else get a very, very STRONG feeli
AnnaSalvatore
Dec 22, 2015 AnnaSalvatore rated it it was amazing

- German review -

Ich gebe zu, hier hat das Cover mich auf sich aufmerksam gemacht. Als ich dann den spannenden hexenmäßigen Klappentext las, war dieses Buch für mich ein Must Read :)

Cover/Gestaltung
Wirklich eine wunderschöne Klappenbroschur!
Das Kleid, die Nebelschwaden, das Haus, die Sterne, der Himmel ...
Ich habe das Cover sogar schon beim Cover Monday vorgestellt.
Was mich mal wieder an dem Harper Collins Buch störte, ist der Schriftsatz. Es ist sehr kle
♥ Sarah
Nov 24, 2014 ♥ Sarah rated it liked it
My very own soundtrack for this book:
Bright Eyes – Devil Town
Hungry Ghosts – I Don’t Think About You Anymore
Lana Del Rey – Pretty When You Cry
Bjork – Broken
Metric – Help I’m Alive
Dillon – Thirteen thirty-five

This was my first Claudia Gray book and it was (way) better than expected. I’ve been on a reading-for-pleasure hiatus for some time now, but this was the perfect pick-me-up book to get back on the grind.

Even though it was a rather blasé blend of Beautiful Creatures (i.e., the prophetic d
Ashleigh
Jan 20, 2015 Ashleigh rated it it was ok
I don't know what I expected of this book but it certainly wasn't what I found

This book left a lot wanting and I am thoroughly disappointed on the wasted hours I spent reading it. In a way i'm kind of proud of myself that I read this to the end. I held some hope that the final chapters may miraculously get better but they didn't. They certainly did not.

I've never been this wholly let down by a book since the Great Gatsby in High School.

I've heard great things about Claudia Gray's writing for ye
Jenny
Oct 29, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
I think I may have liked this one better than Evernight (and I loved that series!) This was a great tale of the power of witches, good against evil. I loved that while there was a little teen romance, it was kept mostly in the background. The story was mainly about Nadia trying to figure out an age old evil in the small town she's just moved to, while also trying to find her place in the world as an "almost" witch.
Brad Sells
Jun 17, 2015 Brad Sells rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
First read: June 27 to 28, 2013

Ooh! Really enjoyed this one!

Second read: June 15 to 17, 2015

More like a 3.5 rating. I love the magical element behind Spellcaster, but it can be really slow sometimes.
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
Ehhhhh... it was okay. Interesting plot, nice characters, but there was nothing outstanding about the book and I actually found there were some parts that were rather... boring.
Abbie
Mar 10, 2014 Abbie rated it it was ok
Spellcaster had quite a few dull bits.

It had a large dull bit at the beginning, which didn't end until about halfway.
When it finally got interesting at that point, it didn't last for long.
The second half seemed to do a lot of that. There would be a slow patch, and then it would get interesting, but then after a few pages it would start to get boring again.

The characters were okay, but sometimes they could be annoying.

Overall, slow and boring.
I felt relieved when the end came.
Carolina
Mar 24, 2013 Carolina rated it really liked it
Ooohhhmyyyy! I have to read it!
Chelsea
Jan 03, 2016 Chelsea rated it liked it
I can't believe this book was given so much hype!! All over Twitter were my friends posting nonstop comments about this book and telling me how much I totally will enjoy this book, they're 100%! No offense I liked the book but most of the plot left to many questions that felt
unanswered and I couldn't bear the fact that it dragged along and had carried pointless scenes of unnecessary details! If you ask me, I think the author needed to stop with the many POVs because it only made me annoyed! I u
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A young girl with unharnessed power must go against a centuries old witch with perilous power.

Opening Sentence: Before anything else, Nadia felt the chill.

The Review:

Claudia Gray knows how to write paranormal for young adults. In Spellcaster, her latest paranormal series, Gray writes about magic controlled by women. The lore in which Gray created the magic is fascinating. It reminded me of older historical stories of witches, charms, and ge
Paola (A Novel Idea)
Apr 29, 2013 Paola (A Novel Idea) rated it it was ok
Originally posted at Novel Idea Reviews

RATING: 2/5 Stars

This was an underwhelming read for me. From the synopsis, I guess I was expecting something more. At the very least, it seemed like there wouldn’t be an aggravating love triangle to deal with. And no, there isn’t a love triangle in this book, but then again there’s not much of anything else going on either. Everything that could potentially have been compelling always seemed to fall short, and neither the characters nor their relationships
Book Sushi
when reading this book, i kept on getting a de ja vu kind of feeling with the story line. its sort of a cross between Beautiful Creatures and another book i just cant put my finger on.

We meet Nadia who is a witch, her mom left the family so Nadia has no-one to guide her in learning about her powers. They get into an accident and she gets saved by Mateo. Mateo is cursed like his family before him to see visions which will undoubtebly make him go loopy and commit suicide.

Nadia starts uncovering t
  • Life After Theft
  • The Gathering Dark
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Furious
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Chantress (Chantress, #1)
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Revel
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • School Spirits
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Age of the Fifth (Carrier, #3)
  • The Shadow Girl
  • A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy, #3)
  • Hidden (Avena, #1)
1192311
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more
More about Claudia Gray...

Spellcaster (3 books)
  • Steadfast (Spellcaster, #2)
  • Sorceress (Spellcaster, #3)

“Hurting someone you loved was even worse than being hurt. That stayed with you longer, and weighted you down all through the night into dawn.” 14 likes
“No men ever, you said." Verlaine leaned across the table, peering at him. "Mateo, are you maybe-well-transgender? Intersex? No prejudice here. Just support."
Mateo would have started thudding his face against the table in frustration if his pizza hadn't been in the way. "I'm a guy."
"We'll take your word for it.”
6 likes