Start by marking “Why Women Need Fat: How "Healthy" Food Makes Us Gain Excess Weight and the Surprising Solution to Losing It Forever” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The groundbreaking discovery that shows why women need fat to lose fat.

Why do women struggle so much with weight? Can women ever lose weight and keep it off?

In this research-driven and counterintuitive book, an anthropologist and a public health doctor team up to answer those questions. Blending anecdotal evidence with hard science, they explain how women's weight is con
Published December 29th 2011 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Women Need Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Women Need Fat

Donna D
A few years ago, I had one of those pointless online discussions where everyone’s opinion is already fixed. It was on the subject of fat, and fat content in our food. When talking about cooking something (was it carrot soup? maybe it was thai green curry?) my online sparring partner (it *was not* an exchange of ideas, it *was* one fixed idea meets my cry to read the research) stated that coconut milk would never make it into the household “as it has too much fat”.

I was shocked. Didn’t this pers
Rose
Review to come. In sum, really wasn't impressed with the claims this book made on dimensions of health and diet. For a book claiming there weren't a lot of scientific evidence to back certain claims, it really didn't do a good job supporting its respective arguments. Plus, there were just some claims that I, being passionate about health/fitness/wellness, just couldn't get behind at all.
Traci
Interesting take on why women have been gaining weight in modern times. Only thing is that after taking half the book to explain the reason we need to go back to eating more omega-3 fats, and less omega-6 fats, the author says it's very, very difficult given the way food is made/processed today to do so. Um, WHAT? Only suggestions are to eat free-range, grass-fed beef and chicken, try to incorporate more fish, even fish oil capsules if necessary, and then, well, that's it.

OH, except for some age
Angi
I have mixed feelings on this book. I really enjoyed the first part of the book "Why and How We Got Fatter". Any book that helps refute Ancel Key's unsupported and misguided theories on fat and the role it plays on our health gets a thumbs up from me. However, I feel like Gary Taube's books (Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat) are a much more informative and well-documented source of this same subject matter.

The second part of the book is a mix of anthropology and science. It looks
Lara
I have to say that this book was incredibly eye-opening to me.

One of those books that really rang true...I can trace all of the patterns outlined in the book to my own life events. From living in Europe and losing weight effortlessly (even though I was already fairly thin), to moving back to the US and being sick to my stomach every time I put a wheat thin or other "healthy" processed food in my mouth, to the way I gained and lost weight after childbirth.

I am now around 45 pounds over my "natura
Cate
Super interesting read if you are interested in nutrition. It is chock full of good information about why we shouldn't fear fat and why the current imbalance of omega6 / omega3 fats is causing untold health problems - not just the current obesity epidemic. Also a good examination of how, since the advent of corporate farming and processed foods, our average weights have been increasing.
Kara
Catchy title huh?

A few months ago, I received a preview copy of Why Women Need Fat: How "Healthy" Food Makes Us Gain Excess Weight and the Surprising Solution to Losing It Forever. Last week I finally finished it. The title and description caught my attention, since I'm firmly convinced that the insane amount of vegetable oil in the standard American diet (and dearth of healthy saturated fats) is one of the main causes of myriad health issues, not the least of which is obesity. The book was fasc
Trish
Non-Fiction; Nutrition/Diet
1 star

I really need to stop requesting these type of books from Netgalley since they only seem to further my level of frustration toward a genre designed to ‘help’ people in their weight loss goals.

The overall message? You are not at fault because you are overweight.

Really?

Okay, so I agree with Dr. Lassek that body types are body types. If everyone in your family line carries their weight like a spare tire around the middle, chances are pretty good that you are resigne
Julie Presley
I'm not much for educational reading, but when this book came down the pipeline, the title intrigued me. I second guessed signing up for the review b/c I thought it would be boring and tell me a bunch of stuff I already knew, and didn't want to hear again.

What they had to say blew my mind. This book unveils the truth about our food pyramid, why it was developed the way it was, and what's wrong with it. It's all just as I thought: One big conspiracy. The richer getting richer, and the fat getting
Preethi
I had a hard time rating this book, because parts of it I found really interesting, but parts of it really drove me bonkers because of its lack of consistency and scientific backing. It really drove me nuts that there was SO SO much anecdotal evidence, with few supporting or well-researched studeies backing it. The inconsistency in it drove me nuts - Lassek vacillated between claiming that certain foods lacked scientific rigor in being recommended (or not), and between wholeheartedly recommendin ...more
Dina
I am not big on diet books or even the concept of dieting but this book was a surprise. It is filled with practical ways to get your body to its natural weight. There are no quick fixes here but commonsense ways to change the way you eat.

For example:

1. Eating mostly whole foods.
2. Eating organic, grass fed meat.
3. Increasing Omega-3 and decreasing Omega-6.

The last part of the book even lists foods to avoid and ones to eat more regularly.

If you are looking to make a lifestyle change to eat more
Alice
This book describes the results of a fascinating study of fat-and-women researched by a medical doctor and an anthropologist, who originally set out to discover why men (including themselves) prefer/find attractive the traditional "hour glass" figure of women. Along the way their comprehensive study lead them to discover not only why women need fat, but also why we are fat and what makes us fat. (As it turns out, those are NOT the same thing.) The authors are also able to dispel many myths about ...more
Meri
Mar 23, 2012 Meri added it
hmmm. I would say I read slash skimmed this one, as I intended to read it but found it lacking in a lot of "new' information to me. I tried to get real meaning out of the discussions of omega 6 vs omega 3 and in the end- I still am only going to eat as much fat as I feel like, even if its the new "superfood." I like the way that it starts with "case studies," and then moves onto research, historical studies, and trends.
Carly
I read this book as part of the BlogHer book club and it was a fascinating read. I don't agree with the reviewer above who said the book's message is that fat is genetic and you can't help it. There's a lot of discussion about how your body shape has a large genetic factor but it never says you can't control your weight so don't bother to try.

Read my full review: http://carlybananas.com/2012/01/12/wh...
Kerry
It's amazing to me that 2 men had the power-without any research or trials to back it up-to change the evolution of the American diet by saying fat-free is the way to go. It's what's made most American's obese and majorly contributed to heart disease. It is really hard for me to break the fat-free habit and go to full fat but I'm trying. PS-vegetable oil is the devil, and it must be destroyed.
Emma
Kind of odd. They set out to study why men prefer women with small waists... and end up with the conclusion that we need to decrease the Omega 6 in our diets and up the Omega 3s and all will be right with the world. I agree with another reviewer who said that they stuck the diet part in so the book would not languish in the anthropology section
Amanda
I had high hopes for this book and was severely let down. I was not a fan of the message in the book, which essentially was that it's not your fault if you are overweight, it's the company's that make the food. There were a few good insights in the book, however for the most part it was not new information and was a little off for me.
Amy
Not a very well-written book. Frequently redundant, seemingly to expand the topic to the point that it merits a whole book instead of a long article. However, the information is worthwhile. Skim it, but don't read it cover to cover unless you want to read the same thing 3 times.
Toni
As a biochemist, it's great to see a book out that supports our differences, and promotes moderation, with a common sense approach to nutrition and eating. "Eat when you are hungry" should be everyone's mantra. Your body knows how to take care of itself.
Janssen
Some of this was VERY interesting and I read large parts of it outloud to Bart. But I also thought that some of it really dragged and was repetitive. Full review here: http://everydayreading.blogspot.com/2...
Valerie Teo
Revelational! I'm enjoying avocado, walnut, cold pressed extra virgin coconut and olive oils, salmon and tuna sashimi like never before.
Debbie
Interesting read. Validated my beliefs and motivated me to eat healthier.
Kim
Really agree with these views, dieting doesn't work!
Christie
I thought this book was much more interesting than the run-of-the-mill health/nutrition book in its coverage of evolutionary adaptations the human female has made over time to deal with childbirth and how these adaptations relate to women's health and weight. Some of the information was familiar from a nutrition standpoint, but a good chunk of the information was totally new to me. I had a vague concept that our omega-6 to omega-3 ratios where out of whack, but no idea why and just what it could ...more
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015