Start by marking “Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies” as Want to Read:
Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies

Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies

Ten years of research uncover the secret source of growth and profit …

Those who center their business on improving people’s lives have a growth rate triple that of competitors and outperform the market by a huge margin. They dominate their categories, create new categories and maximize profit in the long term.

Pulling from a unique ten year growth study involving 50,000 bra
Published December 27th 2011 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Grow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow

Apr 01, 2014 Jerome rated it really liked it
If you've read anything about starting a business, you've see the terms "mission statement" and "vision statement". And if you've run a business, you know that no matter how much effort goes into crafting a mission and vision, both are easily forgotten when the real work begins. Jim Stengel's Grow teaches about using ideals instead. The ideals statement is the driving force behind the brand and can serve as a litmus test for all decisions from customer service to marketing.

A company driven by an
May 06, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
There are a few interesting business stories in here mostly originating from authors experiences at P&G (Pampers, JIF Peanut Butter, various Czech P&G examples). The stories mostly come from a product marketing/branding perspective with sprinkle of management and customer relations (b2b and consumer). The underlying message is to find the "brand ideal" to inspire employees and customers. It's a old idea I've heard packaged in many forms (finding "noble purpose" is synonym from Lisa McLeo ...more
Nov 07, 2013 Carla rated it really liked it
I read this book as audio book in the car on my way to work. This works fine, except that I won't recall all details of the book. Jim Stengel found in his years at Proctor and Gamble as marketing director how important brand is and in particular what he calls "ideal brand". He gives a lot of insight in how he used that (or better: how he got a better understanding of this concept) during his career with different P&G companies. I found this learning part most interesting. Someone may see it ...more
Della S.white
Jul 08, 2012 Della S.white rated it really liked it
If you can work past some of the "chest thumping" that Stengel does, there are some interesting ideas in this book that are worth considering. This e-book was sent to me from a friend, whose a part of a speaker's bureau to promote Stengel as a speaker, hence the self-promotion.

But, to my surprise,Stengel does have something to say. The basic premise is that companies that build their business model and marketing around ideals will outperform those that do not. He categorizes the ideals that can
Brandon Isaacson
Apr 13, 2012 Brandon Isaacson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, a worthwhile read. The content is excellent and I completely agree with his ideas. His impressive experience and thorough research substantiate the ideas well, he convinced me!

The style was frustrating at times. To broaden that point, the audience is very small and I'm not in it. It felt like Stengel was writing to fellow titans of industry, which is why to some Goodreads reviewers he came off as arrogant (understandably). I didn't mind that, but some will. Also, it's defi
Roger Haskins
Jul 08, 2012 Roger Haskins rated it really liked it
It was a good book in terms of the general power of branding, but was misplaced in the cause and effect of that role in growth. Branding is huge in creating a successful business and when done by the best, the rewards of that effort are obvious. The problem I have here is that in terms of an economic indicator, this would be a lagging indicator. The power of a brand is an aftereffect of all the time, money, energy establishing that brand. So I would suggest the work spent cultivating the reliabl ...more
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Stengel, former CMO of P&G, spearheaded an eye-opening 10-year growth study of 50,000 companies which reveals that those with a 'brand ideal' that is focused on improving its customers' lives in one or more of five ways outperformed the S&P 500 by 393%. His book, which will be out in December, details why and how.
Ben Handler
Dec 28, 2013 Ben Handler rated it really liked it
A very intriguing book with some very interesting and thought provocative research/theories on why certain brands outperform the majority.

I did find the book sometimes monotonous and slow.

Jim Stengel was CMO at Procter and Gamble (P&G) and whilst he interacted with the best brands in the world, he was so fascinated as to why certain brands leap ahead of others. Jim actually left P&G and joined force with a group (Millward Brown) who specialises in rating the worlds best brands.

The book
Dec 16, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
If you can work past some of the "chest thumping" that Stengel does, there are some interesting ideas in this book that are worth considering. The book was sent to me from a speaker's bureau to promote Stengel as a speak, hence the self-promotion.

But Stengel does have something to say. The basic premise is that companies that build their business model and marketing around ideals will outperform those that do not. He categorizes the ideals that can be the basis for the model and marketing. He qu
Jul 18, 2016 Sayre rated it it was amazing
An incredibly effective way to identify and realize your brand in a way that authentically engages your clients/customers; much more effective than branding around inanimate objects - i.e., "We're like a Volvo..."
May 11, 2015 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-general
There are business books you skim, others you read, and others you read and keep as a reference. This book is the latter. A consummate handbook for building and maintaining brand strategy and reputation.
Monica Villa
Aug 18, 2016 Monica Villa rated it liked it
I didn't finish listening to this on audio because my loan ran out and I'm just not pulled in enough to check it out again. I love the message about choosing an ideal for your business to run from, but I wasn't even halfway through and it was already like beating a dead horse...there were repeated promises about sharing techniques, etc, but at that point I already didn't feel like I had taken enough away from it.
Dec 06, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
This book is a fantastic thought provoker and helps you really think about how you want to craft a business or product that actually means something. I am fully with Jim on his thoughts about business going forward. People are already selecting and will select products and services that go beyond just the product and the price. He talks about how people are looking to connect with a business at an emotional level.

I think anyone that is trying to craft a vision for where they want to take a busi
May 06, 2016 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-read, business
Some of the stories about companies and the way they hope to be seen by consumers were interesting. Here's a tip from the book. After meetings, ask yourself, “What did we learn? What could we do better? Are we excited about the outcome?”
Aug 12, 2015 BLACK CAT rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, marketing
Brand equity plus career achievements and challenges of the author.
Jan 18, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it
Recommended to Pamela by: Digitas staff
Shelves: business
Inspiring approach to business success - ideal based branding. Would rate 3.5.
Jan 31, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
thought this might be another collins book, but was pleasantly surprised by the depth of insight and transferable learnings. a gem that i'll surely return to study more thoroughly. must read for any brand marketer.
Jan 16, 2013 Zaved rated it really liked it

It's really an easy reading book and talks about how we need to do good central to what we do for our consumers and customers and make money out of it. Loved it.
Jon Kinning
Dec 07, 2012 Jon Kinning rated it did not like it
Shelves: punted
Author is quite proud of himself. I couldn't make it through this book or past him promoting himself and how smart he is. I punted after 100 pages and I rarely punt.
Jun 19, 2012 Jon rated it did not like it
was really just this guy talking about his work at proctor and gamble, really got nothing out of it. A struggle to get through and I was listening to it.

I really enjoyed this book - it's changed the way that I look at companies and their purpose in today's economy.
Jan 24, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Some good ideas, but also a lot of stuff that works in theory but might not work in practice.
Nov 02, 2012 CJ rated it liked it
His resume is not as interesting as the business lessons.
Regnar Arpon
May 27, 2012 Regnar Arpon rated it really liked it
It helps me understand how great businesses become great
Erwet Sie
Erwet Sie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Taylor Smiley
Taylor Smiley marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Maria Myers
Maria Myers is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2016
Justin added it
Sep 19, 2016
Sofia added it
Sep 18, 2016
Jayati Grover
Jayati Grover marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
  • Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire
  • Get Rid of the Performance Review!: How Companies Can Stop Intimidating, Start Managing--and Focus on What Really Matters
  • Too Many Bosses, Too Few Leaders: The Three Essential Principles You Need to Become an Extraordinary Leader
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances And Results from Knowledge Workers
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn't Work and Other Surprising Lessons fromthe Latest Brain Science
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Commitment Engine: Teaching Your Business to Manage Itself
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation

“Remain stuck inside your current business model, and your business’s days are numbered. Make a brand ideal your North Star, and the sky’s the limit.” 0 likes