Start by marking “Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies” as Want to Read:
Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies

Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ten years of research uncover the secret source of growth and profit …

Those who center their business on improving people’s lives have a growth rate triple that of competitors and outperform the market by a huge margin. They dominate their categories, create new categories and maximize profit in the long term.

Pulling from a unique ten year growth study involving 50,000 bra
Published December 27th 2011 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Grow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow

Jerome
If you've read anything about starting a business, you've see the terms "mission statement" and "vision statement". And if you've run a business, you know that no matter how much effort goes into crafting a mission and vision, both are easily forgotten when the real work begins. Jim Stengel's Grow teaches about using ideals instead. The ideals statement is the driving force behind the brand and can serve as a litmus test for all decisions from customer service to marketing.

A company driven by an
Daniel
There are a few interesting business stories in here mostly originating from authors experiences at P&G (Pampers, JIF Peanut Butter, various Czech P&G examples). The stories mostly come from a product marketing/branding perspective with sprinkle of management and customer relations (b2b and consumer). The underlying message is to find the "brand ideal" to inspire employees and customers. It's a old idea I've heard packaged in many forms (finding "noble purpose" is synonym from Lisa McLeo ...more
Carla
I read this book as audio book in the car on my way to work. This works fine, except that I won't recall all details of the book. Jim Stengel found in his years at Proctor and Gamble as marketing director how important brand is and in particular what he calls "ideal brand". He gives a lot of insight in how he used that (or better: how he got a better understanding of this concept) during his career with different P&G companies. I found this learning part most interesting. Someone may see it ...more
Della S.white
If you can work past some of the "chest thumping" that Stengel does, there are some interesting ideas in this book that are worth considering. This e-book was sent to me from a friend, whose a part of a speaker's bureau to promote Stengel as a speaker, hence the self-promotion.

But, to my surprise,Stengel does have something to say. The basic premise is that companies that build their business model and marketing around ideals will outperform those that do not. He categorizes the ideals that can
Brandon Isaacson
I really enjoyed this, a worthwhile read. The content is excellent and I completely agree with his ideas. His impressive experience and thorough research substantiate the ideas well, he convinced me!

The style was frustrating at times. To broaden that point, the audience is very small and I'm not in it. It felt like Stengel was writing to fellow titans of industry, which is why to some Goodreads reviewers he came off as arrogant (understandably). I didn't mind that, but some will. Also, it's defi
Roger Haskins
It was a good book in terms of the general power of branding, but was misplaced in the cause and effect of that role in growth. Branding is huge in creating a successful business and when done by the best, the rewards of that effort are obvious. The problem I have here is that in terms of an economic indicator, this would be a lagging indicator. The power of a brand is an aftereffect of all the time, money, energy establishing that brand. So I would suggest the work spent cultivating the reliabl ...more
Ben Handler
A very intriguing book with some very interesting and thought provocative research/theories on why certain brands outperform the majority.

I did find the book sometimes monotonous and slow.

Jim Stengel was CMO at Procter and Gamble (P&G) and whilst he interacted with the best brands in the world, he was so fascinated as to why certain brands leap ahead of others. Jim actually left P&G and joined force with a group (Millward Brown) who specialises in rating the worlds best brands.

The book
Andrew
If you can work past some of the "chest thumping" that Stengel does, there are some interesting ideas in this book that are worth considering. The book was sent to me from a speaker's bureau to promote Stengel as a speak, hence the self-promotion.

But Stengel does have something to say. The basic premise is that companies that build their business model and marketing around ideals will outperform those that do not. He categorizes the ideals that can be the basis for the model and marketing. He qu
MVV
There are business books you skim, others you read, and others you read and keep as a reference. This book is the latter. A consummate handbook for building and maintaining brand strategy and reputation.
Joe
This book is a fantastic thought provoker and helps you really think about how you want to craft a business or product that actually means something. I am fully with Jim on his thoughts about business going forward. People are already selecting and will select products and services that go beyond just the product and the price. He talks about how people are looking to connect with a business at an emotional level.

I think anyone that is trying to craft a vision for where they want to take a busi
Pamela
Jan 18, 2015 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pamela by: Digitas staff
Shelves: business
Inspiring approach to business success - ideal based branding. Would rate 3.5.
Joyce
thought this might be another collins book, but was pleasantly surprised by the depth of insight and transferable learnings. a gem that i'll surely return to study more thoroughly. must read for any brand marketer.
Zaved

It's really an easy reading book and talks about how we need to do good central to what we do for our consumers and customers and make money out of it. Loved it.
Jon Kinning
Author is quite proud of himself. I couldn't make it through this book or past him promoting himself and how smart he is. I punted after 100 pages and I rarely punt.
Jon
was really just this guy talking about his work at proctor and gamble, really got nothing out of it. A struggle to get through and I was listening to it.

Christina
I really enjoyed this book - it's changed the way that I look at companies and their purpose in today's economy.
Some good ideas, but also a lot of stuff that works in theory but might not work in practice.
CJ
His resume is not as interesting as the business lessons.
Regnar Arpon
It helps me understand how great businesses become great
YK Toh
YK Toh marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Juan Heguertty
Juan Heguertty is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Lisa Nguyen
Lisa Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Steve Knezevich
Steve Knezevich marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Seth
Seth marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Mark Rogers
Mark Rogers is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Siddhartha Jain
Siddhartha Jain marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
  • Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Too Many Bosses, Too Few Leaders: The Three Essential Principles You Need to Become an Extraordinary Leader
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell (and Live) the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances And Results from Knowledge Workers
  • Ten Deadly Marketing Sins: Signs and Solutions
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Got Game: How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's 50 Greatest Companies Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World’s 50 Greatest Companies